Prescott CPU emits a high pictched whine/chirp under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescott CPU emits a high pictched whine/chirp under load

Pulled out a 2.4 cpu for a faster 3.2 prescott. Am getting a very high pitched whine/chirp with this new chip installed. At rest, its just a repeated pattern chirp chirp, if i use the PC at all, it seems to whine I know a cpu can't MAKE noise, so whats going on?

Re: Prescott CPU emits a high pictched whine/chirp under load

That could be inductor/coil whine, or capacitor whine. Both are related to the amount of power used by the CPU. The inductor or capacitor are part of the power/voltage regulation circuitry for the CPU. There is very little that can be done to cure noise created by those parts, besides replacing them, which is difficult if not impossible.

Certain CPU power saving options, like C States are known to cause inductor noise, but your CPU does not support those options, according to the specs. If your board's BIOS has those power saving options, disabling them might stop the noise.

High frequency noise can be difficult to locate accurately, it is possible that the power supply is making the noise. You may have correctly located the sound source as in the area of the CPU, but I'm just mentioning that inductor noise is known to be caused by PC power supplies.

Also, a repeating, chirping sound might be a fan blade rubbing on something, or the fan's bearing is making noise. Inductor whine is usually continuous but varies in volume and frequency. If you can control the fan's speed with your board's software or BIOS, try setting the fan to full speed as a test.

Comment

Re: Prescott CPU emits a high pictched whine/chirp under load

Problem sort of solved. After swapping out every piece of hardware i could with no positive results, i discovered that manually lowering the (clock speed?) from 200mhz down to 190 eliminated the noise. anything above 190 brings it back. I can live with this. Thanks for everyone's advice and info.

Comment

Working...
      X