Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87M Extreme4 no POST, nuffin

Hi,

after having received the last bits for a new system I built it up today, then pushed the power button and ... nothing.

No POST, screen stays black, no beep, no anything, CPU fan speeds up, but nothing else.

Usual things like Clear CMOS, removing bits and reseating them, one by one, already tried, nothing helped,
    total silence, total darkness.

Any ideas ?

TIA and best regards,

Alex

Re: Z87M Extreme4 no POST, nuffin

Outside link to tomshardware.com thread. Please see Post #1 . PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about POST/boot/no video problems! - Product - Systems.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Thanks for the link, wardog, while I am pretty sure I can answer most, if not all, questions positively
      I'll try extracting the mobo again to make 1000% sure there are no shorts (although I never managed
      to cause one the many times I built my own systems). Unfortunately this means removing the cooler
      to reach all the screws, yada yada *sigh*

Comment

Yea. Sorry for no easy reply/answer.

Heatsink or water cooler get tightened too tight?
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Heatsink (Noctua NH-L12) removed for a while, backplane mounting untightened a bit, mobo pulled out of case
          to make sure no shorts (placed on an antistatic with no contact to the case but cables still connected (all but fan)),
          PS is a be quiet! BN143 (450W) which comes with 2x4 ATX to fill the 8-pin power connector, CPU (i5-4570S)
          installed correctly (there's about no way of getting this wrong anyway), tried with IGP and a separate video card,
          doesn't change the symptoms a bit.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure of is RAM, using 2x Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3-1600, CL8-8-8-24 (BLT2CP8G3D1608DT1TX0CEU)
          which are not on the compatibility list, as they are dual-channel I seated them in A1+B1 as well as A2+B2, as per the manual, and
          I tried removing both, in which case I'd have expected at least a signal of anger from the BIOS, but nothing here either.

Thanks for your input !

Comment

I would try and beg steal borrow another set of ram to test with,could be that
            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

As wazza says. Hit a friend or relative up.

Crucial states this ram is not compatible with your Z87M Extreme4. See Crucial.com/eu - Advanced Search and key in steps 1-3 on the left side of the page.

Comment

I've now pulled 4 pieces of KVR1333D3N9K2/8G from one of my servers (which was a major pain to extract them from underneath
                the heatsink), and these guys are clearly listed as being compatible with this mobo, but still NO CHANGE

ASRock > Z87M Extreme4
                Last edited by A-l-e-x; 11-13-2013, 02:49 AM. Reason: rephrase

Comment

Time to take a peek at the bare socket.

Comment

Please bear with me, maybe my english just isn't good enough, but - what am I supposed to do here ?

Another hint I've been given is measure the PS' output which may just be enough to spin up the fan(s) but
                    doesn't supply 12V, does this sound reasonable ?

Comment

Ok, just had the time to get back to this today, and I realized that the "bare socket" most likely means the CPU socket,
                      and indeed there seem to be issues, not sure if it comes across via the picture, but a visual check makes me believe
                      there are some pins / contacts which look suspicious.
                      Attached Files

Comment

It's very hard to check for bad cpu socket pins with a fuzzy picture, there are at least two damaged areas:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ASRock Z87M Extreme4 Bent Damaged CPU Socket Pins.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	754009

The following is a much more useful picture:

One or more high resolution closeups is often best:

Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

That's the areas I've identified as potentially bad as well, thanks for the confirmation !
                          (And sorry for the fuzzy picture).

Will ask for a board replacement.

Comment

You're welcome.
                            Hopefully they won't claim that it's user caused damage and deny your RMA.

It's very hard to photograph the socket pins, even when you have a tripod and a decent 5 mega-pixel (or higher) camera that can shoot using macro mode. Good, even lighting without using a flash is best. I've seen a few examples where there weren't any bent pins, but the height of some pins were lower than all the other pins and this won't show up in an overhead photo. When I get a new motherboard, I carefully check pin alignment and pin height before I install the cpu. Checking pin height is done by inspecting the pins where your viewing angle is close to the motherboard's surface.

If none of the pins are broken or burnt, it is sometimes possible to very carefully straighten bent pins, but there is a good chance that you will break one or more pins.

Good luck, let us know how everything turns out.
                            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Board replaced - all fine now !

(Late) Happy New Year to everyone.

Sorry for the delay, the RMA process took quite a while, the holiday season certainly didn't speed things up either, I guess.

Although I, in my anger about having received a faulty board, stupidly and thoughtlessly damaged the socket even more by
                              putting the PnP cap onto the socket directly got the board replaced and ... everything worked just fine with the new board,
                              out of the box, even the "incompatible" RAM (Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3-1600 as mentioned earlier) didn't cause an issue at all.

Thanks for all input !

Comment

Working...
                              X