990FX Win 8.1 USB and eSata not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 990FX Win 8.1 USB and eSata not working

I just installed my 990FX Extreme 9 MB, installed Win 8 and Win 8.1, installed all the drivers. Went to the ASrock site downloaded the latest drivers, installed them as well. When I attempt to install a USB HD(on any USB port) or connect to an eSata port the drive is not seen. I looked in Disk Management and the drive is not there. I checked the drives on another system (Win 8.0) and they are seen on that system plus I verified that I can use the drives on the Win 8.0 system.

After installing the board in my tower and before installing windows I plugged my USB mouse receiver into a USB 2 port and the mouse is working. With the drives I tried the second USB port that is connected to the USB header on the MB that the mouse is connected to - but I don't see the drives.

The eSata port on the front of my tower is connected directly to one of the 8 SATA ports ports on the MB but I do not see the drive when I connect it on this port. I also tried all of the eSata ports on the back of the MB and still do not see the drive.

I'm sure I've done something silly but I don't know what. Any suggestions?

Re: 990FX Win 8.1 USB and eSata not working

I just installed my Logitech G930 wireless headset using one of the USB 2 ports I had connected my USB hard drive to. The headset was detected as soon as I plugged it in and after installing the latest Logitech G930 software for Win 8 the software interface for the G930 is working and the headset is working all except for the subwoofer in the headset. I've not researched the subwoofer function at this time.

The net of this installation is that my USB ports seem to be working but I cannot detect a HD when I connect to a USB (2/3) or eSata Port.

Comment

Hello and Welcome to TweakTown.

Next question would be ...........

With the USB HDD connected at boot does the BIOS see/recognize it? Does the BIOS see it while connected to USB 2.0, 3.0, or neither one?

Please, so that we might better help read #1 in my sig and list with as much detail as possible the hardware you have there. It may prove pertinent.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

OK I updated my signature with all of my system specs (I think).
        Currently no overclocking or underclocking. I have no idea what undervolting is thus I don't think I'm doing it.

Holy cow you have a LOT of hardware!

For the PSU I have a Corsair AX1200 which is an overkill, in my signature I did not mention that I also have 6 -3TB drives that are connected to a 3ware RAID controller but the 3ware controller has NOT been installed but the drives are installed. Currently there are no Win 8.x drivers for the 3ware controller thus I may move it to another system that I may build or take the gamble that it will work with Win 8.1 using the Win7 drivers. Prior to building the system with the Asrock 990 I tested with a ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme and Win 8.0 and it worked.

Per the PSU Calculator I'm using 960W (this includes ALL the hardware in the tower).

None of the USB ports (2/3) see the hard drives.
        None of the eSata ports see the external SATA drive.
        Connecting the drives to USB/eSATA and rebooting do NOT resolve the issue
        I have not looked at the BIOS to see if the drive is showing

Currently I'm VERY early in my software build, CPU utilization is peaking at 73% and averaging about 50% (this seems high for very little installed - it just dropped to an average of 27%), memory is at 26% (with my ASUS build it ran at 50% with all of my applications installed, normally I have about 50 windows open and numerous tabs in the Chrome browser)
        Last edited by jgt1942; 12-24-2013, 11:23 PM. Reason: forgot to answer some ques

Comment

OH crap, sometimes when I plug something into a USB port the system will freeze and it seems that my only option is to press the reset button.

I've been testing with my Toshiba 1TB 2.5 inch external USB drive. When I connect it to a USB 3 port the light on the drive is blue, when I connect it to a USB 2 port the light is white but the PC does not see the drive in either port.

I also looked at the BIOS with the Toshiba connected to various port, it is not seen.
          I also connected my eSATA drive to various eSATA ports and the drive is not seen in the BIOS

I then connected everything to the rear panel still the drives are not seen in the BIOS. I left everything connected, hit the reset button, booted into win 8.1 and now ASRock XFast USB (v3.02.31) pops up asking me to disconnect and reconnect the Toshiba drive in the USB 3 port (nothing about the other drive that is connected to the USB 2 port and the drive connected to the eSATA port. This is the first time I've seen XFast. Should I be able to run it anytime I want?

I disconnected the Thoshiba USB 3 drive and reconnected it. Now XFast reports the drive as connected and I can see the drive in xplorer2 (Windows Explorer replacement application). However it is not working in my USB 2/3 ports on the front of my tower.

BIG OH crap! I just discovered that my external USB 2/eSATA enclosure is bad. GEE wiz I'm getting low on the external enclosures.

I pulled an external enclosure (that is working) off of my laptop. First I tested ALL of the USB ports on the back and all work. Now I moved to the front of my tower and tested. Holly cow, it is working in all four ports.

