CPU: i5-3570K; 4000BX80637I53570K
    Heatsink: CoolerMaster TX3
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Black; FD-CA-ARC-BL
    Power: Seasonic X750 Gold; SS-750KM3
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 4X (8GB) F3-1866C10D-16GSR
    HD: Samsung SSD 830 Series 256GB; MZ-7PC256B/WW
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90

1. Installed the memory, CPU, & heatsink,
    2. Installed power supply and connected power cable to ATX Power Connector (ATXPWR1) and ATX 12V Power Connector (ATX12V1)
    3. Connected SSD (connected to SATA port 0) and optical drive (connected to SATA port A1)
    4. Connected the power switch cable (although not 100% sure that I got the orientation correct), the reset switch cable (although not 100% sure that I got the orientation correct), the P-LED cables, and the HD-LED cables to the System Panel Header.
    5. Plugged in the monitor and hit the power switch...

Keyboard lights flash (just like they normally do), power button lights up, all the fans spin up, no beeps, no image on the monitor??

The power switch did not seem to turn off the system (and LED stayed lit) -- so I turned off the power supply). Found an internal speaker thingy (in with the case parts) and connected it to the Chassis Speaker Header. Have no idea if I have gotten the orientation correct (mobo is clearly labeled with one end as +5V, (middle pins are dummy), and the other end as "Speaker", but the actual speaker wires are both black and not labeled). Switched out the monitor, turned the power supply back on and hit the power button...

Same result. Keyboard lights flash (just like they normally do), power button lights up, all the fans spin up, no beeps, no image on the monitor??

Surely, I have missed a simple step that all experienced builders know to do automatically?? What is my next step in the diagnostic process?

Re: Cannot get ASRock Z77Pro4 to post

Thanks for listing everything you did, you saved us and yourself a lot of time by doing that right away.

Your memory is not listed in the Memory support list for your board, I don't see any 8GB G.SKILL DIMMs listed at all.

If you're using all four DIMMs now, try using just two in slots A2 and B2, or just one DIMM is A2 or B2. The memory may or may not be the problem, see below.

The polarity or +/- connection of the little beep speaker does not matter, having + on + only matters for multiple audio speakers so they are not out of phase with each other.

The power and reset switch connection polarity should not cause the problem you are having.

The board's power LED should stay on when the PC is shutdown but the PSU is turned on. That LED may not come on if the PSU is turned off/unplugged and then turned on again, annoying and confusing to any builder but common on any mother board.

You may get lucky here, and get farther into POST or even into the BIOS, by moving the optical drive off the A1 (ASMedia) SATA port. Put it on one of the Intel SATA ports, since some of the add on SATA controllers do not work well with optical drives, the board may be hanging on an error starting the optical drive on the ASMedia port. You could just disconnect the optical drive completely at first and see how far you can get, but using an Intel SATA port should work fine, try SATA port 5.

It sounds like you've done this already, but also be sure your SSD in on an Intel SATA port, preferably port 0, as you wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Thanks for listing everything you did, you saved us and yourself a lot of time by doing that right away.

Your memory is not listed in the Memory support list for your board, I don't see any 8GB G.SKILL DIMMs listed at all.

If you're using all four DIMMs now, try using just two in slots A2 and B2, or just one DIMM is A2 or B2. The memory may or may not be the problem, see below.

The polarity or +/- connection of the little beep speaker does not matter, having + on + only matters for multiple audio speakers so they are not out of phase with each other.

The power and reset switch connection polarity should not cause the problem you are having.

The board's power LED should stay on when the PC is shutdown but the PSU is turned on. That LED may not come on if the PSU is turned off/unplugged and then turned on again, annoying and confusing to any builder but common on any mother board.

You may get lucky here, and get farther into POST or even into the BIOS, by moving the optical drive off the A1 (ASMedia) SATA port. Put it on one of the Intel SATA ports, since some of the add on SATA controllers do not work well with optical drives, the board may be hanging on an error starting the optical drive on the ASMedia port. You could just disconnect the optical drive completely at first and see how far you can get, but using an Intel SATA port should work fine, try SATA port 5.

It sounds like you've done this already, but also be sure your SSD in on an Intel SATA port, preferably port 0, as you wrote.
      0. Disconnected all the cables, removed all the RAM, and pulled the mobo out of the case. Set it on a non-static mat. And re-confirmed that the monitor was operating properly. Validated that there are no loose screws rolling around on the mob and no loose wires under the mobo.
      1. Re-connected the power cable to ATX Power Connector (ATXPWR1) and ATX 12V Power Connector (ATX12V1).
      2. Re-plugged the tiny system speaker into the speaker header. Technically, I do not know for sure that this speaker works as it is brand new (with the case), but there is not really any reason to question it at this point given the rest of the results.
      3. Re-plugged the CPU fan cable back into the CPU Fan header.
      4. Plugged the monitor cable back into the DVI port.
      5. Did not reconnect ANY of the front panel cables.
      6. Re-attached the optical drive to SATA3-0 (did not re-install the SSD into any SATA port).
      7. Confirmed on the G.Skill site that my memory (G.Skill Sniper 4X (8GB) F3-1866C10D-16GSR) is supposed to work with this Z77 mobo. See G.SKILL RAM Configurator.
      8. Inserted one stick of RAM into memory channel A1 and one into B1.
      9. Turned on the power supply switch located on the back of the PSU
      10. Shorted the PWRBTN pin to ground to start the system up...

Fan starts and I can hear the optical drive (with the board DVD) spin up. No beeps. Nothing on the monitor.

11. Switched optical drive cable out and tried the optical drive on all the different SATA ports. Same result. Nothing.

12. Tried a different stick of RAM in both A1 and B1. Same result. Nothing.

13. Tried using just one stick of RAM total in channel A1 and then sequentially in each of the other slots. Same result. Nothing.

14. Removed all the RAM and tried to re-start with no RAM whatsoever. Same result. Nothing.

I am not sure what else to try??

Comment

I am not sure what else to try??
        Assuming you have done as you described, it sounds to me as if there is an excellent chance your mobo is bad.
        Hopefully you can get a replacement from the seller.

Comment

Working...
        X