Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98, ideas for blocking video games

Looking for some suggestions...

I'm looking for a way to block the installation/download of video games on win98. I know this is very broad. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how I can go about doing this.

Thanks ahead.

Disconnect the internet and all removable media drives from the PC and hope that that is enough. ;)

Comment

In other words it is impossible :confused:

Comment

I can't recall for sure, but I don't think you have enough options for limiting a user under Win98... even if you use profiles. WinXP can have this power (at least in the Pro version), but I don't think so in Win98. If anyone can show me otherwise, I'd certainly be interested in knowing how. Could come in real handy for a couple of the systems at work. They are constantly being abused by the users, but no recourse ever happens. :(
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

One suggestion I've gotten has been to put in an older video card. I thought that was interesting.

How could I block them if I used XP?

Comment

Under NT based Windows oses you can setup user accounts and restrict those accounts however you like as you'll be the Admin. Going to the NTFS file system adds even more security. ;)

Comment

You could prevent FTP transactions thru a firewall ??? maybe.....that'd stop the downloads
              but as for just straight installation ... hmmm .... disable the floppy in the bios?? maybe ...if its a floppy based install
              Or you could use partition magic or something to reduce the partition size to exactly what it is now so there's no room to install??

Some ideas...may not work

Comment

by blocking port 21

Comment

and port 20 as well maybe

Comment

Well you could disconnect the computer from the internet. Then you could get a case that has a locking front panel. If they break the panel they can get in big trouble. I know this wouldnt entirely stop a person that REALLY wants to do this but it will deter most people.

Comment

How about some of the monitoring software that is out there. It may not stop the installs but it would make it easier to track when the software was installed. Or perhaps some parental control software?

I'm thinking it would be easier to modify the human behavior rather than the computer.

An audit trail to when and perhaps who was doing the installation would help you "Educate" :hammer: the offending employees?

Comment

u can desable the Download in internet explorer and also the access to the internet option settings so the person using it cant renable the downloads... this will stop most people but there is a very simple way of getting into it. Just go under Help in the Explorer menu and click around for about 2secs and it will give u a direct link into the contor pannel meaning that the user can just default all the setting and pretty much install and DL any thing they please.... i did this at school. All i can suggest is getting some kind of Program that will detect activity of what is installed and so on, also u can disable 3D graphix somewheres in the Display options. Its preatty much all i can think of

Comment

Working...
                        X