Missing operating system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing operating system

I was in the process of restoring my computer and the power went out and when i turn my computer on now it loads and gives me the error message Missing operating System,now i have had this problem before and simply pressed f9 and loaded windows again, but it will not allow me to go to f9 this time the only option i have is f2 .I have a asus laptop model K53T.Any suggestions please as i need the comp for work and ty.

Re: Missing operating system

seems you've done this before.

When did you buy your Asus? On the Asus website, it looks like there's a 2-year warranty, which could help you.

it sounds like your laptop has repair/re-install data in a separate partition on the HDD ... if it does, there are some steps you could take to access the HDD Recovery partition, even though you may not be able to do that directly from your keyboard. if you have access to another computer, for example, you could access your Recovery partition that way ... tie in with an ethernet cable and (i think) your Asus HDD will show up in the second computer under Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management. (these are in Admin Tools). once you're tied in and have the Disk and Partition info, one way to go might be to go to Command Prompt, go to the Drive/Partition, and run your Recovery.exe (whatever it is) from there.

this may not be the best way in, though. it already seems clumsy to me. someone else may be able to lead you through this with better directions/ advice.

what was the problem that started you on the Restore process ?
    best regards,
    Michael

AMD Phenom x2 560, 4 cores unlocked (running as B60)
    Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
    HIS Radeon 7750
    8 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
    WD 1TB, 800 GB Backup

Comment

No it only had a 1 year warranty .My computer started showing signs of viruses so I wanted to restore it back to a earlier time.I found the exact windows 7 cd so I am just going reinstall it again,i hope this works.

Comment

1 year warranty - odd, since Asus says that laptop has a 2 year warranty through them ...
        but no matter, if your Win 7 disk does the job. which it ought to ...

i am curious, though - what "signs of viruses" did you see? what AV program do you use? lots of highly rated free ones out there these days ... it's actually pretty rare that a virus that's troublesome gets onto a PC these days. which is why i ask about what signs you saw, if you have the time to share that.

do you plan on accessing the recovery partition to re-install any programs that came with the laptop once you have the OS back ?

good luck
        best regards,
        Michael

AMD Phenom x2 560, 4 cores unlocked (running as B60)
        Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
        HIS Radeon 7750
        8 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
        WD 1TB, 800 GB Backup

Comment

On my Sony VAIO Windows 7 laptop, I also got "Missing operating system" messages with black screen. Tried many ways, finally, it was Windows Boot Genius from Windows Boot Genius - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com fixed problem with data safely. It saved my life!

Comment

While this thread's last post other that Gelser's was posted on almost 5mos ago:

System Repair Disc - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums

Most overlook that it doesn't take a $55.00USD piece of software, the one Gelser links, to do the same thing. Less than 5mins is all, and it's free.

System Repair Disc - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Working...
            X