Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-X79-U4 BIOS F3x Problem (Intel smart response Technology)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X79-U4 BIOS F3x Problem (Intel smart response Technology)

In my current Bios version F3t, I have setup my drives as follow:
    - 2 SSD OCZ Raid(0) Intel Rapid Storage (Main with OS)
    - 3 HDDs WD Raid(5) with 64GB SSD (intel smart response Technology)
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I Flashed my GA-X79-UP4 from F3t to F3xwith @Bios. So far so good.

First Time:
    After reboot the Bios identifies my individual drives (under tab Peripherals):

So I changed the following settings in the (F3x)Bios:
    First optimized settings then
    - Intel Sata controller mode = Raid
    - Intel Rapid Storage technology = iRST
    - Intel I/OAT = enabled.
    - Full Screen LOGO Show = Disabled (to see the raid configuration at startup).<o:p></o:p>

And Reboot

After reboot I expected the raid drives to be visible.
    And in tab 'BIOS Features' I expected the Raid configured drives to be visible.
    but they were not.
    And when booting, the system tells me there are no boot drives installed???<o:p></o:p>

“Reboot and Select proper Boot device…”

So, after this firs attempt I went back to F3t.
    I didn’t want to mess-up my storage configuration.
    I changed the above settings, and my F3t Bios works like a charm.

After this I updated the Bios to F3u. No problems there. Worksthe same like F3t.
    Last edited by NLW; 08-25-2013, 07:34 AM.

3x Again these drives are working together as (intel Smart Response technology).

After Reboot I saw the Intel Rapid Storage Technology splash-screen.
    But only the boot drives were OK. I even get into Windows.

But now (After the VT-d adventure) the extra feature .

So I went back to F3u, and everything is ok again..

I Compared the versions of the iRST splash-screens, but they were the same. (11.6.0.1702)
    So expect that he problem is somewhere else.

In the iRST screen under tab Pheripherals, the WD drives have the status of incompatible.
    But if I select them, I can reset them to non-Raid. So they were indeed identified as riad drives??
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: GA-X79-U4 BIOS F3x Problem (Intel smart response Technology)

The Intel Rapid Storage Technology splash-screen. after downgrade to BIOS F3u.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

I believe the problem you are having could possibly be a result of the new BIOS F3X having an incompatible module added to it.

I took the BIOS from F3U and modified it again by adding Intel RSTe EFI SataDriver 3.7.0.1049, then removing Intel UEFI SataDriver 12.7.0.1936, which, according to this page: Intel EFI "SataDriver"/"GopDriver" BIOS Modules is for For Intel 6-8 Series chipsets except X79.

If this succeeds to resolve your problem I could try to modify F3X again for you in the same way.

X79UP4_mod-rharrison.zip (3.6 MB)
        MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 50GB now!

Comment

Originally posted by rharrison View Post
          Hi,

I believe the problem you are having could possibly be a result of the new BIOS F3X having an incompatible module added to it.

I took the BIOS from F3U and modified it again by adding Intel RSTe EFI SataDriver 3.7.0.1049, then removing Intel UEFI SataDriver 12.7.0.1936, which, according to this page: Intel EFI "SataDriver"/"GopDriver" BIOS Modules is for For Intel 6-8 Series chipsets except X79.

If this succeeds to resolve your problem I could try to modify F3X again for you in the same way.

X79UP4_mod-rharrison.zip (3.6 MB)
          https://mega.co.nz/#!OMJzVBqZ!H3YLjV...qN7dEWwmGLikoY
          Hi rharrison,
          Thanks for your time.
          Your mod is still with the Intel UEFI SataDriver 12.7.0.1936 and it Works on my machine....

But..
          Yesterday 'stasio' placed a new Updated Bios F4b.
          I will try that one now. and will report later..
          Again Thanks!
          Last edited by NLW; 08-31-2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Did Try to update My GA-X79-UP4 to F4b..
            Hopefully this one its more compatible with my Intel Smart Response Technology setup, like F3u and prior.

But there is no way I can install this version.
            • Q-Flas in Bios F3u (and also in F3x) is outdated;
            • @Bios 2.28-B12.0723.1 is outdated (Run as Administrator, I get the error right after selecting the file)
            • And Efiflash (version V0.36 date 08-07-2012) is outdated??

Comment

Originally posted by NLW View Post
              Did Try to update My GA-X79-UP4 to F4b..
              Hopefully this one its more compatible with my Intel Smart Response Technology setup, like F3u and prior.

But there is no way I can install this version.
              • Q-Flas in Bios F3u (and also in F3x) is outdated;
              • @Bios 2.28-B12.0723.1 is outdated (Run as Administrator, I get the error right after selecting the file)
              • And Efiflash (version V0.36 date 08-07-2012) is outdated??

