X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z68XP-UD3P Onboard NIC dead?

Hi guys!

Long story short :

Had a Coolermaster Stacker 810 Full Tower case. Changed to Fractal Design Define R4 Midi Tower Case. Same hardware, same PSU, same Hard Disks, everything remained the same. Everything was going to the plan. The final result was a clean and beautiful computer system. Turned on my PC. My Onboard NIC (Realtek 8111E/8111F) seems dead. Windows cannot find it. BIOS Smart Network cannot find it. Also, my PSU makes a synchronous noise (like ticking.. "chik-chik") at the start.. After 5-6 seconds it stops. My system is a little bit unstable when starting.. If I boot to Windows everything works fine.

1. Can I revive my Realtek NIC? I cannot believe that my NIC is dead... How? I build my system with caution! I build PC systems from 1997.. :(
    2. Can you advise me about the PSU noise?...

Please guys help me.. You know that.. when you re in panic you cant think of the solution, even if the solution is right in front of you.
    http://dailyfix.gr
    Blogging for your daily needs!
    Geeks Revenge! Cause being a Geek in those days is SO COOL!

Re: GA-Z68XP-UD3P Onboard NIC dead?

did you try clearing the cmos?

are you using the latest bios?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm using BIOS F7 (I think.. Im not at home right now). I think that it is not the latest BIOS. No, I didnt clear the CMOS. Can you remind me how to do that cause I am an old trooper.. :)

I think that I have to remove the battery right? Can you tell me exactly the steps please?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

yes the motherboard battery,just pinch the metal clips together on the retainer and the battery will pop up,then pull it out and leave it out a good 30 minutes,put back in and it will clip into place and powerup the pc

to flash the bios use a usb memory stick with the bios file on it and flash from within the bios using qflash
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Thank you! Will do and then inform you how it gets!

Thanks again!

Comment

Ok. I did everything. Clear CMOS .. Update bios. Nothing. The PSU makes some ticking noise. Network on board card is dead. Sometimes it boots to windows 7 ok. Sometimes not. Everytime I shutdown the pc and turn it on again there is the ticking noise on the PSU ... Waiting for 1-2 minutes...sound stops...boots ok...nic dead.

I took off the case all the parts. Tried to boot only with gpu ... Memory.. One disk and nothing else. Same problems with the PSU ticking. (Like self-protecting or something like that) some times it boots ok..sometimes it says that"overclocking fails"..everything, is unstable. I can't understand if the problem is the PSU or the motherboard...

Can anyone help me please? I'm so sad...:(

Comment

Your power supply sounds like it's grounding out somewhere and flipping it's protection on and off. You may have a motherboard standoff touching your motherboard. Also, your motherboard power plugs may not be making full contact. Unplug them and replug them in 3-4 times to be certain it's pins are making full contact.
              Last edited by MacG32; 10-21-2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG32 View Post
                Your power supply sounds like it's grounding out somewhere and flipping it's protection on and off. You may have a motherboard standoff touching your motherboard. Also, your motherboard power plugs may not be making full contact. Unplug them and replug them in 3-4 times to be certain it's pins are making full contact.
                As I said earlier I took off everything. No stand offs. Motherboard stands on its box (made from paper) and the PSU stands on my desk (made from wood)... :( that what I was afraid of and took everything out of the case.. But..no..

Comment

Do you have another power supply to test with or a friend that has an extra one? Have you examined the area on the motherboard where the network plug is and followed it back to the chip to see if anything is burned, melted, or looks different?

Did you repeatedly unplug and replug in the power connectors to your motherboard, at least 3-4 times?
                  Last edited by MacG32; 10-21-2013, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I'm with MAC, you you took the MB out of the case it shouldn't be grounding to anything... then it would have to be the power supply not working properly... why you would just lose the NIC is a head scratcher...

when you moved the MB from case to case, did you take the CPU or CPU cooler off? what about the RAM?

Vin
                    Main Rig
                    OS = Win10-64Bit
                    CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
                    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                    MB = Asus ROG C6H
                    GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
                    HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
                    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
                    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
                    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
                    CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
                    Mem = 24GB RAM
                    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
                    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                    HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
                    Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
                    PSU = Corsair TX750
                    Case = Define R5

Comment

I found one Corsair VS450 (450W). I will test it out when I go home on the afternoon and report back to you. You think that it is the PSU that is causing the error right?...hm... :(

Comment

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
                        I'm with MAC, you you took the MB out of the case it shouldn't be grounding to anything... then it would have to be the power supply not working properly... why you would just lose the NIC is a head scratcher...

when you moved the MB from case to case, did you take the CPU or CPU cooler off? what about the RAM?

Vin
                        No, I didnt take off the cooler. For the RAM issue, I took off one DIMM at a time to see if there is a problem with the memory modules. Didnt change anything. :(

I found one PSU from a friend of mine though.. Its a Corsair VS450 (450W) Can I use it just for testing purposes?

Intel Core i7 2600K
                        32GB Ripjaws G.Skill 1600MHz
                        Cooler Fan
                        Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X 1GB
                        1 x Intel SSD 120GB
                        Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P ver.1.0

Comment

A flaky power supply can cause any number of problems.

Is the Onboard H/W LAN enabled in the bios?
                          Is Onboard Boot ROM disabled?
                          Does your bios have a SMART LAN option where you can connect a network cable and it will report the length of your cable?
                          Have you carefully inspected the RJ-45 internet jack on the rear I/O panel for damaged connections?
                          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                            A flaky power supply can cause any number of problems.

Is the Onboard H/W LAN enabled in the bios?
                            Is Onboard Boot ROM disabled?
                            Does your bios have a SMART LAN option where you can connect a network cable and it will report the length of your cable?
                            Have you carefully inspected the RJ-45 internet jack on the rear I/O panel for damaged connections?
                            1. Yes.
                            2. I tried enabling it and disabling it. Same problem.
                            3. It has. No results. Nothing.
                            4. I did. Everything is in place.

Comment

anyway to test with another psu? seems to be having trouble booting up?

can you borrow one
                              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
                              X