I then tested the Toshiba in all four ports on the front of my tower, dog-gone it is now working in all of the ports.

However none on the eSATA ports (on the back of the tower or front of the tower) are working. Before I jump to any conclusions I'll have to test on another system. However it is late and I'll take a look at this tomorrow.

I have no idea why the USB ports started to work.

Comment

I'm not a fan of any XFast utils. My advice, uninstall them and don't look back. Or if you must, uninstall them for now until you get all this sorted then do what you may with 'em.

Random questions:

Is the 3Ware card installed in a slot but not being used? It's early here(1st Dr Pepper is still half full), so I may be reading that wrong.

Seeings you mention a RAID card, is the MB's Sata controller set to RAID? RAID would give you AHCI as a subset.

Did you jump through the hoops and install the OS as a UEFI install? Or a normal install?

Any chance of you listing what drives and that eSata(MB Sata port to case) is connected to just what Sata ports on the MB?

re: eSata ports not working

Any chance you installed with both the SATA(990FX) and ASMedia controllers in IDE mode instead of AHCI?

"SATA IDE Combined Mode" set to disabled?

re: Your Sig

"-AMD 890FX Chipset" Say what?
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

OK let me see if I can answer your questions and I have a few.

Q - Is the 3Ware card installed in a slot but not being used? It's early here(1st Dr Pepper is still half full), so I may be reading that wrong.
              A - The 3Ware card is NOT installed, it is currently just hanging off of the drives via the cables that go to the drives. I did not want to remove the cables, I was thinking that if I do the RAID 5 array would be messed up if I don't get the cable connected back in the same order. I have no idea if my thought process is correct. I've used RAID 5 or 6 for years but that still leaves me in the dark, e.g. I'm a long way from being knowledgeable about RAIDs.

Q Seeings you mention a RAID card, is the MB's Sata controller set to RAID? RAID would give you AHCI as a subset.
              A I set the MB to AHCI for all SATA ports. Currently my thoughts are NOT to use the RAID in the MB. I've got two 4TB drives on order, they should arrive this Saturday. I'm going to install all of my libraries on one drive and use backup applications to backup the libraries. In my previous system I had two 3TB RAID 1 arrays but when the ASUS MB failed the replacement MB (refurbished) created an issue which resulted in the RAID 1 arrays almost constantly resyncing. This created a huge performance hit and annoyed me to no end so I "broke" the RAID 1 arrays, this reverted both back to NO RAID, e.g. I than had four single image drives.

Q Did you jump through the hoops and install the OS as a UEFI install? Or a normal install?
              A I think I just did a normal install. I booted off of my Win 8.0 DVD, installed Win 8.0, I then started the upgrade Win 8.1 DVD, installed the upgrade, activated Win 8.1, ran Windows Update.

In that I'm still early in the build if I did it wrong I can restart.

Q Any chance of you listing what drives and that eSata(MB Sata port to case) is connected to just what Sata ports on the MB?
              A Let me give it a shot. I have bundled my cables and secured them with plastic ties thus they are a bit difficult tofollow through the tower.
              Darn I just attempted to upload a PNG image and the forum states that I can but when I hit the upload button I get a message that the filetype is not valid. I'm going to reference the MB UG PDF for the port assignment
              A1 - Samsung 840EVO 500GB SSD (Boot drive)
              A2 - LG Blueray Drive
              5 - Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723030ALA640 3TB
              6 - Goes to my eSATA port on the front of my tower
              3 - WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD30EFRX
              4 - Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA III 64 MB Cache Bare/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD30EZRX
              1 - Empty-
              2 - WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD30EFRX

Darn, I just discovered all of the above for the ports is displayed in the BIOS. I was going a bit nuts trying to trace the darn cables.

Q Any chance you installed with both the SATA(990FX) and ASMedia controllers in IDE mode instead of AHCI?
              A I don't know, I assume I check this in the BIOS (press F2 or Del during the boot)
              OK I just checked
              ASMEDIA Controller is set to AHCI

Q "SATA IDE Combined Mode" set to disabled?
              A I don't know, I assume I check this in the BIOS (press F2 or Del during the boot)
              "SATA IDE Combined Mode" was set to enable, now it is disabled

Q Your Sig "AMD 890FX Chipset" Say what?
              A It was late .... now corrected

Q I'm not a fan of any XFast utils. My advice, uninstall them and don't look back. Or if you must, uninstall them for now until you get all this sorted then do what you may with 'em.
              A I just uninstalled XFast RAM, XFast LAN, XFast USG using Revo Uninstaller Pro and will reboot

Ques: After reading through the UG (this was not written by someone with good English skills!) I was under the impression that the MB SATA ports were hot-plugable but when I removed a data cable from one of my drives it was still present in Disk Management.

