Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev.1 Memory Upgrade Issue

Hey guys

first time poster here and this is the only forum I saw that people were getting help and replies, so I'm going to give this a try

I recently got a great deal on a 16GB kit of Kingston HyperX Blu (2x8GB) and I can't seem to get my pc to boot up with them in my desktop, I thought at first that it could be an issue of simply not being triple channel memory but then came to think that my current setup (Corsair XM3 2x2GB Kit) isn't triple channel either

anyone have any ideas?

I was gonna update my bios since it's outdated (F4) but I didn't want to mess anything up because it wouldn't work using QFlash

any help would be greatly appreciated, this has been quite a frustrating ordeal and I really don't know what to do at this point

Re: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev.1 Memory Upgrade Issue

I would try flashing F6. with it you should be able to use QFlash without issue and both F5 and F6 are for memory compatibility. I'd start there.

Here is a guide to updating your bios; http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html

beyond that we would need a complete hardware listing as we may have to adjust voltages in the bios.

now are you aware that by losing a channel you are losing 1/3 of the speed your memory should be delivering? that's a pretty big hit.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win10-64Bit
    CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
    MB = Asus ROG C6H
    GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
    HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
    CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
    Mem = 24GB RAM
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
    HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
    Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by Lildesperato View Post
      Hey guys

first time poster here and this is the only forum I saw that people were getting help and replies, so I'm going to give this a try

I recently got a great deal on a 16GB kit of Kingston HyperX Blu (2x8GB) and I can't seem to get my pc to boot up with them in my desktop, I thought at first that it could be an issue of simply not being triple channel memory but then came to think that my current setup (Corsair XM3 2x2GB Kit) isn't triple channel either

anyone have any ideas?

I was gonna update my bios since it's outdated (F4) but I didn't want to mess anything up because it wouldn't work using QFlash

any help would be greatly appreciated, this has been quite a frustrating ordeal and I really don't know what to do at this point
      I plan on upgrading myself. I thought to check the max memory module size for my board which is identical to yours, that is 4gb.

to get 16gb you fill all 4 slots with 4gb modules. That is the maximum memory for this board.

8gb modules just won't work at all of the documentation is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok666 View Post
        I plan on upgrading myself. I thought to check the max memory module size for my board which is identical to yours, that is 4gb.

to get 16gb you fill all 4 slots with 4gb modules. That is the maximum memory for this board.

8gb modules just won't work at all of the documentation is right.
        do we know this for sure?

even with the bios updates?

Comment

the board and CPU can support 24GB max of memory. that is based on filling all 6 slots with 4GB modules. I believe some people have used 3x8GB to achieve 24GB before but can't find the threads.

Vin
          Main Rig
          OS = Win10-64Bit
          CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
          Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
          MB = Asus ROG C6H
          GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
          HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
          PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
          Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
          OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
          CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
          Mem = 24GB RAM
          MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
          GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
          HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
          Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
          PSU = Corsair TX750
          Case = Define R5

Comment

I was thinking EX58, Doh.

Comment