Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New WD SATA drive detecting as IDE in BIOS. Please Help

Hello,
    I am trying to install new WD WD5000AAKX - WD Blue / SE / SE16 (SATA II) -500 GB . But BIOS detecting as IDE and shows 0 MB size. I also tried to set jumper at pin 5-6 but still SATA drive is not detecting correctly.
    Here is my configuration:My mobo is ASRock -Wolfdale1333-D667.
    IDE - 80 GB Samsung - Master - windows 7 installed
    IDE - DVD writer - Slave

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	756225

Also I cannot find option to enable AHCI or RAID mode in BIOS. Please please help me.

Re: New WD SATA drive detecting as IDE in BIOS. Please Help

Originally posted by VinH1977 View Post
    Hello,
    I am trying to install new WD WD5000AAKX - WD Blue / SE / SE16 (SATA II) -500 GB . But BIOS detecting as IDE and shows 0 MB size. I also tried to set jumper at pin 5-6 but still SATA drive is not detecting correctly.
    Here is my configuration:My mobo is ASRock -Wolfdale1333-D667.
    IDE - 80 GB Samsung - Master - windows 7 installed
    IDE - DVD writer - Slave

[ATTACH]6252[/ATTACH]

Also I cannot find option to enable AHCI or RAID mode in BIOS. Please please help me.
    First, you've listed one WD HDD model, and then some other WD model types (WD WD5000AAKX - WD Blue / SE / SE16 (SATA II) -500 GB), which is confusing.

The link to WD in the WD5000AAKX entry brings you to the WD user account login screen, not to a HDD information page. What is the point of the link?

If your new HDD is a WD5000AAKX, it's a SATA III HDD, but you've used the jumper on pins 5 and 6 to force SATA II mode, probably a good idea.

Your board's BIOS and SATA chipset does not support RAID, and does not have an AHCI option either, to old for that.

In the BIOS, go to the IDE Configuration menu, and check the ATA/IDE configuration setting. Try setting it to Enhanced for your new HDD. When Enhanced is chosen, the manual does not show any other options available, like there are for Compatible mode.

Actually, your board's manual shows SATA drives being detected when using Compatible mode, so the BIOS listing the disk as "IDE Hard Disk" does not matter, it's just a label.

Where are you seeing the new HDD as "0 MB size"? Does your PC start when you press F1 from the screen in your picture?

Did you start Disk Management in Windows 7, to initialize and format the new HDD? You must do that with any new HDD in Windows 7.

It is also possible that your new HDD is broken. I see many reports of dead drives when new, by people that bought them in the USA.

Comment

Hello parsec,

Thank you for replying.
      Let me answer of your queries
      Sorry for confusion. My new SATA disk is WD5000AAKX which is delivered to me as Replacement of my old drive from WD.
      AS AHCI option is not found on my BIOS I used Enhanced option is but still is not detecting correctly. I got same advised from someone to use jumper setting for 5 & 6 pin option but this cannot work for me. Even I removed all current IDE drives (Samsung IDE disk and IDE writer ) and tried to boot only SATA disk but its still detecting as IDE.
      And
      Yes, its not detecting on Disk management also.
      Do you think that Drive is Dead or you want to suggest me something ?
      Please see attached pic. SATA disk displaying in BIOS .
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	753946
      Last edited by VinH1977; 10-08-2013, 01:46 AM. Reason: Add a pic

Comment

If the BIOS cannot read the drives information correctly, such as the Vendor and its Size, and all options are Not Supported, and Windows Disk Management does not see the drive, it is most likely dead.

Have you ever used the diskpart command? Start a Windows Cmd window, and type in diskpart. Type in list disk, and see what you get. Type diskpart -h for a list of all commands. If the diskpart command cannot do anything with that drive, it is dead, sorry to say.

Comment

Working...
        X