GOOD NEWS - The SATA ports are now working, very shortly after plugging in a drive into any of my SATA ports (two in the back and one on the front of my tower) I see the drive in Disk Management and I can use them ---- BIG Thanks

Comment

Dang.

"A1 - Samsung 840EVO 500GB SSD (Boot drive)"

Get that SSD off the ASmedia controller top most ports SATA3_A1 and SATA3_A2 and onto one of six that reside below them.

Then that 500GB EVO will shine. Those ASMedia ports are notoriously slower compared to the boards "native' controllers.

I only use the ASMedia SATA ports for CD/DVD/BD drives and also for storage drives. Streaming ISO's to my home theater don't tax the ASMedia controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by jgt1942 View Post
                  Ques: After reading through the UG (this was not written by someone with good English skills!) I was under the impression that the MB SATA ports were hot-plugable but when I removed a data cable from one of my drives it was still present in Disk Management.
                  Hot plug and hot swap are actually two very different beasts.

They are often confused, and all to often get used as synonyms while describing each when in fact they are not.

I suggest Google'ing the two words. Until then please try not to get the urge to pull the cable(s) off a running drive.

HotSwap is what I use here when I need to rotate a drive out using CRU sleds.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                    Dang.

"A1 - Samsung 840EVO 500GB SSD (Boot drive)"

Get that SSD off the ASmedia controller top most ports SATA3_A1 and SATA3_A2 and onto one of six that reside below them.

Then that 500GB EVO will shine. Those ASMedia ports are notoriously slower compared to the boards "native' controllers.

I only use the ASMedia SATA ports for CD/DVD/BD drives and also for storage drives. Streaming ISO's to my home theater don't tax the ASMedia controllers.
                    I shut down, moved the boot cable from A1 inserted into SATA port #1 which was empty, hit the power on, pressed del to go into the BIOS. Here I check the SATA ports and I can see the SSD on Port 1 but when I check the "Boot Option Priorities" I do not see the SSD as one of my options. I see
                    1. My Blueray
                    2. UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell
                    3. Windows Boot Manager
                    4. AHCI P1: WDC WD30EFRX-68Ax9N0

Prior to the cable switch I saw the SSD as an option. Now what the heck have I done wrong....

Comment

I just selected "Windows Boot Manager" as the boot option and it seems to be working. I've never seen this as an option thus was confused and unknowledgable. Is this correct?

I'm still encountering a system freeze sometimes when I plug a USB device in a USB port. I just plugged the USB 3 Toshiba 2.5" drive in one of the front ports of my tower, the Toshiba white light came on which means it was detected as USB 2 and the system froze my only recourse was to press the reset button. I removed the Toshiba drive and hit the reset.

I then connected the Toshiba drive to the back of the tower USB 3 port coming off the MB. It was properly detected and I could use it.

Comment

Please confirm I have the correct Storage Configuration settings, following are what I currently have
                        • SATA Controller - Enabled
                        • SATA Mode - AHCI
                        • AMD AHCI BIOS ROM - Disabled
                        • SATA IDE Combined Mode - Disabled
                        • Aggressive Link Power Management - Enabled
                        • Hard Disk SMART - Enabled
                        • ASMedia SATA3 Mode - Enabled
                        • SATA Boot ROM - Disabled

I read through the manual regarding BIOS but most of it was like water on a duck's back. I see the words but very often I have no idea what the heck they are trying to tell me. OK so I'm old and slow.

Comment

I just selected "Windows Boot Manager" as the boot option and it seems to be working. I've never seen this as an option thus was confused and unknowledgable. Is this correct?[/COLOR]
                          With Windows 8.x I believe that's correct. I don't use Win8. I remember reading that it may show up as that in the bios, reasons unknown to me.

Please confirm I have the correct Storage Configuration settings, following are what I currently have
                          • SATA Controller - Enabled
                          • SATA Mode - AHCI
                          • AMD AHCI BIOS ROM - Disabled
                          • SATA IDE Combined Mode - Disabled
                          • Aggressive Link Power Management - Enabled
                          • Hard Disk SMART - Enabled
                          • ASMedia SATA3 Mode - Enabled
                          • SATA Boot ROM - Disabled

I read through the manual regarding BIOS but most of it was like water on a duck's back. I see the words but very often I have no idea what the heck they are trying to tell me. OK so I'm old and slow.
                          That looks good to me.

Easy with the "old and slow'. I'm feeling my age today and it ain't pretty.

Comment

Working...
                          X