super long program install times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• super long program install times

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me with this lil' problem with an otherwise near-flawless motherboard.

When I install a (any) program, the install wizard will come up, I can complete that. After clicking install though, it feels the need to take anywhere from 20min to 6 hours to start the actual install (with completion % bar).
    Once it does decide to start installing it zips through it like any modern gen SSD should, in seconds...

this is bugging me and id like to fix it.

I have updated to BIOS P2.0 and the rest of my stats list like so,

Z77 O/C Formula

3570K (delided) 4.8GHz 24/7 (5.2max) (custom w/c)

32Gb Mushkin Blackline 1866MHz@ 1.35v

2 Asus dcii GTX 670's in SLI (Full cover w/b)

Samsung pro 256Gb SSD (boot drive)

3 other 120 Gb SSD's

Creative Soundblaster-Z

SeaSonic Platinum 860

and a TON of Water cooling stuff....here is a pic.... (sorry 'bout the quality)

Re: super long program install times

So it does that delayed install thing with the installation programs on the Samsung SSD (an 840 Pro?) not on say an USB flash drive?

Did you have problems installing the OS? Did you install any SATA driver during the OS installation? What SATA port is the boot drive connected to? What SATA mode did you use for the OS installation? What drivers have you installed?

Your board has two SATA controllers, the Intel Z77 with two SATA 6Gb/s ports, and the Marvell 9172 with four SATA 6Gb/s ports. The Intel SATA interface works much better than the Marvell, and it's easy to connect the boot drive to the inferior SATA 6Gb/s ports (the Marvell ports do not actually operate at that speed.)

You should check your boards manual for the Intel SATA 6Gb/s ports, but they are most likely the two yellow ones right next to the black, SATA II ports.

That is really a strange problem, and hard to imagine why it is happening. Is your boot drive, or drive where the installation programs are located, very full with no free space? It also matters what you install first to some degree. The INF file installer should be first, then the Intel IME software, and then your SATA drivers. After that, no particular order is necessary.

I doubt this problem is the board itself.

Comment

Overclocking? And if you don't?

Disconnect the LAN?

No HDD?

If you unplug the SSD & try a HDD?
      If you only have one (instead of three) SSD installed?

Are you underclocking your RAM or is that what it is supposed to run at?
      Is that RAM & voltage supported with your MB?

If you use the on chip HD4000 instead of your 670's?

Antivirus or the like?

%TMP% redirected?

You say any program.
      Have you noted the installer used? MSI or NSIS or ?

Grounding issue?

Onboard audio instead of the Creative?
      Last edited by therube; 05-05-2013, 06:44 AM.

Comment

interesting thought on installing a program to usb....ill give that a shot.

it does do the same waiting game across all drives connected to sata 2,3,intel and marvel...

as to the whereabouts of boot-drive??? thats on the native intel controller...

***EDIT***

so i installed "catzilla" on a corsair survivor 32gb usb3 pen drive...

it took 7+ min..

not as long as other programs, but long none the less... it really seemed to stall out at the end of the UI bar and the text was stalled at "microsoft direct x redist........"
        Last edited by mBTX; 05-05-2013, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Well, I was not really suggesting using an USB flash drive to install programs, since some programs will not install correctly from a USB flash drive.

What is the source of the programs you are installing? Are you downloading them to the Samsung SSD OS drive, or a different one?

Again, how much free space is on the SSD? The first part of any software installation is the extraction/creation of the files needed for the installation. That involves writing to the drive, and that seems to be the part that takes so long. Once the files exist, it seems the installation works pretty normally.

Have you checked if all your memory is being seen by Windows? Have you installed all the standard drivers for your board?

Comment

Any change with this, How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista ?

Comment

@ parasec

i installed the prog TO or ON the thumb drive

and all of my drives were formated before being installed in current rig...

@rube trying the clean install now....still getting the hang-up....

here is a snip of where it ALLWAYS hangs....

Last edited by mBTX; 05-06-2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X