ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 not powering up after some (5?) successfull boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 not powering up after some (5?) successfull boots

Hi, I'm trying to figure out what is happening to my brand new Z87 Extreme 6 (core i3 4330 and Crucial DD3 1600 Ballistix Sport). PSU is Seasonic G450.
    This is the short story:
    - I assembled the parts last week, then I started installing OS, software etc. everything worked OK
    - last use of the pc ended with a successful and correct switch off
    - yesterday I disconnected the two power ATX cables because I needed to try on another pc which was not turning on, if my brand new Seasonic could be of any help. So I removed the 8-pin and 24-pin cables and attached them to the old pc. Wonder that...the old didn't turn on either :P
    - so I reconnected the cables back to the asrock
    - I tried to turn on power from the power switch on the case. NOTHING. It doesn't even tries to start
    - so I tried from the power button on the mobo. NOTHING
    - I thought it was the PSU, for any reason died...
    - so I got a third pc I had in my home, connected it to the other pc and it powered on with no problem. so the PSU should be working

now my asrock is off the case (Fractal Design R4), with just the atx cables attached, ONE single SATA, and the only RAM I have (it's just one stick of 8gb).

What I tried
    - tried to put the ram in any other slots (there are 4 of them)...nothing changed
    - disconnected any SATA (I have 6 drives)...nothing changed
    - tried attaching power soft switch from other cases...nothing changed
    - tried WITHOUTH attaching any power soft switch...nothing changed
    - tried pressing clear cmos...nothing changed

the switch on the PSU is turned "on", if any has this doubt...

please HELP! How come something is fried? Nothing weird has been done!
    Thanks a lot
    supergiu

Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 not powering up after some (5?) successfull boots

Try to reset the PSU by a method suggested by Seasonic.

With the PSU connected to the PC, and connected to AC power, very quickly turn the power switch on the PSU on and off about ten times. Just keep switching the switch to on - off, on - off, without pausing in between, and finishing with it off.

Then set the switch to on, wait about ten seconds and try to start the PC.

It is also possible the PSU is broken. A new unit but it failed shortly after you started using it.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Try to reset the PSU by a method suggested by Seasonic.

With the PSU connected to the PC, and connected to AC power, very quickly turn the power switch on the PSU on and off about ten times. Just keep switching the switch to on - off, on - off, without pausing in between, and finishing with it off.

Then set the switch to on, wait about ten seconds and try to start the PC.

It is also possible the PSU is broken. A new unit but it failed shortly after you started using it.
      Hi parsec, thank you for your response.
      I tried what you did, but nothing changed. What I observed with a Watt meter attached to the plug wall was that, without touching anything, with cord plugged, PSU set to ON, the watt oscillates between 0 and 1W. I remember when I could successfully turn on my computer that it was quite constant dissipating around 3W.
      However by doing the procedure you suggested nothing changed, either pressing the 'power' button on the mobo or using the power on soft switch on the case.

I thus tried this procedure to see if the PSU is turning on --> Overclockers Hardware - Overclockers Hardware - How To: Test PSU Voltages
      and well...it definitively IS turning on.
      I didn't check with a multimeter for the voltages because I am afraid of taking an electronic shock...you know...I'm kinda noob here :(

Anything I can check with the multimeter ON the mobo to see if everything is ok?

Thanks for any other tip you may provide
      Supergiu

Comment

I also tried to remove battery for more than one hour, I thought it could be something dirty with the CMOS. Nothing...no power
        I also tried changing battery with another one from a PC that boots up. No power whatsoever

:(

Comment

I tried removing and then putting back the cpu - no signal of life in any case
          What else can I do?
          :(

Comment

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. How about trying the PSU from that third PC you have in the ASR board PC?

I'm considering what would happen to a PSU if the 24 and 8 pin cables are connected to another PC, but the other power cables are still connected to the Z87 PC... not sure what happens.

