undo bootvis Changes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• undo bootvis Changes??

Is it possible? I need to get into pure DOS so I can flash my BIOS. It seems with the speeding up of my bootup my comp no longer looks for a disk in the a: drive. Also, WinXP can't format any disks I put in the a: drive, I get this error when I try to format for ms-dos: "An unexpected I/O error has occured". If I try a normal format it simply says it can't complete the formatting.

Bootvis simply scans the hard drive boot sections for flaws and all the programs that load up. And once it does it performs a quick defragmentation of just the boot files so that windows bootup is quicker. It should affect antyhing related to the bios. Are you sure your bios is checking for a floppy in the drive?

Comment

Yep, I have it set as the first drive to check :confused:

Comment

hmm...........that's strange.......anything else you did in the bios that would affect this to not work? Such as there is an option on the main screen under the floppy area like 3.5 or 5.25 did you select that as disabled? Are you able to access a floppy and write to it and stuff when your in windows?

Comment

Heh, nothing like going in and out of the bios, without really doing anything but saving on exit, and suddenly things work the way you want them to...

Well now I'm gonna go flash my bios barring any other funking problems, lets hope I don't create any anyway, hehe

Comment

ya good luck.......I'm afraid to flash my bios. Even though I probably should.

Anyway probably the best way to under bootvis changes is to defrag your drive. As this will "undefrag" the files that bootvis defragged.

Comment

TADA!:D
              All done, the scary part for me is clearing the CMOS after flashing the bios...now hopefully I can get the damn 4in1 to work right for once!

Comment

As you've found out, Bootvis has nothing to do with whether the floppy works or not. It simply analyses the order and speed with which different drivers etc. load up and lays them out for fastest load up on your drive.

As for the 4-in-1s, check our Via Driver Guide.
                My Machine

Comment

Thanx for the 4in1 guide!!! I was about to look up that info. One prob though, I've installed the latest 4in1 but it didn't update the VIA Bus Master IDE controller or the CPU to PCI Bridge. I tried doing the update driver from device manager, but I can't figure out where the files were unzipped to because the latest 4in1 are in a Packagefortheweb Stub file that extracts the files and automatically goes into the install.

Comment

right click it and click extract to blowblayblah\

Comment

Check the other thread in the Via Forum...the one about 4-in-1 install problem for more info. Basically you can use winzip to easily extract the all drivers out of the .exe package.
                      My Machine

Comment

Working...
                      X