P4V88 and SATA HDDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P4V88 and SATA HDDs

I have a PC system based around an AsRock PT880 P4V88 motherboard driven by an Intel Pentium 4 cpu running at 3.00 GHz. The motherboard BIOS version is P1.70
    There is 2GB of DDR DIMM unbuffered memory and an Nvidia AGP video card.
    The system uses an XP Professional with SP3 Microsoft operating system.
    There are two IDE HDDs - a 160GB master drive and a 500GB data drive.
    There are also two DVD/CD drives as slaves to the IDE HDDs.
    I do not have the CD that should have been supplied when I bought the PC some years ago, but I do have all the VIA drivers that are available from the AsRock website.
    I have purchased two Samsung HD204UI 2TB SATA HDDs and want to install these as part of my system. Appropriate cables were obtained and I fitted one drive and made the required connections, ran the VIA SATA Raid driver install program and expected that all would be well.
    This was not so and although the drive did spin up, it was not recognised by the Windows software as a viable drive. Looking in the Device Manager I could see an entry for SCSI and Raid Controllers and this was open with a sub heading VIA SATA RAID Controller which had a yellow exclamation mark against it.
    Opening the VIA SATA RAID Controller showed a Device Status box which had the following comment 'This device cannot start. (Code 10)' followed by an invitation to start the troubleshooter which I did. This invited me to delete the 'VIA SATA RAID Controller' entry and use the hardware detection system to find the SATA Drive, which I did and was rewarded with a detection of the hardware and a reinstallation of the driver which I had just deleted. After I had tried this a couple of times with variations including trying the other drive, I shut down the system and disconnected the drive before restarting. Upon examining the Device Manager I could see an entry for SCSI and Raid Controllers and opening this showed the VIA SATA RAID Controller fully working and apparently doing what it should be doing. Hot plugging the SATA drive which is supposed to be possible, froze the system except for a couple of seconds every couple of minutes whilst hot unplugging the drive restored operation as previously. I next fitted a jumper to halve the data rate as per the Samsung blurb but this had no observable effect. I have now spent two days messing about with this problem and have run out of ideas. It seems that the driver or BIOS has got problems but haw do I tell and where can I go from here. Any ideas or advice at all would be welcome. Since I don't intend to move my operating system onto either of the SATA
    drives I haven't tried the floppy boot disk method but do have the driver for this.

Re: P4V88 and SATA HDDs

Hello.
    You will want to use GPT software to partition those 2 large hard drives.
    The GPT is supported in the following versions of Windows:
    •Microsoft Windows XP x64 edition
    •Windows Server 2003 (64-bit)
    •Windows Server 2003 SP1 (all versions)
    •Windows Vista
    •Windows 7
    •Windows Server 2008
    To read more about GPT you can see the following article:
    GUID Partition Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Below is a url to download a program that may help you solve your problem. It is suppose to work on Windows XP 32bit
    PARAGON Software Group
    Please let us know how it works.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

The OP has two Samsung HD204UI 2TB hard drives, not HGST (Hitachi).
      Will XP SP3, support 2 x 1GB partitions on each hard drive?
      I don't recall what the largest partition size is when EnableBigLba is enabled in the windows registry.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

I fitted one drive and made the required connections, ran the VIA SATA Raid driver install program and expected that all would be well. This was not so and although the drive did spin up, it was not recognised by the Windows software as a viable drive.
        RAID is for multiple hard drives. You tried just one? I noticed the software has some limitations RAID is one of them. I may have misread your post. You do not want to use RAID if you are using Windows XP pro and those large hard drives. You will need to format them. I read the Paragon software I linked you to is suppose to work on other brands of hard drives. But if not you will need some type of software. I am not familiar with VIA RAID drivers. Your motherboard is a bit outdated. Below is a download link for EaseUS Partitioning Software. It's the home free edition. It's suppose to work on Windows XP pro. Get the paid version of EaseUS Partition Master at discount. Magic Partition Manager Freeware for PC/Server users. Upgrade EaseUS Partition Master Free
        You may want to set your bios back to the SATA non RIAD position and try this. Let us know how it worked.
        Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
        Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Thanks for the replies - I haven't tried all yet but I did realise that I need to both obtain and give further information.
          I do need to know if I have hit the drive size limit for XP in trying to add these drives.
          I haven't actually had both of the drives connected together which may affect the RAID part of the software. I can try that shortly.
          The Motherboard BIOS makes no mention of SATA drives except in the section on booting and then it is just a general switch to either have the SATA boot bios enabled or disabled - it is currently enabled and I will try things with it disabled as well so that I have covered all the angles.
          I don't know how to make the motherboard BIOS recognise the SATA drives and this is another possible area where I need more information.
          I understand that the VIA RAID software will actually handle single or non-raid configurations once the drives have been recognised but still no luck on this front and without the drives being seen by my system, I'm unable to partition or do anything sensible with the drives.
          Will look some more.

