Gigabyte GA H55M - S2H M/B Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA H55M - S2H M/B Problem

Hopefully I can explain here what happens when I power up my Gigabyte GA H55M - S2H M/B (with a i3 CPU that has been tested as has the whole unit ) ..the problem is the m/b ... can somebody please advise me if this is a symptom they recognise...
    I push the power switch and the power goes on ....the Fan gives a PULSE and gives continual Pulses every couple of seconds as though it wants to go ...til after aprox 1/2 a minute everything powers off and immediately powers up again going through the same scenario ...repeatedly..
    There is no evidence of the Hard Drive going......

Would be grateful for any comment identifying why this is happening..Thanks Hk

Re: Gigabyte GA H55M - S2H M/B Problem

Welcome to the forum.

How old is your Enermax 600 power supply? What is the full model name/number of your psu?
    Can you borrow another power supply to test with?
    Do you have additional usb hubs or devices connected to your motherboard.

Please provide a complete detailed list of all the hardware in your system.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

OK..Some time ago I purchased a PC with a Gigabyte GA H55M - S2H MB and i7 CPU......It turned out to be faulty...I did not know if it was the M/B or the intel i7 CPU... then recently I purchased a Gigabyte Ga-HH55M-USB3 with a i3 with the idea to test the faulty PC.....So I removed the Gigabyte GA H55M - S2H and installed the Gigabyte Ga-HH55M-USB3 MB in the case with the i3 CPU , installed my Enermax Model 701AX-VE (W) 24P as the PSU (do not know how old it is but know there is nothing wrong with it) a couple of sticks of 2gb Ram and a 320GB Seagate Hard Drive with Windows XP OS on it...and along with a friend who was on Skype the computer was powered up without a problem and XP sp3 was fully bought up to date.........(no SoundCard Graphic card etc were installed ...all onboard) SO I then removed the i3 CPU and replaced it with the i7.....the Computer would not power up....so the i7 was faulty but what about the Gigabyte GA H55M - S2H ....Well I knew the i3 CPU was OK so I took out the Gigabyte Ga-HH55M-USB3 and put in the Gigabyte GA H55M - S2H ...installed the i3 CPU and a single 2gb stick of ram ...connected everything including the Hard Drive and powered up?? with the result as explained in my original post....So everything has been tested and works ...so the problem is clearly with the Gigabyte GA H55M - S2H M/B .....naturally I am hoping that the pulsating fan etc will ring a bell with some forum member and they can advise me ....If I can salvage anything ??? Now I could do a small video of what happens when powered up and attach if this would help... Thankyou Hk

PS I should add there is no visible sign of capacitor failure...
      Last edited by hairykiore; 03-27-2013, 05:58 AM. Reason: adding PS

Comment

GA-H55M-S2H rev 1.0 or 1.1?
        GA-H55M-USB3 rev 1.0 or rev 2.0?

Is this a correct summary?
        GA-H55M-S2H + i3 cpu = doesn't boot (with 2 x 2GB of memory?)
        GA-H55M-S2H + i7 cpu = doesn't boot (with 2 x 2GB of memory?)
        GA-H55M-USB3 + i3 cpu = boots with 2 x 2GB of ram and able to update XP
        GA-H55M-USB3 + i7 cpu = doesn't boot
        GA-H55M-S2H + i3 cpu = boots with only one 2GB ram module

Were the same memory modules used in each test? What brand and model number is your memory?

I would repeat your tests using only one memory module in each motherboard.
        Set up each motherboard on a cardboard box outside of and beside your computer case.
        Disconnect all hardware that isn't needed to boot into the bios, such as hard drive, mouse, etc.
        You might need to test with another power supply.
        Your boot failures might be due to incorrect bios settings, especially with 2 x 2GB of memory.

I can't help you until you provide a complete detailed hardware list in your PC Specs.
        Note: There are currently very few forum members that assist with older systems.

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs portion of your
        forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
        profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
        Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

you can also try fully clearing the cmos by leaving out the motherboard battery for 30 minutes,then see if it works,test with only one ram stick installed in any white slot
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
            GA-H55M-S2H rev 1.0 or 1.1?.
            Hi...It seems I just do not get my message through..Am I explaining it wrong?? I went to all the trouble and expense of buying another M/B and another CPU cause without these ...there is in my small mind no way I could test
            1... Whether the motherboard was the problem
            and
            2 ..Whether the i7 CPU was defective ....

