Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Intel UEFI RAID configuration in BIOS setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Intel UEFI RAID configuration in BIOS setup?

So new version UEFI for Z77 Extreme 4 board, 2.80, contains a patch for a model of G.SKILL memory, and this:

Support Intel UEFI RAID configuration in BIOS setup.

That is a copy and paste from the description on the BIOS download page.

I installed the 2.80 UEFI, and I'm sure I have it since that version is displayed in the UEFI setup, in AXTU, and other utilities.

So I check the UEFI from top to bottom, and find nothing new. The Storage Configuration option is an obvious place to check, right? Nothing new there. No new tools listed in the Advanced Options menu. Nothing about this that I can see anywhere.

Well maybe a confusion, and a new RAID Option ROM was installed. That was done once before in UEFI version 2.00, to 11.2.0.1527. Ok, check the Option ROM version... nope, still 11.2.0.1527.

So I don't get it, what's going on? Anyone with this board and 2.80 see anything in the UEFI about this? The Z77 Extreme 6 board had a similar UEFI update with this new feature about a week before my board.

The term "in BIOS setup" is pretty clear, we know what that is, right? "Support Intel UEFI RAID configuration" implies at least a setting of some kind, I assume.

Anyone have a clue about this?

Re: What Intel UEFI RAID configuration in BIOS setup?

I don't have that board, but my understanding is that it will remove the Intel RAID screen on boot up, and speed up boot time by a whole 6-7 seconds. It's requires GPT partitions, UEFI raid drivers, and is only supported using Windows 8.

Here is a description and instructions for their X79 based board:

ASRock New UEFI Technology - Faster Boot Speed for Your RAID system - YouTube

Comment

Thanks for that William. Without watching the video, I think I'm seeing the behavior you described now. Yes, I am booting Windows 8 from an Intel IRST RAID volume, formatted in GPT. Normally, even when the Option ROM Display setting is disabled, the Intel IRST UI available during POST is still momentarily displayed, and it no longer does that with the new UEFI installed.

While this feature is Ok, the description of it, Support Intel UEFI RAID configuration in BIOS setup, is completely incorrect relative to what actually happens.

Comment

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I learned how it works, by accident really, and I was wrong wrong wrong!

The description from ASRock, Support Intel UEFI RAID configuration in BIOS setup is really correct, my Apologies to ASRock for my previous comments.

I will say that you must do a fair amount of reading between the lines before it makes sense. Or once you actually see it, you get it.

So I'll fill in the details: Support Intel UEFI RAID configuration in BIOS setup

If you are running Windows 8, in a true UEFI boot mode (not CSM/BIOS emulation mode), and have the Ultra Fast boot mode enabled (which only works with Win 8 in a true UEFI boot), then in the Advanced options menu of my boards UEFI, an option appears, Intel RAID Configuration. This option provides most if not all the Intel RAID configuration options found in the Intel RAID Option ROM, that normally appears during POST, when the SATA mode is set to RAID, etc.

Ok, so what is the point of this option, you may rightly ask. It's a convenience if you are using Ultra Fast boot mode.

When Ultra Fast boot mode is active (with all the requirements listed above), there seems to be no POST in the conventional sense. From a cold start, a few lines of POST-type text are displayed for ~one second, and then you see the Win 8 boot screen and dots moving in a circle for a second or two, screen goes black for a second, and the standard Win 8 Metro screen is displayed. That takes less than ten seconds from the time you press the power button. Literally. With Win 8 on a SSD, of course.

Given this, you cannot get into the UEFI/BIOS at all, impossible. ASRock explains that much in the Ultra Fast boot option Help text. Also no access to Option ROMs... like the Intel RAID Configuration Option ROM. To even get into the UEFI when in Ultra Fast boot mode, you must run the ASRock Restart to UEFI utility in Windows, which immediately either restarts the PC right into the UEFI, or shuts down and will go directly into the UEFI when you cold start. This utility worked fine for me, the few times I've used it.

