X58A-UD3R ver 2.0 "missing OS" with FH upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58A-UD3R ver 2.0 "missing OS" with FH upgrade

used @BIOS upgrade latest online, loaded ver. FH(2M) to X58A-UD3R ver.2.0 in place of FC (1M), booted to "missing OS" , Master SSD "FAILED NOT A RAID DRIVE" can't Qflash with FF ver. (1M) "wrong file size". I7-930 processor 3.2 Ghz, two 128G SSDs, 12G kingston 1800. Managed to boot to DOS with USB and tried FLASHSPI but it comes back with "Bad file" and I'm sure it is the checksum. The FH has support for RAID ROM and I don't know if that is why the SSD fails? The drives show up in Standard CMOS fine. I am sure it was setup for RAID0 before, but with this version I don't even see any reference to RAID0, just SATA3. Optimized settings sets most everything to IDE andSATA3 enabled. If I can't get these drives to load, what drive should I buy that I can load Windows, boot and use @BIOS to flas FF ver.?
    Last edited by aimsbmb; 04-27-2013, 01:46 PM.

Re: X58A-UD3R ver 2.0 "missing OS" with FH upgrade

Once you @Bios there is no going back to old-faithful...

in the Bios, if you can see your drives, then in Integrated Peripherals the SATA is not set to RAID. Default is IDE, once you change is from IDE to RAID, save and reboot and you should be fine.

thought I'd recommend that you "Load Optimized Defaults", then reboot, then go back in and set your drive controller to RAID then re-boot again...

Where do you have your Drives plugged in to? blue ports of White ports?

if it's the Blue Ports, then you want to set SATA to RAID, if you have them in the white ports, then you want to set SATA3 to RAID.

you can't have your drives in a RAID is the controller if set to IDE or AHCI.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win10-64Bit
    CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
    MB = Asus ROG C6H
    GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
    HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
    CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
    Mem = 24GB RAM
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
    HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
    Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by Vinster View Post

in the Bios, if you can see your drives, then in Integrated Peripherals the SATA is not set to RAID. Default is IDE, once you change is from IDE to RAID, save and reboot and you should be fine.

thought I'd recommend that you "Load Optimized Defaults", then reboot, then go back in and set your drive controller to RAID then re-boot again...

if it's the Blue Ports, then you want to set SATA to RAID, if you have them in the white ports, then you want to set SATA3 to RAID.

Vin
      I tried RAID and RAID XHD. Someone said if it booted to IDE it would lose the RAID array and have to be re-configured? I bought a new drive and reinstalled Win7, but I have kept the other drive hoptng I can get the data off it.

Comment

No, when you initialize a RAID it creates ID's on the partition of the disk and it will always remember what disk is what. Only time that is erased is if under the RAID options you Delete Member Disk or Release RAID Disk.

What I would do is plug in the drives, enable the RAID and then after it re-boots press CTRL-I to get in the raid config utility and see how it's reading the drives, any RAID disk should come up as a "Member Disk".

Now you didn't specify yet but I'm assuming you were using the SATA2 Intel Controller (Blue Ports).

Vin
        Main Rig
        OS = Win10-64Bit
        Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
        MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
        OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
        Mem = 24GB RAM
        GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
        PSU = Corsair TX750
        Case = Define R5

Comment

No, when you initialize a RAID it creates ID's on the partition of the disk and it will always remember what disk is what. Only time that is erased is if under the RAID options you Delete Member Disk or Release RAID Disk.

What I would do is plug in the drives, enable the RAID and then after it re-boots press CTRL-I to get in the raid config utility and see how it's reading the drives, any RAID disk should come up as a "Member Disk".

Now you didn't specify yet but I'm assuming you were using the SATA2 Intel Controller (Blue Ports).

Vin
          Yes they are Intel SATA 2 blue ports. The new one I am using now is SATA 3, but on the blue ports. I wonder though since I configured this drive RAID with the same 2nd drive as before, will the 2nd drive still work with the first? Or is the RAID array specific to the individual drives when configured? All three drives are 120g. Whenever I booted before with the 1st drive in RAID mode it showed 1st drive NonRAID, 2nd drive Member Disk. Think there is a way to maybe connect drive through USB 3.0 adapter and recover data with an app like Recuva?

Comment

Vin
            Oh yeah. I figured out how to initialize Dual Bios by killing power to PC while Qflash was installing bios. Booted back to factory version FB, but had same results. Also, after configuring new drive and loading Windows successfully, then trying second drive again, when new drive was re-installed it came up with "missing OS" and had to be reconfigured.

Comment

you recycled the 2nd drive? then you're pooched.. had all the original disks remain untouched, you would had been fine.

Vin
              Main Rig
              OS = Win10-64Bit
              Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
              MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
              Mem = 24GB RAM
              GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
              PSU = Corsair TX750
              Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
              X