I established that both apparantly were faulty unless there is an issue between the i7 CPU and the Gigabyte GA H55M - S2H which I have read can happen..
            Anyway here are the answers you require.....
            GA-H55M-*S2H* rev 1.0 or 1.1?..............It is a rev 1.0
            GA-H55M-*USB3* rev 1.0 or rev 2.0?.... it is a rev 1.0 also

Is this a correct summary?
            GA-H55M-*S2H* + i3 cpu = doesn't boot (with 2 x 2GB of memory?)......... NO..I used one stick of Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G
            GA-H55M-*S2H* + i7 cpu = doesn't boot (with 2 x 2GB of memory?) NO..I used one stick of Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G
            GA-H55M-*USB3* + i3 cpu = boots with 2 x 2GB of ram and able to update XP ....Yes... using Patriot 2GB PC3-10600 CL9 Memory
            GA-H55M-*USB3* + i7 cpu = doesn't boot Yes Correct DOES NOT BOOT using 2 x 2gb sticks of Patriot 2GB PC3-10600 CL9 Memory

GA-H55M-*S2H* + i3 cpu = boots with only one 2GB ram module NO Does not boot with one stick of Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G

Were the same memory modules used in each test? What brand and model number is your memory? Answered above....

Now as far as a detailed list of my PC Specifications...Well I really do not have a PC as such unless a Motherboard ,CPU and PSU (which is an EnerMax Model 701AX-VE (W) 24P) constitutes a PC..(sorry forgot the Seagate 320Gb Hard drive) . I have a GE Force 9500 graphics card that I will put in once I get the M/B problem sorted out and perhaps a soundcard ..
            By the way the Intel i7 has this printed on it...
            Intel core i7
            2.8 OGHZ/8M/09B
            L9520257

I will get the i3 readout later when its daylight.

Of course if I can get this problem sorted I would have two PC's?? Along with the Acers I presently use...

Now I have been through Bench Tests etc prior to my purchasing the GA-H55M-USB3 and Intel i3 CPU.....again I point out the reason I bought these was to test the GA-H55M-S2H + i7...(if there is another way I would like to know)

It just seemed to me that a member might just recognise the jerking or pulsating of the fan with the power on and could suggest a possible cause that maybe can be fixed ....I mean it does at least seem as if its trying to go???

Thanks Hk.

Comment

Re: Gigabyte GA H55M - S2H M/B Problem SOLVED

This mobo can show a huge variety of problems and no matter what you try you can never really find a solution.

I was tearing my hair out and just about ready to bin my board.

My solution to my problems which were varied each time you tried to boot was something you would never expect and I only discovered it by accident by hunting for a solution---about 20 of the gold contact pads on the bottom of the CPU did not show any sign or marks like the rest of the contacts had from being contacted by the fine contact fiingers the CPU socket.

Using a fine pointed scalpel and high lens magnifier I carefully lifted up and slightly bent all of the corresponding socket fingers---just a fraction -----reinstalled the CPU and for the first time in weeks the mobo booted perfectly---ran like it should and was rock stable.

All the weird problems I was having were all gone.

I have never seen this on a mobo before but judging from all the error /problems on this thread it looks like GIGABYTE made these boards with poor contact fingers in the CPU socket.

Hope this helps everyone.

Comment

And the questions continue...

Saying you are using an i3 and i7 processor narrows it down to 100 processors or so, and yes the exact model matters.

But given the chipset on your board and the processor speed you gave (2.80GHz) I can translate that into the actual model. That would be an i7-860, which must be part of text printed on it.

If we check the CPU support list for the GA-H55M-USB3 or the GA-H55M-S2H, to verify the BIOS version needed for the i7-860, we find the initial BIOS should be fine for an i7-860 for both boards.

But we then learn that all of the i7 and some of the i5 processors useable in this board do not have graphics built into the CPU. The i7-860 has no video capability.

Fortunately, all of the i3 processors useable in these boards have graphics built into them. Of course at that time, all i7 processors did not have on-board graphics.

The Enermax PSU is a bit old, and is a dual rail 12V design with 18A/216W on each rail. One 12V rail should be enough to get the system running, but was the eight pin CPU power cable connected to the board?

Bent contacts in an Intel processor socket can happen to any board, usually from user damage but could have been shipped that way. Processor sockets are usually made by Foxcon or Lotes, and are parts purchased by board manufactures.

But the OP's i3-mystery processor works with these boards, so bad socket contacts as the problem has not been verified yet.

So declaring the i7 processor defective based on the symptoms is premature.

Comment

Working...
                X