Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with B75M-GL R2.0

Hi,
    I am updating my HTPC system with a B75M-GL R2.0, an Intel G2030, and a single sided DDR3 4GB stick by Geil. When I boot up the system, it freezes after about 5 seconds. For example - I enter the UEFI BIOS and navigate to the HW monitor section. Mouse and keyboard input is no longer recognized, but the screen keeps updating - CPU never goes over 30C and MB never over 25C. All voltages seem in order: 12v is ~ 11.7, 5v is ~5.1, 3.3v is ~3.31. I cannot do anything but push the power button. If I boot with a USB stick with Windows, it starts loading files and freezes half way through the initial progress bar.

Do I have a defective board or is this a known issue? I am keeping the PSU from the old system but it should be plenty - 250W SFX form factor and I do not use an external videocard.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Problem with B75M-GL R2.0

If you would be so kind, please list the parts that your system is comprised of, with model #'s.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

4GB PC3-12800 1600 Mhz, GEIL - P/N GG34GB1333C9SC

ASRock B75M-GL R2.0 - ASRock > B75M-GL R2.0

SFX-250 PSU (250W, MircoATX form factor)

USB keyboard and USB mouse connected to USB2 ports. USB Flash drive connected to USB2 port with Windows installation files.

I have not yet connected the HDD or optical drive so it is just the components above.

Comment

Originally posted by b1t View Post
        I have not yet connected the HDD or optical drive so it is just the components above.
        And ..... Just what happens when you do connect the HDD and ODD?

Your 12v rail, running at 11.7v, is getting pretty awful slim for my liking.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Connecting a HDD (WD 500GB Green) does not make a difference - keyboard and mouse stop responding in BIOS after 2-3 sec. I will try a more powerful PSU tonight and if that does not help I have no choice but to RMA the board.

Comment

Originally posted by b1t View Post

4GB PC3-12800 1600 Mhz, GEIL - P/N GG34GB1333C9SC

ASRock B75M-GL R2.0 - ASRock > B75M-GL R2.0

SFX-250 PSU (250W, MircoATX form factor)

USB keyboard and USB mouse connected to USB2 ports. USB Flash drive connected to USB2 port with Windows installation files.

Your Geil memory is not listed in your board's memory compatibility list, so we cannot be certain that it will work with your board. You can't just use any memory you like or have with current mother boards, or really the memory controller that is part of the CPU.

Geil states that this memory has been tested on Intel P55, P67, and Z68 Intel chipset boards, but not on a B75 or any other Intel 7 series chipset boards:

PC3-10660 1333MHz C9 GREEN SINGLE CHANNEL - Products - GeIL Memory

You should check the memory voltage in the BIOS, as quickly as you can before it freezes of course. If it is at the specification of 1.3V, you can try increasing it to 1.35V - 1.4V, as it seems the memory might be borderline stable now. If the memory voltage is at 1.5V or more, try reducing it. Have you set any memory settings in the BIOS?

What BIOS version does your board have? Version 1.30 is said to improve memory compatibility, if you have an earlier BIOS, it might help changing to 1.30 or a later version.

A couple of the ASRock 8 series chipset boards had a BIOS freezing issue, but I've never heard of that in any 7 series chipset boards.

There are many power supply's called "SFX-250", so impossible to tell which one you have. Do you have the four pin CPU power cable connected to the board?

Did you try unplugging and then reconnecting the mouse and keyboard?

Comment

It's the RAM. I tried booting with a different 4gb stick (Kingston) and there was no freeze. parsec was correct that the GEIL memory is not compatible with this motherboard/chipset.

Comment

It's hit and miss with single-sided ram on any MB.

Glad to hear you found the problem.

Comment

Working...
                X