Non-z OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-z OC

Does this still work? I just received my board today. I can get it to overclock in BIOS but the clock in windows resets. I am using a 4670k on a fatal1ty performance board. It said on new egg it was overclockable and not until looking it up I now find that intel was to stop it. I would not have bought this board if I knew that. I thought as long as you had an unlocked cpu you could overclock (coming over from AMD).

The reason I am asking is cause I am running it on win 7 with no updates yet, and all the drivers I installed for the board are dated before the fix, same with my BIOS date. So shouldn't work, or am I missing some thing.

Thank you, and feel free to slap me for not getting the right board.

Re: Non-z OC

Originally posted by Saragrl View Post
    Does this still work? I just received my board today. I can get it to overclock in BIOS but the clock in windows resets. I am using a 4670k on a fatal1ty performance board. It said on new egg it was overclockable and not until looking it up I now find that intel was to stop it. I would not have bought this board if I knew that. I thought as long as you had an unlocked cpu you could overclock (coming over from AMD).

The reason I am asking is cause I am running it on win 7 with no updates yet, and all the drivers I installed for the board are dated before the fix, same with my BIOS date. So shouldn't work, or am I missing some thing.

Thank you, and feel free to slap me for not getting the right board.
    Your CPU clock resets, what are you using to monitor the clock? Does it change to stock clock speed, or what?

What BIOS version is on the board now? The BIOS chip on the board should have a label with the factory BIOS version on it.

Can you use the F-Stream utility to OC in Windows? There is a beta version of F-Stream in the Beta download section, dated 7/30, which should be before the removal of Non-Z OC.

I wonder about only one BIOS version being available, as if earlier versions were removed. The current 1.50 does list Non-Z OC. I would download 1.50 now and just save it for possible use in the future. Any BIOS that has a "CPU code" or "microcode" update is NOT what you want.

It may be possible to find earlier versions of your board's BIOS, if that would help.

Comment

First, thank you for responding.

Okay, my Bios is 1.50 15b on the chip. I took your advice and downloaded an old version of F-Stream 1.0.31. I messed around with that and was able to take my multiplier to 38x which is the max turbo speed of the cpu. I use CPUID and Realtemp 3.7 for the readings.

After that it would go no further. I then did something I never would have done in the past as I am afraid to touch voltages. I switched it to override mode under CPU voltage mode. I did not change the setting though and now I can go higher than 38x. My target was 42-43, but when I hit apply on 42 instant BSOD. I may mess around with it more later, but right now I am happy it's running 4.0ghz.

Thank you for your help, and if the BSOD is because of a setting I missed, I would appreciate the insight.

Comment

Interesting, I wonder if the BIOS was changed to lock out multiplier changes unless the CPU voltage mode is changed as you did. I suggest trying that in the BIOS, change the voltage mode and see if the multiplier can be changed.

Are you sure that the BIOS does not have an OC enable option? I've never used your board so that may be required.

I would not worry to much about CPU voltage, until you get over 1.3V. Even then, as long as you use CPU power saving options like SpeedStep, the CPU won't get that much voltage all the time. You will need to use Adaptive CPU voltage for that to work with Haswell CPUs like yours.

Comment

I have been able to change the multiplier, and there is overclock settings in my bios. Although I now have run into a new issue, any overclock higher than the turbo speed of 3.8ghz causes my system to hang when ever large amounts of data is being read off my hdd. Like installing a program or even during bootup. It will read a little then hang for about a minute, read a bit, and hang again, and keeps repeating.

I know it can't be a power or ram issue since my last board was a fx-6100 oc to 4.1ghz and I am using the same 1600 ddr3. The FX uses way more power than the 4670. Do you think it could be voltage based? I am not familiar with issues from overclocking on intel I-core cpu, my last intel was a core 2 which I ran at 3.2 from 2.4. This is the first build I have ever had issues with overclocking. Has this hanging issue been known to happen to other overclockers using Z based boards?

Any insight would be a great help, thank you again.

Comment

Okay, I raised the voltage and it has been fine since. Thank you for your help. Seems like I just lost to the cpu lottery and have a bad binned chip. If I have any other issues I'll let you know. Other than that I will just read around on how to get the most out of my bad bin chip. FYI other then this issue the board has been great, the audio is way better then my last board and I love having usb 3 for my external HDD.

Comment

Glad that worked for you. FYI, Haswell CPU over clocking is different than earlier Intel CPUs, and the farther back you go, the greater the differences.

Also, for even mid-range over clocking of Haswell processors, you need a good board... meaning more pricey and ideally a Z87 board. You can't expect great results with an H87 board, and you can't have enough CPU cooling, or PC case cooling.

A few quick Haswell OCing tips:

If your BIOS has a CPU Cache Ratio setting, reduce that multiplier relative to the CPU Ratio, they are not required to be equal. Set it to 36 and set the CPU Ratio higher, as you have. This reduces instability of an OC. If you have separate voltage settings for CPU Cache, it can be lower than CPU voltage.

The CPU Input voltage should be 1.800V, it helps to set that manually. High OCs (4.4GHz+) may need this voltage increased.

For a test, set the CPU settings to defaults/Auto, and go into the BIOS, and then the H/W Monitor screen. You'll see a CPU voltage displayed there, which gives you a good idea regarding how you did in the "CPU lottery". You may find it is lower than you think it will be. Then OC a bit, say to 4.0-4.1GHz, with CPU voltage set manually to ~1.20V, or on Auto. Again check the CPU voltage shown in the H/W Monitor screen. You'll likely need a bit more than that to boot Windows, but I bet it will be lower than your manual setting.

Haswell processors seem to have an OC threshold, at ~4.3 - 4.4GHz, where at or above that level it becomes more difficult to achieve a stable OC. Also, keeping the CPU cool during stress testing is difficult, Haswell runs hotter when OC'd than any other recent Intel CPU. Simply the nature of this beast.

Comment

Saragrl, could you send me your Bios for the fatal1ty performance? or upload it to a file sharing host? i'm thinking of getting this board and would hate to later find that the bios option to overclock was taken out.
                thanks
                q6600
                ep45-UD3P@F6 Bios
                Gigabyte 6870 OC Edition
                4x1GB OCZ Reaper PC8500
                Vantec ION2+ 600W
                Cooler Master CM690
                Xigmatek Rifle cooler S1283

Comment

Working...
                X