Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should i use HotPlug on my 970 Extreme4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should i use HotPlug on my 970 Extreme4?

Hey All

Ive recently gone from a gigabyte board to an asrock 970 extreme4

on the gigabyte i was able to use esata hotplug simply by clicking the safely remove feature in the system tray the same as a USB drive would

With this asock board no such icon appears so and i cant figure out how to safely remove one HDD and plug in another...
    Any drive i plug in while im in windows seems to powerup but never shows up in windows unless its already plugged in when i boot up
    I have about 4 drives i like to swap between at any given time so shutting down to swap drives is dam annoying!!!
    I have set the AHCI setting in the BIOS and then a refresh install on windows 7
    What am i missing?

i just saw this thread http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/4...g-problem.html
    obviously i have a different board but it sounds like the same problem....
    Though i have already updated to the latest bios i found on the website...
    Last edited by Jin-Roh; 08-04-2013, 03:49 AM.

Re: How should i use HotPlug on my 970 Extreme4?

Nobody has any ideas? 209 views and no reply

Comment

I installed a program called HotSwap! on my 970 Extreme3 that places a red icon on the taskbar, similar to the green Safely Remove Hardware one that Windows uses. For a few months I used the red icon to unmount a drive but one day I noticed that the green Windows icon also worked.
      I use a SATA docking Station for backups so it's important for me to be able to mount and unmount hds.

Bill
      My HTPC -

ASRock 970 Extreme3
      AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
      M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
      Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
      Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
      Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
      Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
      Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (partitioned)
      Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
      Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

Comment

yeah my previous board a gigabyte i could just click the remove safely icon just like you would with a usb drive but with this asrock board that icon never appears :(
        This mean i have to shutdown to swap drives!
        I will try that program you mentioned! I hope it works for me too....thanks for your reply

Comment

so i tried the Hotswap! program....sure i can remove the drive but then i plug in another drive and it spins up but never shows up in windows....

is this a windows thing ? cause i can plug in usb drives and they show up but through esata it doesnt, and it used to be great with the gigabyte board so it must have something to do with the control asrock uses for the esata on this board....

Is the any update that can be done to fix this?

ive already updated to the latest bios.....

Comment

just got a tip from a toms hardware thread which works
            i use device manager and right click on the disk drives a select scan for hardware changes and bingo the drive appears!
            not ideal but beats rebooting the system

Comment

Working...
            X