Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UEFI GOP support but "Ultra Fast Boot" does not work

Hello!

I have an Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP mainboard and want to use "Ultra Fast Boot".
    Gigabyte support gave me an UEFI BIOS update revision F21 for my VGA Card GV-R787OC-2GD F20. I flashed this UEFI BIOS which should support UEFI GOP. Then I enabled "Ultra Fast Boot" (I have Windows 8 x64 installed on a GPT partition), but then I get the following error:

"The VBIOS of your discrete VGA card does not support UEFI GOP, so it can not support "Ultra Fast Boot" and "CSM Disable"."

But according to Gigabyte support, the new BIOS for this card HAS UEFI support, so it should work.

Could this be a problem which has to be fixed by Asrock? I have the latest UEFI for my H77 Pro4/MVP installed (Version 1.50) which has "Improve discrete VGA card vBIOS compatibility" in its changelog, but my VGA card doesn't seem to be supported.

So do you (Asrock) have to add every card which supports UEFI GOP to the mainboards UEFI BIOS?

Any ideas what I can do to make "Ultra Fast Boot" working?

Re: UEFI GOP support but "Ultra Fast Boot" does not work

First, you need to test your UEFI booting Windows 8 installation, by using the CPU's onboard graphics. That should work for you, since the onboard graphics supports GOP and UEFI booting. I've done this with ASRock Z77 boards, but I've never used your board.

So as you likely know, connect your monitor to the H77's video outputs, select Onboard video in the UEFI, CSM disabled, but have Fast boot disabled at first, just to see if it works that way. If it works like that, then try Ultra Fast.

I've seen the error message you mentioned when I tried an EVGA 650 before I changed the Vbios to GOP support. After the Vbios update, the 650 worked fine UEFI booting with Ultra Fast, first time I tried it, and has worked fine since then.

If Ultra Fast works with the onboard graphics, but does not work with the Gigabyte card, then IMO the card's Vbios may not be working right. Does Gigabyte have a forum about their video cards that might have a thread about this topic you can check?

My point is the EVGA forum has a thread about the Vbios update (that is only available for certain cards, some cards cannot be updated for GOP), and users verified that the Vbios update worked. I think it is important to verify that the Vbios update does support GOP before deciding the issue may be an ASRock issue.

Comment

Re: UEFI GOP support but "Ultra Fast Boot" does not work

Where did you get that update from, I see F3? A couple of times while going through the "ultra fast boot" period, with both W7 and W8, I did once or twice get that message when running the IGD with no discrete attached. Have you tried setting the discrete as your primary device, a cold boot (power removed before rebooting) or maybe even try a cmos reset as a last resort.

Comment

Working...
      X