SB X-fi MB2 Not working on UD5H, Win8, latest Realtek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SB X-fi MB2 Not working on UD5H, Win8, latest Realtek

I have a UD5H mainboard, Windows 8 Pro x64, Realtek 2.70 (6844, latest from station-drivers) and trouble installing SoundBlaster X-fi MB 2 (1.0.0.3) software. I use this mostly due to the THX sound enhancements, but I fear the whole package may not work right. This combination worked with the RealTek driver (6828) until I upgraded to 6844. Here are my steps:

1. Uninstall both the Realtek and Soundblaster MB software, rebooting and restarting as the software says.
    2. Install the Realtek HD Audio driver version 2.70 (6844) and perform the restart.
    3. Install the Soundblaster X-fi MB2 (1.0.0.3) software (full) from Gigabyte’s site. During the install at about 75% completion I get two dialog window messages:
    a. Installation is unable to continue because one or more unresolved issues. Please contact support services and quote “Error I-010”
    b. DoInstall fails to launch C:\Users\Brent\Downloads\Creative\CreativeSB\Audio \..\CTRedist\ASFXGB\SETUP.INX. DoInstall return error code is -2147213312
    4. It says installation is complete and it asks me to reboot again.
    5. It reboots fine, but now SoundBlaster Console and THX TruStudio Pro Settings both say they cannot find a compatible device.

I did uninstall everything and go back to the July 19, 2012 Realtek HD Audio driver on Gigabyte's site then reinstalled the SB X-Fi software, but got these same error messages. I figure the SB software is not seeing the Realtek driver as one for a Gigabyte motherboard. I presume the software on Gigabyte’s site is looking for a Gigabyte board.

So, any idea on how to get this error not to happen during install and having Sound Blaster Console and THX TruStudio Pro recognized the driver/motherboard?

Thanks in Advance,
    Kranky

Re: SB X-fi MB2 Not working on UD5H, Win8, latest Realtek

I'm only guessing that you are running a GA-Z77X-UD5H? I would try and rollback the driver, failing that see if there is a system restore point (I don't used Win8 much yet) restore to before you had all this fun.

Now I have had similar issues like this in the past with laptops where drivers need to be installed in the right order for things to work properly.

but if you are upgrading the audio driver on an onboard controller I would also update the chipset driver first for good measure if you have not already done so (or if win8 will let you).

If you can update your signature with a complete hardware list (and update the thread title to show your MB's complete number and version if it applies) it may get more hits on help.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win10-64Bit
    CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
    MB = Asus ROG C6H
    GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
    HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
    CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
    Mem = 24GB RAM
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
    HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
    Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Define R5

Comment

Hey Kranky, I also have a UD5H. I have not experienced the same issues as you though (but a minor one). Right now I'm using the reference Gigabyte Realtek drivers from GB's website + the X-Fi MB2 stuff and all is well on Win 7x64.

However, when I upgraded to 2.70 Realteks from Realtek I noticed that the Microphone sound effects from X-FI (like making your self sound like a Robot etc.) weren't working so I reverted back to the GB drivers and gained back the functionality.

As for your issues maybe it is some type of install incompatibility with Win8, or something messed up during install and your uninstall didn't remove everything correctly, you could try Driver Fusion - The Complete Driver Solution using the free version and seeing if removing any left over traces of the drivers for Realtek would help.

Comment

I'm going to update my sig in a bit. It was the old system before. At one point I should have gone back to the last restore point, but I pressed forward with completely removing things and resinstalling. I did not want to go back so far that other things were missing. Up until this version (6844) I was able to update the Realtek drivers with no issue. Now it made Console and THX not see the valid motherboard. I suppose I could wait until the next version of Realtek and try then. One thing I did notice while looking back is the version I just installed was for Win7 and 8 x64. The previous version was for 'allos' from the description and this older version was larger. I wondered if there was some minute difference. It sounds well enough with the Realtek only drivers, but the SB X-Fi added a bit of umph to the sound. I'll give that driver fusion a try though.

Comment

restore points should always be there... it should still be an option if all else fails.

Vin
          Main Rig
          OS = Win10-64Bit
          CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
          Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
          MB = Asus ROG C6H
          GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
          HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
          PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
          Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
          OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
          CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
          Mem = 24GB RAM
          MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
          GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
          HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
          Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
          PSU = Corsair TX750
          Case = Define R5

Comment

Realtek 2.70 (6844) have incomplete drivers (a lot of .inf files missing) ,so I am still on 6828.
            Just info.

Restore points is OK, if you have 1 OS on the drive.
            2 or more OS (XP/Win7/Win8) on the same drive will erase any restore point when you change OS.
            Last edited by stasio; 02-28-2013, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Thanks Stasio. I bet that's what's happening with the driver install, something that the X-fi software needs is not being installed on the 6844's. Is there ever a source for release notes? They must be small changes since the update the drivers monthly at least. I think I can wait this one out. Oh, and thanks for keeping the driver and bios sticky threads going and updated. It's keep my two gigabyte boards up-to-date. Now I just need to get a powersupply for my P45 board that can supply enough power.

Originally posted by stasio View Post
              Realtek 2.70 (6844) have incomplite drivers (a lot of .inf files missing) ,so I am still on 6828.
              Just info.

Restore points is OK, if you have 1 OS on the drive.
              2 or more OS (XP/Win7/Win8) on the same drive will erase any restore point when you change OS.

Comment

Working...
              X