PS/2 keyboard not seen. FM2A85Xtreme6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS/2 keyboard not seen. FM2A85Xtreme6

I have a few of the old IBM PS/2 keyboards which I prefer over anything newer. The computer doesn't see it. Win 7 Pro.
    The MB is an FM2A85Xtreme6. Is there a BIOS switch that needs to be turned on?
    I can't find anything there. BIOS P2.30A
    TIA

Edit: Is it possible a driver isn't loaded? If so, a link to it, file name, or would it be on the install DVD?
    Last edited by AxlMyk; 10-18-2013, 09:07 PM.

Re: PS/2 keyboard not seen. FM2A85Xtreme6

That may not be easy to figure out. I assume you know the keyboards work on other PCs, right?

Is this a fresh Windows 7 installation you're doing, or just connecting them to an existing one?

Keyboard drivers of any kind would not be on the ASRock driver disk. Keyboard drivers are either supplied by Windows, or the keyboard manufacture.

Can you use another keyboard, and then connect one of your IBM PS/2 specimens, and see if Windows sees it? Or is that what you tried already?

Have you tried a PS/2 to USB adapter, and then connecting to a USB port?

Comment

It's a new PC. OEM Win7 Pro. PowerSpec G310 from Micro Center.
      These IBM keyboards have always worked in other machines. I hate to toss these, as they really are my favs.
      If you hit someone over the head with one, it would surely induce enough damage to turn them back into a 2 year old.

The system works with a UBS KBd.
      Never have I purchased a keyboard, and it came with a driver disk. I can plug any USB KBd into the machine, and they all work.
      I have not tried a PS/2-USB adapter, as I don't have one, but I'll look for one. I have a USB-PS/2, and plugging a USB KBd into it, then it to the port doesn't work.
      That's telling me the port isn't active. It's a dual PS/2 port, meaning a mouse or KBd can be plugged into it. I haven't tried a mouse, as I'm not sure I have one for it. USB mice are fine.

Thanks for the reply. I'd sure like to get this figured out.

Comment

You need not explain your desire to use those keyboards, but it is strange they don't work. I have an old Logitech keyboard that has a metal plate in it, not anymore in this all plastic keyboard world! Ok, maybe mechanical key keyboards have a metal plate too.

No PS/2 to USB adapters? I have many in old parts boxes, they included them with USB keyboards at one time.

It sounds like your PS/2 keyboard is not getting power, or maybe enough power. Do you know if that PC's mother board has the secondary CPU power cable connected? As in the four or eight pin CPU power cable? Sounds unrelated but you never know.

I wonder if that multi-use PS/2 connector on the board is the problem?

Comment

Anything showing on the Dr Debug LED's when this happens?
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Solved, somehow: PS/2 keyboard not seen. FM2A85Xtreme6

I explained my preference for these KBDs because there will always be someone out there to reply, "why use something so old-school?".
            If they haven't used one of these, they will never understand how nice these old IBM keyboards are. Even if it doesn't have a "Windows" key.

Strange things happen. Plugged it in again, booted up, and it installed the PS/2 drivers. It's working.
            Isn't it something how a computer can make you feel so stupid?
            I appreciate your time, parsec and wardog. I'm a happy camper.

Comment

Working...
            X