Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Issues

Hi!

I've built 3 computers in the last year and the first 2 went quite smoothly. Both used very similar parts with only the odd change (e.g., motherboard).

The third computer also had very similar parts. More specifically:
    CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 2X4GB DDR3-1600
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 EXTREME4
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional HX750W
    Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
    Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD (Fermi) 1280MB
    Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
    Case: Zalman Z9 Plus
    And a hard drive from a couple years ago.

However, this third computer runs a lot slower than the first two computers, even though they all had the same CPU, RAM, cooler, and nearly identical power supply.

Not only does it run slower, but when playing games, it's slow at times and stutters (as it's not fully fluid at times). However, it has a better graphics card than my computer (I have a EVGA GTX 560 Ti).

I feel bad as I made this computer for my brother and it's not performing at the level it should be!

I have even swapped out his graphics card into my computer, and it ran smoothly. And I put my graphics card into his computer, and it ran laggy just as before. So I would rule out the graphics card.

I have a feeling it may be some problem with the motherboard.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help! :-)

Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Issues

What bios are you running? also have u tried benchmarking and comparing to other systems?

Comment

Is there any "!" cautions/warnings showing in Device Manager?

I know you don't want to hear this, but I'd re-seat the CPU and ram too.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

First thoughts, are you sure that the heat sink is making good contact with the cpu? How about temperatures, are they ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex White View Post
          What bios are you running? also have u tried benchmarking and comparing to other systems?
          I think bios version was 2.4. I have not tried benchmarking. Any suggestions for tests?

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
          Is there any "!" cautions/warnings showing in Device Manager?

I know you don't want to hear this, but I'd re-seat the CPU and ram too.
          I didn't notice any "!" but I will have to check again, as I don't have access to his computer right now, so I have to gather information for when he brings it back.

I will also re-seat the RAM. However, is there any way to see if it's the CPU before re-seating that as well?

Originally posted by Bluemeanie View Post
          First thoughts, are you sure that the heat sink is making good contact with the cpu? How about temperatures, are they ok?
          I'm pretty sure it's making good contact as I built the computer with another person and we were both very careful and precise at that step. Always a possibility, though.

I will also check the temperatures.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by Snaketank View Post
            Hi!

I've built 3 computers in the last year and the first 2 went quite smoothly. Both used very similar parts with only the odd change (e.g., motherboard).
            And a hard drive from a couple years ago...
            That caught my eye, is this a fresh OS installation, of which OS? All drivers installed, but most importantly the chipset files (INF) and the Intel ME software?

Using default BIOS settings? Are you using the Intel SATA ports, or the ASMedia? The ASMedia ports are the top two on the stack of ports, the Intel ports below them. The Intel SATA interface performs much better. What SATA mode are you using?

Comment

Yes, reformatted and a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.

All drivers were installed. INF for sure. However, I'm not too sure if Intel Management Engine drive was installed.

Using default BIOS settings. Not sure what SATA ports I'm using. Will have to check. SATA mode is AHCI.

Comment

Did you erase the HDD or did you just format, you don't format from NTFS to NTFS, when you fresh install a OS, it's actually left over in windows from the old day's, and now for when you need to change a format.

You need to really zero the drive out, bench it, it might need a low level, but it can beat an older drive. The first thing really to do is bench system with something like sandra, this way you can see what is lacking and not just appears to be. I'm going with you need a SSD, even if you throw a 60g and place the OS on it, and all apps and programs on a HDD.

As for graph, you need to try an older WHQL driver, and the newest BETA or WHQL, if Nvidia, the newest BETA went WHQL. 314.22

AHCI mode for a HDD is almost useless, flash drives can be faster then a HDD today. But still you need to go through BIOS, and set memory, north and south bridge settings, drives, PCI-E, boot, temps.

Make sure you have 2.80 BIOS, use instant flash, put it on something that is fat fat32, flash drive(example). Switch memory sticks, if you have A1, B1, switch them around, if you are using A channel, try B channel, that is A2 slot and B2 slot.

You don't need Intel Management Engine drive installed.
                Last edited by odiebugs; 03-28-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by odiebugs View Post

You don't need Intel Management Engine drive installed.
                  With Z77 boards, you do. If you don't install it, you'll see problems in Device Manager. I think PCIe 3.0 won't work without IME.

IME on 7 series boards even has an auto-update capability built into it. Why Intel is paranoid about this, I don't know.

Comment

Last edited by odiebugs; 03-29-2013, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X