Who would go Gigabyte again ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would go Gigabyte again ?

Actually the question should be "who would go Gigabyte version 1 " again ?

My last 6 builds have all being with Gigabyte and currently have Z77 & X58 mobos. Both have had funny behaviour BUT are working pretty good now. Before the Z77 I had a Z67 which I sold after a short while at a big loss and for some strange reason I then went again to the Gigabyte motherboard ie Z77

Is it better the cow you know then the one you dont ? Is it not the fault of Gigabtye but something to do with the CPU or the implementation of USB2/USB3 ? Do Gigabyte use the Version 1 as its beta with customers as guinea pigs ?

Sometimes it can be the smallest thing that turns you off a manufacturer like the Asus download sites ... I hate RAR :-)
    Asus Strix X99 Intel 6800K Corsair Dominator 4x8gm 2666 DDR4b Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti Corsair HX1000iPSU Corsair 780T Corsair H115i CPU Cooler Samsung 950 M.2

Re: Who would go Gigabyte again ?

After what they showed with Z77 BIOSes, I am sure as hell I will go with different brand next time.

Comment

Well my z87x-ud5h is my 1st GB board and so far i'm pretty impressed. It's stable, the BIOS seems just fine to me, and overall i'm pretty pleased with it.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H BIOS v F6L
      16GB GeIL Dragon RAM PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel (2x8GB)
      Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.7ghz
      2 x EVGA 770GTX SC SLI
      2 x Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (RAID0)
      2 x Hitachi 2TB HDD - (RAID1)
      XFX Pro Series 850w PSU
      Corsair Obsidian 900D
      Cooled with a custom 360 rad and EK Supremacy CSQ Clean block with 6 x Corsair SP120 Quiet fans.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Not a chance.
        Their RMA service seems quite good, but their firmware/BIOS support is abysmal.

Too many customers left without fully functioning boards, many of which aren't even that old (Z77, X79).
        This all = I won't be buying Gigabyte for some years - and I'll recommend the same.

Comment

I have been using GB boards for Years, even getting used boards I always made sure they were GB (with 2 exceptions in 8 years). but with the new release since Ivy Bridge there has been too many unexplained problems that no other manufacturer seems to have. Like the USB debacle in Ivy, looking at Forum posts yes Asus/EVGA/Asrock have had issues too... but extent that GB has.

also the Shadowing BIOS issue that GB has that seems to still be lurking with the new Z87 boards...

for all these reasons I'm going to Asus or Asrock for my next build.

if I were to go to GB again on a new build it's because of this forum and the great members here.. Without this place to turn to I'd leave GB in my rear view mirror.

for builds that I don't own, I'm going to be getting Asus boards or buy a pre-boxed system

Vin
          Main Rig
          OS = Win10-64Bit
          CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
          Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
          MB = Asus ROG C6H
          GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
          HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
          PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
          Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
          OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
          CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
          Mem = 24GB RAM
          MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
          GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
          HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
          Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
          PSU = Corsair TX750
          Case = Define R5

Comment

Unfortunately I have to say that I will probably pick another vendor as well next time. And I used Gigabyte MOBOs for a decade now.
            While I can accept some "early adopters syndrome" from a new MOBOs but as owner of GA-X79-UD5 I'm totatlly dissapointed. There are some major issues unresolved with this card (especially with IRSTe or the most resent one with GTX 780 \Titans) and there were no BIOS updates for a quiet some time to address those issues. Planning to switch it this fall and it definetely won't be another GA-.. one.

Comment

I would say GB are probably a year behind everyone else with the reliability & stability of their UEFI bios. This is the fall out from moving to UEFI 1-2 generations too late (AWARD must have given them a sweet deal on legacy BIOS licences). Also GB seem to have less resources when it come to bios engineers.

Comment

i will go asus next time

way too many issues with z77x ud3h, crap via usb, crap lan, bios bugs, etc

and off course almost like 1 year without bios update, that is awesome gigabyte

also, slowest boot on earth, z77x takes a life to start booting windows, and beta bios lol, they are a joke

Comment

Those who leave will probably have their places taken by people saying...

"Who would go Asus again ?" or "Who would go Asrock again ?" etc

just my opinion

Comment

Those who leave will probably have their places taken by people saying...

"Who would go Asus again ?" or "Who would go Asrock again ?" etc

just my opinion
                    Absolutely wrong opinion.

