True DOS in WindowsXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True DOS in WindowsXP

How can I get to a true DOS prompt if I have Windows XP , I know its not included in XP but is there a way that I could get DOS on my boot menu which currently has XP and Linux on it ? I could probably find the install files for DOS but then how would I go about installing it :confused: Any help ?

Unless you had a DOS boot disk there is no way to get into dos. Ever since win2k came along they ceized the use of TRUE dos. Now its only an emulated dos known as the command prompt. or the 32 bit version.

Comment

Yes you have to use a DOS boot disk to get in or put a DOS os on as a dual boot, I just use a 98 startup disk myself (it's handy plus make sure that you can boot from the floppy drive). ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

For all sorts of bootdisks try http://www.bootdisk.com/
        My Machine

Comment

How can I make it dual boot with DOS

Comment

By installing a DOS OS on the same partition. I did this once before with win2k. I dual booted with Win2k/98. The only disadvantage is you need a dos partition. SO there fore fat32 is of course an option.

Comment

Would it mess up my boot table and not let me boot to XP anymore ? ( Similar to installing a previous version of windows after XP )

Comment

oh wait...........I forgot...........windowsxp uses the directory "windows" as its directory. Windows2k used winnt. errrrrrrrr. No but I did run into some problems now that I think about it. Things like if I emptied the recycling been in one OS it would get messed up i nthe other. Or if I uinstalled one program from one OS it would get mesed up in the other. Its a complete mess to dual boot on the same paritition. Point being you cannot dual boot XP and 9x beucase they changed the fodler to "windows"

Comment

Working...
                X