Comment

Your bios might not recognize your sata hard drives while you are in the bios, but booting with AHCI (or possibly RAID) enabled the bios might then "see" the drives. The EaseUS software should let you create a bootable optical disk where you should be able format each hard drive without booting to XP.

Before win7, my P35 win2k sp3 pro setup had no problem with any of my 640 or 750GB WD Caviar Black hard drives, where each drive had several partitions.
            Last edited by profJim; 04-04-2013, 09:21 AM.
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

I've taken note of the comments about a bootable optical disk and I may yet have to resort to that but since I'm not sure of the procedural details, I decided to try a couple of alternative ideas which came to mind while reading the replies.
              I have an external 1TB USB drive caddy & PSU which has a partitioned, formatted and partly filled SATA device internally. Dismantling this and exchanging the Western Digital drive for one of the Samsung 2TB drives, then reconnecting, resulted in a 2TB USB drive that I was able to partition and format using the EaseUS Partition Master. I then installed the 1TB SATA drive into the internal PC slot and connected it to the motherboard. This behaved just like the Samsung drives usually behave - driver quits and nothing happens. Just for completeness, I reinstalled the now partitioned and formatted Samsung drive into the PC in place of the Western Digital drive and managed to achieve the same result. One odd thing is that if I reinstall the Raid driver without the drive connected all goes well and the Device Manager reports a successful installation! This does suggest that the driver is at fault. If I delete the driver in the Device Manager, the PC detects the Drive and reinstalls the driver that doesn't work! Have I got a concept problem? If so, where do I get a driver that will work?
              I also exchanged the motherboard for a similar one which I intended to use to build a printer server, and fitted all the ancilliary hardware and started that up with identical results to those previously obtained. At the moment, I have both Samsung drives installed and everything else returned to its normal state with the drives non-functional. I need a brainwave or a brain!

Comment

I may have come across the answer to my main problem. In the AsRock PDF manual there is a section which defines the SATA interface - Quote
                South Bridge:
                VIA VT8237, supports USB 2.0, ATA 133, SATA 1.5Gb/s
                My drives are 3.0Gb/s and the mini-manual has a comment - Quote
                Note: In some rare cases SATA 1.5Gb/s hosts can not establish SATA interface connection with SATA 3.0 Gb/s devices due to interface protocol issues. In this case you should switch your drive to SATA 1.5Gb/s speed with a software which we are providing via www.samsunghdd.com.

Unfortunately, Samsung HDD has been subsumed by Seagate and the site doesn't appear to have this drive support. I suspect that it would require a firmware fix anyway and I don't think I have the means to achieve this.

Any ideas would still be welcome.
                Still searching and trying odd ideas.

Comment

To: aristotle13 Have you tried the jumpers? Firmware, you may need, but it's difficult to find.
                  Tech ARP - Samsung EcoGreen F4 (HD204UI) 2 TB Hard Disk Drive Review
                  Maybe this is the solution.
                  Last edited by artdrivers; 04-06-2013, 03:50 PM.
                  Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                  Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Thanks for the jumper info which I have now tried but it didn't seem to make any difference. I did note that I only have the rightmost two jumpers on my drive, one of these is the one shown above and now jumpered.
                    I'm going to try a reversion to an earlier bios that actually involved the SATA software. Wish me luck!

Comment

Flashing the BIOS seemed like a good idea. The current BIOS in this motherboard (my second) is 1.80. The instructions were slightly different for each version that I tried but after trying to flash two different versions, 1.20 and 1.70, I gave up. Comments that this was not for this board were received and there's not a lot can be done when the software refuses to co-operate but at least it didn't kill the PC.
                      I do still suspect that there is a BIOS problem because there is no mention of SATA in the BIOS pages and why won't the software let me flash it again? Something not quite right! Have to get the thinking cap on again or maybe I'll give up and try a different manufacturer motherboard but that can get expensive especially if there is no difference.

Comment

Working...
                      X