Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H87 pro4 sometimes will not detect HDD ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H87 pro4 sometimes will not detect HDD ?

Hey everyone,

I just upgraded my PC and put in a new ASRock H87 Pro4 MOBO and i5 4670 CPU, eventually I started getting this on boot...

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

It was booting to my Disc Drive instead of HDD(even though HDD was set as Default). Also if I remove the Disc Drive from Boot Options, it boots to the Bios Setup.

The funny thing about it is this isn't guaranteed to happen, and if it does happen, I can just simply reboot and it will detect the HDD and Windows will load normally and work fine.

Any thoughts on this? I didn't touch anything, I left the motherboard on the defaults when I installed Windows 7 and the hardware.

The SATA option was set to AHCI by default and not IDE(not sure how likely that could be the cause)

**UPDATE: I rechecked all my connections and even plugged the HDD into a new SATA port, after doing this the HDD would not be detected at all. Once I swapped it back to the original SATA port, it was being recognized, but only every other restart just like the original issue**
    Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

BIOS:(taken from dxdiag)
    Date: 07/05/13, 12:31:16, Ver: 04.06.05

Hardware:
    ASRock H87 Pro4
    Intel i5 4670
    Western Digital Black 1TB HDD (about 2 years old, has been working flawlessly until new MOBO)

Geforce GTX 560 Ti
    G.Skill DDR3 1600
    Corsair GS700 PSU

Thanks,

-Jordan

Last edited by Jfaust; 01-04-2014, 06:57 PM.

Re: H87 pro4 sometimes will not detect HDD ?

That BIOS version is not the version number used on your board's download page, or shown in your BIOS. Check the main page of the BIOS for the BIOS version, or the white sticker on the BIOS chip on the board itself (if you have not updated the BIOS yourself.)

What SATA driver are you using?

A "WD Black 1TB HDD" tells us nothing about your drive, there are dozens of different models of WD Black 1TB HDDs.

Using AHCI mode is not the cause of a drive detection issue. Believe me, you want AHCI mode with any drive, it was originally designed for HDDs.

Drive detection issues are more common with Haswell systems, which is related to their power saving options.

Comment

Re: H87 pro4 sometimes will not detect HDD ?

There is 2 HDD models not "dozens".

Which is... WD1002FAEX

There is no bios version in the uefi. However, CPU-Z has it down as ver. 1.5 which would be the original version for the board.

As for sata drivers im not real sure. In device manager the sata controller driver is fairly new. But the drivers under the 1 and 5 sata ports (which are the ones my hdd and disc drive are in) Are very old (year 2006) which is several years older than when the PC was originally built. Assuming those are the sata drivers im looking for ill update them when I get home from work.

Oddly enough I swapped the device end of the hdd and disc drive sata cables and the issue went away.(for now atleast)

Thanks,
      -Jordan

Comment

Working...
      X