Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Pro & AMD FX-9370... whose reporting the right clock speeds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Pro & AMD FX-9370... whose reporting the right clock speeds...

Sup everybody...

I've been doing upgrades on my high end gaming machine and started having some interesting results with regards to whose reporting the correct clock speeds...

Let me first of all go over my current build...

Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Pro
    CPU: AMD FX-9370 @ Stock 4.4Ghz/4.7Ghz Boost
    Ram: 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill F3-1866C10D-16GSR @ 1600Mhz
    Video Cards: 2x EVGA GTX-770 SLI

This is what windows says...

This is what AMD Overdrive says...

and when turbo boost is on...

Everything looks good right???

Whelp this is where is gets... strange...

This is what CPU-Z 1.67.1 says...

and turbo boost...

and finally CoreTemp...

So... that being said...

I wanted to get other people's thoughts on these results...

Also, i just wanted to add one more thing...

I have tried running the Memory in Single Channel and Dual Channel @ 1866Mhz and 1333Mhz using 2 modules instead of 4 and for some reason the CPU clocks @ 4.39Ghz/4.69Ghz Boost... It only seems to show 4.4/4.7Ghz when i'm running the Ram @ 1600Mhz...

AdTHANXvance for any feedback. It is very much appreciated.

- AJ

Re: ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Pro & AMD FX-9370... whose reporting the right clock speeds...

I wouldn't worry too much about the differences.

It's that you're looking at different reporting programs and the way they interpret what they each see/read that accounts for those slight differences.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Re: ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Pro & AMD FX-9370... whose reporting the right clock speeds...

Additionally, the same can be seen when looking at temps in different programs.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

IMO, the ASRock supplied Fatal1ty F-Stream would probably give you the closest reading.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
          I wouldn't worry too much about the differences.

It's that you're looking at different reporting programs and the way they interpret what they each see/read that accounts for those slight differences.
          Yea that's what i figured... Thank you for responding :)

Actually i did install F-Stream recently and it BSOD as soon as I launched it so could be an incompatibility with Windows 8.1...

- AJ

Comment

Hey so i had to make an account here because maybe you can help. My system is similar. I just recieved my 9370 and put it in place of my old zambizzle 4100 (ran at 4.5 Ghz with 8gb of ram at 1866mhz for 2 years almost 24/7):). I put the 9370 in and expected win 7 to read 4.4Ghz but it read 4.27GHz. So did Cpu-Z. also windows stated that only 4gb of ram was usable, and it was in single channel too. at 1600mhz i guess too. i dont know too much about the ram timing stuff and cpu indepth stuff. I thought it could be a lack of mobo power, but if i upped the multiplier in the bios so that bios said the CPU would run at 4.5Ghz, it booted to windows fine and windows read 4.38. i've got the clock up too 4.57 stable but i would like my all 8gb o ram and maybe at 1866, what do i need to do? sorry for the ignorance.

Comment

toe, what slots did you place the memory in? Look in the manual as it details which two slots are preferred. You prob or not I dunno but worth asking here and looking there.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                toe, what slots did you place the memory in? Look in the manual as it details which two slots are preferred. You prob or not I dunno but worth asking here and looking there.
                So, in admittance of My slapdash behaviour, I had just got my 9370, ahem and my lvl10gtsnow case today, i had just finished transferring all my parts, and in my defense the ram slots on this board are not my favorite, There are no ram clips on the top of the slots just little placement guides. I think it looks like someone snapped them off and i prefer clips on both sides anyways. However I went to reseat the ram, cuz why not, and sure enough one of the southern clips on ram stick dos was not engaged, I switched em to slots 2 and 4 for good measure, booted. Bios reads 1866 again all 8 gb and now the frequency of my 9370 reads 4.69Ghz near what bios does. (Bios set at 4.7 all done with multiplier, volt is stock 1.515)
                Got that oldschool coolermaster V8 CPU cooler on it and i ran 3Dmark a couple times. The CPU would climb to 67 sometimes 68r69 but go back down to 64 in the loading screens, btw Firestrike demo at 1080 with a dab o AA and AF increased from a min 5 avg 11 max 41 fps with my zambezi fx4100 quad to a ridiculous min 11 avg 36 max 89 with this 9370 at 4.7 erm....4.69GHZ. im happy now :))
                Last edited by toehopper; 03-15-2014, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toehopper View Post
                  im happy now :))
                  2-4 :wink

And I whole heatedly agree. The one side of the mem slot locks are, for lack of a better word, different.

Have fun on that board/cpu combo.

Comment

Working...
                  X