Opinions bout ma werk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions bout ma werk...

Alright, some of you know that i do photoshop stuff, Very few of you know anything about my stuff. This is where you get to find out and i get some much needed input. These two pictures are the same project using two different color schemes that i cant decide between. Your mission should you choose to accept it is to critique my work from both a designer POV and a Webiste Junkies POV (or only the one you are) I am mainly looking for positive criticism that will challenge me to do better.

Im looking for three things from you guys...
    1. What do you think? This is the bulk of what i want to know.
    2. Your experience w/graphic design on 1-10 scale. This may sound like if you honestly give yourself a 2 ill just skip you, but in reality im gonna take into account what everyone says because you all have opinions and taste. Im just looking at whether you are more a designer or a website junkie.
    3. Which color scheme do you like better? I will personally say im leaning to the red/grey over the blue/grey because the grey back brings out definition in the white graphing lines and the blue back makes it more fuzzy, but on the other hand the red centers your attention to the company subname rather that the company name where it should be.

A little background - THIS SITE IS NOT REAL. It is what i would call a future company should I decide to make one and do this hobby i have for clients on the internet (i already have a small basin of clients in the local area that are pleased with me) Which actually brings me to a fourth asking for of you...

4. What do you think of the names? One of my friends says he doesnt like biblical names for companies bc most of the time they impart that belief into their work too much even when a client may not want them to.

Alright your turn...

1. What do you think?
    Very nice Graphic design. I have seen better but REALLY good 9/10 :thumb:

2. Your experience w/graphic design on 1-10 scale.
    I can't do very good graphics but I fiddle with it a little bit 5/10 :thumb:

3. Which color scheme do you like better?
    I personally like the red better. I don't think it takes your eyes away from the main title too much, since the title itself is big. Red :thumb:

4. What do you think of the names?
    The name should be whatever you like. N/A

Comment

1. Nice Graphic, unique looking.

2. I've been working with photoshop since version 3.5 came out for windows and do some web and print design. 7/10 perhaps, no expert for sure.

3. I like the blue background with the name as it brings out more of the letter coloring, but I like the red text for the Active Style.

I would like to see a bit less of the background glow in the letters as it detracts from your WWW and the .COM. Makes it hard to distinquish. But that's just my style peeking out.

Also like the helix work.

4. I think what ever name has significance to you is what you should choose. The name doesn't turn me off for any reason , if that's what you want to know.

Comment

1. What do you think?
        Very nice, looks really good :). I have to admit I'm a bit partial to grid backgrounds :).

2. Your experience w/graphic design on 1-10 scale.
        Umm... 8? I don't know really... I'm not working as a Graphic Designer and I haven't been into it for twenty years, but apparently (I'm quoting my Graphic Design teacher here), I have an "excellent eye and creative mind for graphic design".

http://gbd.ath.cx is my design website if you want to have a look at what I can actually do...

3. Which color scheme do you like better?
        The red "Active Style" looks better IMO, but I like the blue fading background in the second image - maybe combine them :). And I don't know whether you're using the coming soon thing or not, but it sorta drags attention away, plus it's just another font (which is never a good thing).

4. What do you think of the names?

It is really just personal preference... I picked the name Jericho for a web site... religious names are cool :).

Comment

While I personally design very little, my wife works for an ad company and I watch her create stuff in Corel and Photoshop all of the time, so on familiarity, I'd say a 5.

Not everybody links to web sites, sometimes they have to type in the URL. Not very many people will spell the company name correctly the first try. Being an uncommon name will cause some people to mis-recall it. When recommending your site some will say "It's Jerhemia, or Ezikial, or something like that (good spelling examples too!).

I prefer the white. I think it fits the overall color scheme better. Also perhaps the addition of some kind of line, small graphic, motion blur; something to make "active" appear to be in action.

There is also quite a contrast between the helix on the left and right. A transition might cannote action. The brighter whites(greys?) of the helix on the left makes it appear to be more to the foreground than the one on the right. Like the gradient shadow doesn't hit it.

Quite a nice design concept overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
            I have to admit I'm a bit partial to grid backgrounds :).
            Me Too!

Ok, i am not by any means trying to close this thread with an "answer recieved" post. I still want your opinions!

But to those of you that have already given their opinion, this is what i think im gonna do. Try Blue Back with Red Active Style, remove the glow from www and .com to give it more definition, try color balancing the hex in the center, remove coming soon, try making the active more active, and keep the name. I actually was gonna keep the name no matter what any of you said, i just wanted to hear opinions on it so that i know whats gonna happen when and if the company/site goes up. I can write a three page essay in my sleep on how much the word nehemiah means and relates to me. I love the book, one of my top 5 fav in the bible.

And dont get me wrong guys, im not doing these changes for good based on your opinions, but it would not do justice to your opinions to try and see it in my head before deciding, besides it gives me more time in photoshop and more experience. Im gonna post some of these ideas in action when i get a chance, but in the end im gonna decide where i want to take the whole thing and ill let ya'll know.

and heres what it looked like before beefy gave me some advise via ICQ and i liked the changes...

Comment

1/ I like the last one but the red "active style" from the first is just that touch more eye grabbin' IMO. ;)

2/ I have several programs that I play around with over the last couple of years but PaintShop Pro7 would be the top of mine. :)

3/ (see answer 1) :D

4/ The names are really up to you and how unique (damn that's the 2nd time now today) you would like it. :thumb:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Well JediAgent made a nice graphic for the site I am working on ATM. Check it out (as with the rest of the site ;). www.swg-holocron.com.

PS. I like that third image (the active style setup :))

Comment

Working...
                X