Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 990FX Extreme4

Hello all,

Just received the 990FX Extreme4 from Amazon. Running it with a pair of G.Skill 8GB sticks, and a AMD FX8350. Install went fine. However, when I power it up, the system will power up, and then turn off. if hold the power button for a second, the system stays on longer, but then shuts off. No post codes, and the DR Debug display on the mobo reads "00".

I pulled the mobo out of the case and tried to power it on, same thing. I removed both stick of memory, so all I have is the CPU, and same thing, DR Debug of 00.

Is the mobo dead?

--nixIT77
    Last edited by nixIT; 10-19-2013, 09:51 AM.

Re: 990FX Extreme4

Originally posted by nixIT View Post
    Hello all,

Just received the 990FX Extreme4 from Amazon. Running it with a pair of G.Skill 8GB sticks, and a AMD FX8350. Install went fine. However, when I power it up, the system will power up, and then turn off. if hold the power button for a second, the system stays on longer, but then shuts off. No post codes, and the DR Debug display on the mobo reads "00".

I pulled the mobo out of the case and tried to power it on, same thing. I removed both stick of memory, so all I have is the CPU, and same thing, DR Debug of 00.

Is the mobo dead?

--nixIT77
    It's better that you post your hardware specs.
    Anyway I had the same problem (I have this mobo) resolved with a new power supply much more powerful. New generation Videocards needs a lot of power to work properly (especially in SLI or Crossfire configuration)

Comment

Thanx for the reply

here are my specs:

ASRock 990FX extreme4 (brand new)
      EVGA 750watt PSU (bought with mobo)
      Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti 2gb RAM (bought with mobo)
      AMD FX 8350 (about 6 months old)
      16GB G.Skill ripjaws (same as CPU)

I don't even have the GPU plugged into mobo.

I checked that the CPU was seated properly, and it is. I cleared the CMOS with the switch on the back of the mobo, and now when I hit the power button, my system flashes on (00 for Dr Debug) and the turns right back off. If I hold the power button on, the system repeated does the quick start up/shut down, until I release the power button.

Would I get a POST if the CPU was dead?

One more odd thing. When I plug in the 12V CPU connector, I get nothing when I power it on, when I remove it, the cpu fan spin and stays on for a while, but dr debug still says 00.

Comment

Sounds to me more like that RAM is at the root of this evil.

Exact make/model of ram please. Details matter.

If not already tried, place two sticks in mem slots A2 and B2 and retry.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by nixIT View Post
          Hello all,

Is the mobo dead?

--nixIT77
          Although sometimes considered not used, POST code 00 can mean a CPU error. Any idea what BIOS version your board has? Should be a sticker on the CMOS chip with the factory BIOS. You need BIOS 1.80 or later for a 8350. BIOS 1.80 is over a year old, so doubtful this is the issue, just FYI.

Did you try clearing the CMOS/BIOS, which is suggested for a 00 Dr Debug error code?

Comment

turns out the CPU is dead.

Comment

Working...
            X