Frankly, this feature won't be a big deal to most people, or even to those that use RAID volumes, as I do. It is a nice demonstration of what can be done in the UEFI booting environment. I don't know if other mother board manufactures have this feature, or if ASRock itself wrote the code for the RAID configuration, or if it is some type of integration of existing Intel OROM code, that can be run by the UEFI. I'll need to try it and see if it works, but from what I did see, it seemed fine.

Nice work ASRock, although I don't know if this feature will attract more customers, at least in the short term. I'm impressed... and how many more puzzles are hiding in the UEFI?

Comment

Hey Par,

Sorry to get off track on this persons post, but a quick one, do you have to have GPT and onboard video enabled, plus ultra fast to run the UEFI on this board ? When you say all requirements, I don't see much.

Comment

Odie, "this person's" post is my post, so I can decide if it's off track... and you definitely are not off track!

Since I wrote so much in my last post, I left a few details out that I hoped would create some interest, and you took the bait!

BTW, thanks for actually reading it.

But then, you... !@#$%^&, you put all the missing details in a few words (I could learn something from that...)

You are correct sir! Yes you must have a GPT partitioned disk/volume, booted in UEFI mode, using Win 8 with Ultra Fast boot enabled.

But then as you mentioned, there is the ultimate sacrifice, the one I dared not mention, for others to know my shame... you must use the onboard video!

I basically know why that is, but I'm fuzzy on a detail or two. There is a UEFI video requirement that the discrete video card must support GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) in its VBIOS. Apparently, very few discrete video cards currently support GOP, but I'm not a video card expert. But, for example, many new Win 8 laptop PCs likely have a discrete mobile graphics chip, and likely boot in UEFI mode, so they must have GOP support. I also could not find any mention of GOP for the Intel on-CPU graphics, so the GOP thing may be only required by separate video cards.

I imagine that GOP support in a video card's VBIOS will be a new feature some people will look for, or is already out there. Are you aware of any?

Comment

ROLOL, just call me eagle eye.

See I'm getting worse. LOL

Let's take two laptops, as for using a desktop with onboard is nut's when a card blows any onboard out of the water.

If we have one UEFI, one efi in sleep mode, do you know what are the actual benefits between the two, and is it really worth it ?

If you have any of this info on your underwear and aren't ready to put you pajamas on I understand.

Can I ask one other Q.

Someone posted on OCZ how they have SSD's loaded wit all different OS, and it takes 5 seconds to swap, how can they do this when the table is in the BIOS like win 7.
              I assumed you always had to triple boot.

Comment

Your first question is confusing, but I think you mean why use Ultra Fast boot with on board graphics and shut the PC down, rather than just use Sleep with a video card (most of the time, you write to little to express your points, your earlier point I liked was just lucky it made sense... )

Well, you shutdown with Ultra Fast boot and on board graphics so you can show off how fast your PC boots.

It's also fun to see that work (not sick of it yet.)

An excuse to use Window 8.

Also, you save the ~one Watt of power used in Sleep mode by your Gold or Platinum power supply.

Finally, it gives you an excuse to use the on board graphics (hey, maybe this will work with Lucid Virtu and a video card... OMG there is no chance... )

Regarding your second question, Windows 8 apparently has a "boot loader", via the Metro interface, that could allow what that post in the OCZ forum was about. Don't know anything about it right now.

Thanks for (not) answering my questions.

Comment

You help me out, answer questions, and now you expect a little work out of me, shhhsh.

I do remember reading about GOP on cards, can't remember if it was on mydigital or when I was looking at the next GPU after GF GTX, I'll get back to you.

Comment

I don't see any cards that allow the BIOS to be set in ultra boot mode, but Evga say's they are working on it and want to put out a update so this will work.

This is like Intel putting out lga 2011 but leaving out a cpu with pci-e 3.0, YAAAA .

From what I read, it will never happen on any GTX 500 series cards, but with 600.