So at the moment, I’m out of options…
              NLW,

I checked the modded bios I uploaded previously, if you open in Aptio MMTool, scroll down to SataDriver and extract the module (without OROM options enabled) - then following the same procedure on F3X by stasio, you will see they are different (because of the filesize).

It may appear different because I used the module from Fernando's Win-RAID Forum. So you may still wish to consider trying it out with F3X, let me know if you do.

MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 50GB now!
              Last edited by rharrison; 09-01-2013, 03:12 PM. Reason: Added link to Module added.

Comment

Re: GA-X79-UP4 BIOS F3x Problem (Intel smart response Technology)

Originally posted by rharrison View Post
                NLW,

I checked the modded bios I uploaded previously, if you open in Aptio MMTool, scroll down to SataDriver and extract the module (without OROM options enabled) - then following the same procedure on F3X by stasio, you will see they are different (because of the filesize).

It may appear different because I used the module from Fernando's Win-RAID Forum. So you may still wish to consider trying it out with F3X, let me know if you do.

https://mega.co.nz/#!9UMG2J5L!Tayl8h...hFp4Ubgn5rSd3w
                Hi rharrison,
                Yes and no.

At the moment I want to inform Gigabyte, that there new Beta Bios(F3x) is not working correctly.
                I Can’t install the Bios F4b. So I do’t know if the problemis corrected.

If you can update the F3x Bios with the correct iRST ROM,Than it should working correctly, i Think ;)
                The driver you sent me, is that a ROM update or Driver?
                (My Raid Driver version is 12.8.0.1016. and Rom Version is 11.6.0.1702..)

And I’m using the iRST intel Raid driver not the RSTe driver.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks
                Last edited by NLW; 09-01-2013, 03:43 PM.

Comment

The problems went from bad to worse.

Finely installed Bios F4. From the Gigabyte website.
                  Installed F4 with Efiflash. I saw that it installs on main and the Backup Bios???
                  The incompatibility with the Intel smart Response Technology remains.

But now there is no way back to Bios version F3u..
                  The bios image is outdated. They are kidding me!!..

Comment

FTK v0.9.6.1 Grab that, make a bootable USB with HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8 using these files Win98SE_bootdisk.iso extracted to a folder like a zip file, put the FTK files and F3u BIOS on it, boot from it, go to the directory with the FTK files and BIOS, and type fpt -bios -f biosname.f3u. Shut down when complete and you'll have F3u again.
                    Last edited by MacG32; 10-07-2013, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG32 View Post
                      FTK_0.9.6.1_DOS.zip Grab that, make a bootable USB with HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8 using these files Win98SE_bootdisk.iso extracted to a folder like a zip file, put the FTK files and F3u BIOS on it, boot from it, go to the directory with the FTK files and BIOS, and type fpt -bios -f biosname.f3u. Shut down when complete and you'll have F3u again.
                      You are great!!!!!!! Thanks macG32...

Works perfect. back on F3u again..

Comment

Re: GA-X79-UP4 BIOS F3x Problem (Intel smart response Technology)

Thanks to MacG32, I can switch between the Bios versions..

Back in the F3u BIOS version I removed the accelerationIntel Smart Response TechnologyF4 again.

With the ISRT removed, all my drives were recognized.
                        Tried to restore the iSRT, but the Accelerate functions are grayed out now.
                        So no SSD caching for my hard drives anymore, pity. It worked pretty good.
                        Now I hear the hard drives working again..

I noticed that Gigabyte also removed the iSRT , they went back to iRSTe Intel Rapid Storage Technology with Smart Response supportGA-X79-UD5 I sincerely hope, that the next Bios update beta or not will have the iSRT back.

Comment

RSTe supports trim.

Comment

Hi MacG32.
                            I’m not going to argue with you.. But is something changed, lately?

see Intel RST vs RSTe in X79 Motherboard. Differences? [Solved] - NAS / RAID - Storage
                            and https://communities.intel.com/message/189799

Comment

X79 boards are seen as having server chipsets. Whatever support IRST gave X79, that isn't available anymore, from what I understand. RSTe has performed Trim in RAID 0 for quite a very long time now. RSTe v11 & v12 drivers are not for X79, so they won't work. The current X79 RSTe drivers are v3.7.3.1002. I've almost always had Trim in RAID 0 and have been using RSTe v3.* drivers the entire time. It seems a lot of people are confused about IRST, RSTe, RAID, and what does what for what chipset. Both of those articles have people that are confused.

The F4 BIOS is known to have issues and is not advised to use. The latest, most stable, and fully functioning BIOS is F4u.

Comment

Working...
                              X