990FX EXTREME3 Hibernation sleep problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 990FX EXTREME3 Hibernation sleep problem

Just finished my build for a HTP/Gaming rig and I am having a hard time with waking my system from sleep. First off I have set all my Bios sleep options in the on setting and in windows 7 my devices that I want to use are set to wake.
    The problem is that it will wake from sleep fine for 1 or 2 times and after that it will do absolutely nothing. I try my mouse and keyboard and it will not respond, I then try the pc case on and off switch and nothing. I then have to pull out my case and unplug the A.C.cord from the power supply and wait then replugg it in and then it will respond to the case power switch and keyboard.

I tried the current Bios update on Asrock's website and I even tried setting it to hibernation mode and still having this issue. It would be great if I can get this board to work with waking since it is being used for a Home Theater setup.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Specs:
    Amd fx/8320 O'clock to 4.0
    Gskill F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL 2133 @ 1866 mhz
    MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5
    Thermaltake TR-600watt Powersupply
    Scandisk SSD 64Gb
    Last edited by evapa; 01-03-2014, 12:31 PM.

Re: 990FX EXTREME3 Hibernation sleep problem

First, I don't see your FX 8320 processor listed in the 990FX EX 3's CPU support list.

Next, your memory is not in the Memory Support list.

You've mentioned Windows Sleep and Hibernate in the thread title, two different things. Hibernate should resume even after a power loss, such as turning off the PC as you mentioned. You've tried both with the same result? Your SSD would have a 8GB hibernate file on it if you use Hibernate, do you have enough free space for that?

IMO, your 600W power supply is rather weak for your CPU and video card combination. Wake from Sleep issues include power supplies not being able to keep up with a sudden power demand, particularly with an OC.

Check the Windows Event log for information about failed wake from Sleep events.

Comment

Re: 990FX EXTREME3 Hibernation sleep problem

adaqui
      Originally posted by parsec View Post
      First, I don't see your FX 8320 processor listed in the 990FX EX 3's CPU support list.

Next, your memory is not in the Memory Support list.

You've mentioned Windows Sleep and Hibernate in the thread title, two different things. Hibernate should resume even after a power loss, such as turning off the PC as you mentioned. You've tried both with the same result? Your SSD would have a 8GB hibernate file on it if you use Hibernate, do you have enough free space for that?

IMO, your 600W power supply is rather weak for your CPU and video card combination. Wake from Sleep issues include power supplies not being able to keep up with a sudden power demand, particularly with an OC.

Check the Windows Event log for information about failed wake from Sleep events.
      According to New Egg Q&A this mobo does support the Amd Vishera Am3+ cpu. My ram is also supported, just not listed. I was told by Gskill that it will work fine but I had to clock it to 1866mhz since the fx prossesor only handles that speed.

I do understand the difference in both sleep modes, just can't get them both to wake properly. If I use any sleep feature they both will wake 2 or 3 times with no problems. After that I get no response from my case. That is when I disconnect the power in order to resume back to windows, respond to mouse and/or keyboard strokes. Currently my SSD has 20GB of free space as it only has windows installed.

Are you thinking that 600 watts it not enough power? After checking both Thermaltake and Newegg's power supply calculators, it would seem as though the maximum needed is 500 watts. I could see running a higher watt power supply if i was running in Crossfire mode or running at a higher overclock. However, since I am running stock volts on my cpu, everything is running stable in Prime and not having any lock up issues or resets I believe this should be fine.

I may be going back to Asus and run my dice to see if this issue clears up. I believe I have a Bios issue that stops responding to my input commands to wake my system. This mobo is great but I cant have this issue were I am not able to wake with a Harmony remote controller.
      Thank's for your quick response and if any other ideas wold be great.

Comment

Working...
      X