So this could be good, formatting to GPT which is useless under 2tb drives, and having ultra boot instead of sleep.

Comment

Your info on the graphics cards is basically what I have seen, but I could have missed something. Since the latest 600 series cards don't have this, GOP support for UEFI booting has been ignored (I can't believe they forgot or overlooked this.)

The basic point of UEFI firmware is a replacement for the old BIOS firmware, which is overdue. The GUI that UEFI firmware provides is only one new feature that it brings to the PC world. Other features it has is secure booting, but these two things are just a beginning. BIOS firmware is (I think) limited to 1MB of space for its code, Option ROMS, etc. UEFI firmware is 8MB, so there should be more room to use for OROMs, etc. IMO, it is to early to decide that UEFI firmware capabilities are no big deal, we've barely scratched the surface of using it.

The reality of UEFI usage today is that 99% of people with boards that have UEFI firmware are only using its GUI feature. All these UEFIs contain a Compatibility Support Module (CSM) that is enabled by default, which causes the UEFI to function as if it were a standard BIOS, I call that BIOS emulation. AFAIK, the first generation of mother boards with UEFI firmware are not even able to disable the CSM. While UEFI booting support goes back to Vista, how many people know it exists? I didn't until very recently. Plus it was not until Windows 8 that the secure boot feature is supported.

The first use (need) for the GPT partition table is to allow addressing of disks larger than 2TB. That is caused by the MBR's limit of using 32bit addresses. So while your PC may support 64bit OS's and applications, MBR disk formatting is 32bits. Do we really want to stay with that?

UEFI firmware acceptance reminds me of the use of AHCI drivers, the features they have are really useful, but we don't understand them all yet. It took until 2010 for AHCI to be the common default SATA mode, but it was designed long before that.

I don't know enough about UEFI firmware to describe it properly, but it's not just a gimmick, it's been available for years but we are only starting to use it.

Comment

Its a pretty BIOS with flowers, rainbows, happy thoughts.

That's only Evega, I haven't seen anything from MSI, XFX, Asus, see, we are coaxed into all the hype, the thrill, but no ba lls to back it up or use it.

Just as we see an OS get faster boots, SSD's giving real fast boots, we get Ultra boot WTF. How about we get things when we need then.

When they make the BIOS so we can add features, ROMS with ease, be able to control fans better and actually have them run at what we set them at, then its a real nice BIOS.

AHCI didn't matter, a junk HDD can't even break SATA 1, then you had all the people who saw SATA 3 and thought it was going to be amazing and had no clue it was all just for compatibility.

People asking, I got a SATA 3 HDD why am I getting only 100MB speed ?, because you were fooled.

Just like with enabling 2TB, we are going to SSD, where was this when we had HDD's ? tell me. ROLOL

We need someone who has a computer telling them how it should be, cause right now, its like they never had one. We had a major intersection and highway, it was a huge cluster mess, later we found out the engineer didn't have a drivers license.

Comment

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Comment

OMGosh, you want to equate SATA III HDDs with UEFI firmware? You're at least partially messing with me, I hope...

Consider that BIOS firmware only works at the 16bit level, and therefore can only address system memory with 16bit addresses. It can't even use 4GB of memory. UEFI has 64bit addressing, is that just smoke and fast booting?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                              OMGosh, you want to equate SATA III HDDs with UEFI firmware? You're at least partially messing with me, I hope...

Consider that BIOS firmware only works at the 16bit level, and therefore can only address system memory with 16bit addresses. It can't even use 4GB of memory. UEFI has 64bit addressing, is that just smoke and fast booting?
                              A little, but the main point pushed is the GPT 3TB, how many 3TB SSD's do you have ? lol

The memory is a huge difference, which gives a hugs plus, the interface which can go into all kinds of faces, settings . We see speed, maintenance, business advantage.

Secure boot, don't really have an opinion.

The disadvantage is attacks, there will be attacks, no matter what is done, software will be attacked.

I also hear with the future we might not have a socket.

Comment

Working...
                              X