I have been a loyal Gigabyte customer for over 13 years now, I installed hundreds of Gigabyte motherboards for friends of mine and small businesses. I was buying Asus boards before but when they started having BIOS bugs issues and hardware issues I stopped buying those.
                    Nowadays the situation is reversed. Gigabyte clearly went downhill pretty fast and now has atrocious support and BIOS releases, even if the hardware is good due to bugs that they don't bother fixing and Intel updates they don't bother providing to their customers... their products are just not worth buying anymore.
                    ASUS product support has improved a lot instead, they are releasing updated BIOSes for their motherboards adding all Intel updates continously, the X79 boards have been updated even once or twice a month in the first half of 2013 to address bugs and improve stability.
                    Gigabyte doesn't care anymore.
                    I am currently stuck with a X79-UP4 Gigabyte motherboard affected by a critical random freezing bug and Gigabyte support doesn't care, they negate the issue and they refused even providing a new Beta BIOS with all Intel latest updates (ME Firmware, CPU Microcode Update, Intel iRST ROM, GbE ROM).

Comment

I am undecided. While at first had some generell stability problems with z77x-ud5h, now with F16C and BIOS Mods my PC runs just fine and stable. Though I guess a lot of stability improvements come from this community here - a big Cheers!! to them all!

Comment

Originally posted by sixor View Post
                        i will go asus next time

way too many issues with z77x ud3h, crap via usb, crap lan, bios bugs, etc

and off course almost like 1 year without bios update, that is awesome gigabyte
                        These are my thoughts as well, more or less.
                        Asus has HORRIBLE web, sometimes/often horrible support, but it still beats Gigabyte not giving a damn about not even one year old boards anymore. Awesome hardware with super stable power delivery means nothing when the BIOS is sh...

You seem to have the same board as me. I do have some USB problems with it (I can't make Windows 7 setup to work unless I change some weird xHCI /or something/ settings I don't even understand at all). The LAN chip just works, not sure what more should I expect from it.
                        I also have rev 1.1 of the board, which might, or might not have solved some of my stability problems.
                        For me it's 90% about the BIOS ignorance. I am still on F18, because nothing newer works right (which is a huge shame, given the changes in later betas).

I have been using Gigabyte boards exclusively since 2002 or something. I guess I personally bought and installed probably 20 of them, for both myself and my family and friends. Apparently, it's time to jump the ship this time. /not impressed, Gigabyte!

Comment

Wouldn't touch the ****ING Garbage, EVER !!
                          F.U.C.K. Gigabyte.
                          The sheer hassle I have had with my ****e Z77 D3H board has made me use my desktop less and less, now using my laptop more and more.
                          Daily issues of boot loops, BIOS failures causing the board to boot to the backup BIOS, USB failures - no ports working forcing me to switch off at the mains until they work, bizarre voltages in windows that simply bear no relation to the BIOS settings - -/+ voltage offset for example.

I'm skint at the moment, but I am looking at a Asus Z87 board which is currently going for the same price I paid for this D3H ****e.

Comment

Im dumping my OC as soon as the maximus formula comes out. I generally like to have my products supported for over 6 months.

Comment

I'm tempted to jump ship to Asus too, it's a little disconcerting seeing the experience people with last gen boards are having, doesn't bode well for the future longevity of my board. I am also concerned that we've seen so many Beta BIOS but no sign of a stable release, that makes me think that GB just can't get it right.

My board has been relatively stable, but had a few experiences where I've had to reinstall Windows, had shutdown issues with drives connected to the Marvel controller, and on the latest Beta had all the fan headers just shut off until rebooted (and then unable to get back into the BIOS without a CMOS wipe).

Shame as I had really high hopes for this board, but I think i'm just going to sell whilst resale value is reasonable and go with a Maximus.
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H BIOS v F6L
                              16GB GeIL Dragon RAM PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel (2x8GB)
                              Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.7ghz
                              2 x EVGA 770GTX SC SLI
                              2 x Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (RAID0)
                              2 x Hitachi 2TB HDD - (RAID1)
                              XFX Pro Series 850w PSU
                              Corsair Obsidian 900D
                              Cooled with a custom 360 rad and EK Supremacy CSQ Clean block with 6 x Corsair SP120 Quiet fans.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X