[Build Help] CPU Cooler questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Build Help] CPU Cooler questions

As mentioned [here] SeamusIC comments on Bleeding Edge Mk I xpost from r/buildapc I didn't install my RAM correctly and (despite a solid year of great gaming) overtime experienced [issues] [Troubleshooting] BSODs when gaming : buildapc which resulted in a need to move around my RAM, leading to some more [issues] [Troubleshooting] Misoriented my dimm, dr diag says 19, 53. Wat I break? : buildapc... At this point I'll soon be recieving an OEM mobo in which I plan to test all my RAM using memtest, however I fear I'll still be faced with an issue with fitting my current CPU Cooler into the machine with all that RAM.

I'm thinking I could move one of the Phanteks fans to another place in the case, (maybe to help with cooling the GPU) but I'm worried that could negatively affect the CPU's temp...

Anyone have any advice around this?

TLDR: [CPU Cooler] Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler (PH-TC14PE_RD) - PCPartPicker doesn't fit with RAM installed, can I safely operate my CPU Cooler with only 1 of the fans running?

Re: [Build Help] CPU Cooler questions

From what I've read, the second fan on those double-fan coolers only makes a difference of a few degrees. Although your particular cooler seems quite unusual, with its two heatsinks. Still, I'd think that a fan in the middle that pulled from one heatsink and pushed into the other should do fine. As long as you're not trying to do any extreme overclocking, I think it'd be fine.

But anyway, what's stopping you from taking the fan off the problematic RAM-side end, flipping it, then attaching it to the other side of the cooler (so it's no longer sucking away from the RAM and into the heatsink, but is sucking away from the other heatsink and pushing towards the back of the case)?

Comment

Re: [Build Help] CPU Cooler questions

Originally posted by Volnaiskra View Post
      From what I've read, the second fan on those double-fan coolers only makes a difference of a few degrees. Although your particular cooler seems quite unusual, with its two heatsinks. Still, I'd think that a fan in the middle that pulled from one heatsink and pushed into the other should do fine. As long as you're not trying to do any extreme overclocking, I think it'd be fine.

But anyway, what's stopping you from taking the fan off the problematic RAM-side end, flipping it, then attaching it to the other side of the cooler (so it's no longer sucking away from the RAM and into the heatsink, but is sucking away from the other heatsink and pushing towards the back of the case)?

Thanks for responding Volnaiskra! I have RAM slots on both sides of the MOBO, and need to fill them a1,b1,c1... so moving the fan to the other side isn't an option as that side is filled with ram too, but I really do appreciate the response! I think I'll stick the other fan on the side of my case near my videocard (which was running a bit warm before) and leave just the single fan for the CPU, My CPU temps are always pretty cool, and I don't plan to OC anytime soon. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Working...
      X