ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77

Thinking of purchasing this MB, anyone care to comment on their experience with it? Especially intersted about comparison to Extreme 4.

Thanks

Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77

THIS side by side review by Sin is why I chose the Extreme6 over the Extreme4.

While I don't OC anymore, it's still all about power.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Just seen the reply, thanks.

I'm not in to OC any more either, is a matter of features and reliability and I have an MSI board that is starting to reject booting, so this is a good option for my existing CPU/GPU.
      I'm going to order one tonight and if it works out will order another in a few weeks.

I figure I will skip the 1150 CPU.

BG

Comment

Yea, Haswell doesn't offer me anything much either so I'm figuring on waiting for DDR4 to trickle down to the desktop and take a look-see then.

That and the WAF is ever present and foreboding.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

If you won't OC at all, the EX 4 board will be fine.

Of course, I have two of the EX 4 boards with their "terrible, garbage, train wreck" VRM chips (to quote those that really don't know better) and I have CPUs in both boards at 4.5GHz just fine. But would I try any extreme OCing with this board? Of course not.

I also recognize that the Z77 EX 4 is a budget priced board. No it's not a mid-range board IMO, any board under $200 is a budget board. Frankly, I don't understand how PC mother boards can be sold so cheap considering what parts and their construction requires.

Also, a board's build quality is only one aspect of its overall quality. I've never had problems with the BIOS on both of my boards, which is far more than can be said about another manufacture, that has many threads in another TTown forum regarding BIOS issues. Very basic things like BIOS settings being lost or reset. How does that even happen anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            "terrible, garbage, train wreck" VRM chips (to quote those that really don't know better)
            That wasn't directed at you personally here was it?

Comment

[QUOTE=parsec;476318]If you won't OC at all, the EX 4 board will be fine.

I decided on the EX 6 for the SATA /USB features. Who knows and its only a beer or 2 difference, nothing compared to what I just spent on my daughters 30th Birthday

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                That wasn't directed at you personally here was it?
                Oh no, not at all. Another forum, not TTown, and not in response to any post by me. Paraphrasing comments I've seen. But thanks for asking!

Just aggravates me that some people take information posted by one person in good faith and without exaggerated judgements, and in their need to be as smart as that person then make derogatory comments about things they really don't understand.

The observations about the VRM chips in that review were referred to by others as "terrible, garbage, train wreck" VRM chips. The author of the review never used terms like that at all.

I'm not disputing the information in that review, facts are facts, and I am not happy about the reality of the VRM design too. But go back a few years and the "best" boards one could buy used the same VRM chips that are being called garbage by a few people. They make it sound like the Z77 Ex 4 boards will burn up, fail, or explode due to the VRM chips. Why do I care...

Comment

Working...
                X