When power is removed from a board by turning off the PSU, removing the PSU, etc, the board is then in a different state then if it was powered up and then just shutdown via Windows.

One thing you can check on the Z87 board, have the PSU switch off and connected to AC power. Have the network cable connected to its jack on the I/O panel. The network jack has LEDs on it if you look closely, yellow or green. Turn the PSU on, and after a few seconds the LEDs by the network jack should come on. I check that any time after doing something to the PC, to be sure power is getting to the board, since the board's power LED won't come on until the PC is started.

Be sure to check the cables from the case's power switch to the board, after all the cable swapping that you've done, easy to move them around.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              Sorry to hear you are still having problems. How about trying the PSU from that third PC you have in the ASR board PC?

I'm considering what would happen to a PSU if the 24 and 8 pin cables are connected to another PC, but the other power cables are still connected to the Z87 PC... not sure what happens.

When power is removed from a board by turning off the PSU, removing the PSU, etc, the board is then in a different state then if it was powered up and then just shutdown via Windows.

One thing you can check on the Z87 board, have the PSU switch off and connected to AC power. Have the network cable connected to its jack on the I/O panel. The network jack has LEDs on it if you look closely, yellow or green. Turn the PSU on, and after a few seconds the LEDs by the network jack should come on. I check that any time after doing something to the PC, to be sure power is getting to the board, since the board's power LED won't come on until the PC is started.

Be sure to check the cables from the case's power switch to the board, after all the cable swapping that you've done, easy to move them around.
              Hi parsec,
              thanks for your support, I really appreciate it.
              As for your ideas:
              1. I think I cannot use that one because the other PSU has a 24-pin + a 4-pin connector. Not sure but...what happens if I connect the 4-pin to the mobo 8-pin plug?
                • although, to be 100% it's not a PSU issue, I'm asking a friend of mine with a suitable PSU with a 8-pin...maybe he can lend it to me during weekend

2. that's exactly what happened: 24-pin only connected to a different motherboard, 8-pin disconnected from the Z87, other power cables (SATA) connected to Z87. No GPU. That's because the other mobo was a VERY old ATX motherboard (Pentium-2 old Asus P2B). Do you think this could have been the cause of the problems?
              3. Your NIC test was...damn...failed :( I did as you suggested, but no leds blink when I turn on PSU, neither after seconds (I waited one minute)
              4. Cables have been checked twice...I discovered I inverted ground with positive; now it's all ok but...nothing turns on

I find courage inside myself and tested the output voltages with the paperclip tip. The PSU is 100% sending correct voltages on both 24-pin and 8-pin connectors.

Would you suggest me to send motherboard to repair or do anything else to check the state of it?
              Thanks a lot!
              Last edited by supergiu; 01-28-2014, 04:59 PM.

Comment

A four pin CPU power cable will work fine, you don't need an eight pin cable. Just check the manual for the correct position of a four pin CPU cable in the eight pin connector.

The NIC LEDs not coming on is not a good sign IMO. They should come on after a few seconds, I have a Z87 EX 6.

I can't be certain, but it just may be a bad mother board. Not sure why the power cables connected to the SATA devices would damage a board. OTOH, connecting the two main PSU cables to the other PC created different ground paths, which are shared inside the PSU. I still don't get how that would damage a board, but that does not make it impossible. Your check of the power usage by the PSU before and after the problem also suggests a board problem.

How about disconnecting the power cables from all the drives, and see if the PC will POST or let you get into the BIOS?

Otherwise it sounds like a board problem.

Comment

I'm sorry to reply to an old thread, but I've just received the answer from my local dealer after managing this issue as an RMA.
                  Apparently there are some bent pins which determines the warranty to be completely invalid; they suggest me a new purchase.

Is there any way I can escalate this answer to Asrock Europe, or send directly to Asrock for inspection/RMA or even repair?
                  I have not found any contact / reference for Europe, just US. I live in Italy.

Thanks in advance
                  Supergiu

Comment

Working...
                  X