Page File question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page File question

G'day all, have posted a few questions re inability to burn CD's - I think the pagefile size may be the culprit.

If i go to System Properties/Performance/Advanced it tells me the page file for all drives is set at 384 MB.

Click on "Change" and gives me the following info.
    Drive "C" has 2330 mb available.
    the "Custom" circle is checked.
    Initial size set at 384.
    Maximum size set at 768.

Below that is the following;
    minimum allowed 2 mb.
    recommended 574 mb.
    currently allocated 384 mb.

I have a 1 gb partition on my 2nd hard drive I used to use as a swapfile with 98SE which is currently unused.
    What and how should I set the pagefile too? Thanks gents

I'm no expert here by any means, but I think it would be good if your swap file was big enough to handle all the data on a CD, if that's the manner in which your going to use it??
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

mines at like 128 but i have page off..512mbs of ram...

Comment

doubt thats the main culprit, page file errors are way worse

and a page files doesn't need to be as big as a CD, its just temporary memory storage so in actual fact, its like an extension of your RAM if u must, so in theory, if u have heaps of ram, get less page files so that the faster RAM can be focused on rather than the comparitively cluggy HD

Comment

maybe its a bad sector on your hd...

Comment

you'll know when u have a pagefile problem

how are u burning your disks - are u using disk at once? how is your burner plugged in ie is it on the same cable as your HD?
            http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I have somehow, in my ignorance, ended up with 2 topics on the hop, which basically cover / stem from / or lead to the same problems and circumstances
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have left nero at default after installation. I attempted anotha burn a while ago and pasted parts of the "error" message in the other thread Nero & XP assistance required
              I must add that after installing nero i burnt some 15 CD's over a 3 week period b4 this problem arose'

Cheers.

Comment

My question would be what did you change and/or install that change that? :?:
                <center> </center>

Comment

I've had nero do that before, I just had to switch programs until a new version came out. No idea why.

Did you install EZ CD creator after installing Nero :?:

I've heard of people having problems when they did that.

Comment

Well Wiggo, I really can't remember, I didn't really start changing things till the prob came up.
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Wuntvor, I've only ever used nero, thing else mate
                    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I checked my Via 4 in 1's in Device mananger and guess what, even after running the installation exe still had XP drivers installed. So went to Via and had a read and then forced the install of Via drivers for the Via BusMaster PCI IDE Controller.
                    I then went to services.msc and disabled a heap of processes. Checked and went from 41 running processes down to 20, and in performance TAB saw ram usuage drop from 144 to 73mb.

Re-booted and burnt an audio CD (Track at once as I had to normalise them) and it worked --- Wahoooo --- So tried to burn CD no 2, and 3 , and 4 but back to where i started

Just get booted after 10 or 15 %.
                    So off to

Comment

Working...
                    X