Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with new build and getting hdd recognized

Never mind, found answers to most of these. Sorry for being stupid

I just built a new system with these pieces.

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Combo or $224.99
    CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $22.98
    Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Combo or $0.00
    Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $64.99

Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" SSD $84.99
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $84.98

Video Card Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB $224.99
    Case Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower $109.99
    Power Supply Rosewill 650W ATX12V / EPS12V $110.57
    Keyboard Logitech Call of Duty: MW3 Edition $26.99
    Also purchased a new optical drive
    OS is OEM Windows 8 Home

The concept is to have the ssd as the boot disk and the hdd as a data drive. I purposely have not installed any other software or connected to the internet as I haven't downloaded any virus or firewall software since I want to put most programs on the hard drive. I've come across 3 problems.

All the drives show up under bios. The ssd is set for boot disk. I got windows 8 loaded fine on that disk. The problem is that the HDD is not showing up. Even in Disk Manager. The sdd and Hdd are plugged into the same power cable.

WD is in sata3_1, sata device type set to hard disk driver. the kingston sdd is sata3_0 and sata device type set to solid state driver.

The problem is that the wd drive is not showing up under disk management in order for me to format it. The sata3_1 should be the intel controller port not ASrocks control and wd support page says that their disks all use the intel controllers.

2nd problem: Under device manager I get 2 yellow warnings under other devices. 1 is listed as PCI simple communications controller and the other as unknow device. Under unknown device the location is listed as on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant system. error msg is drivers for this device are not installed code 28. to find a driver for this device click update driver.

For the pci simple communications property the location is pci bus 0, device 22, function 0 with error msg of drivers for this device are not installed code 28

3rd Problem: When I first got into windows 8 I used disk manager to bring up the drives and found my ssd had 2 system allocations labeled disk 0 with 350mb system reserved, and 111.45gb ntfs boot, page file, crash dump, primary partition, there was another bar which was the rest of my 120gb of ssd which was black. As I was initialzing this section I some how managed to create another disk, disk 1 as the E drive with 931GB on it. I really just want the ssd as one drive letter correct? How to redo this disk space to get it all under C.

Any ideas would be appreciated to help this newbie try and get his new system up and running
    Last edited by jreifste; 06-01-2013, 12:49 PM.

Re: Problem with new build and getting hdd recognized

For PCI simple communications controller you need to install the Intel Management Engine driver from here ASRock > Z77 Extreme4

For the unknown device you need to install Intel Smart Connect software

Comment

Re: Problem with new build and getting hdd recognized

Originally posted by Akis View Post
      For the unknown device you need to install Intel Smart Connect software
      Or disable it in the BIOS.

Comment

Working...
      X