Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-Z87X-UD5H USB and On/Off Charge (yet again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z87X-UD5H USB and On/Off Charge (yet again)

Does anyone have any recent information regarding the USB issues reported by owners of this board? The issues I've had are similar to many I've read about from other users; I'll summarize them here. My system config is in my signature, and I've attached a .pdf that illustrates my mobo connectivity.

1) USB keyboard unavailability at POST.

After a few days of normal use, including standard system shutdowns/startups, the keyboard will suddenly not be available during boot, and won't become active until Windows loads.

The 1st time this happened, I ran through all the troubleshooting suggestions I could find online: reinstall drivers; reconfigure BIOS (disable xHCI, reflash, etc...); reset CMOS by removing battery; disconnect/reconnect all int/ext USB devices.... Everything except reinstall Windows, because I'm stubborn and don't believe one should have to reinstall an entire O/S to remedy something that shouldn't be an issue to begin with.

I wasn't able to identify a single "trick" that worked, but eventually my keyboard was available again, and things ran well for several more days. Then, after a typical morning power-up, the keyboard was again not available during POST.

In researching the problem, I discovered a forum thread that provided some good information regarding which USB controllers handle the various ports/headers on this board. The info is illustrated in the .pdf file, and I can see where some conflicts could potentially occur. For example, I can understand (sort of) that having a dual-port USB keyboard sharing a hub with an internal card reader/4-port USB hub could pose problems, especially when several devices are connected. However, I don't have anything plugged in to the 4-port hub when the problem occurs.

FWIW, reverting to a PS/2 keyboard is simply an unacceptable workaround, and I was surprised to see this suggested by forum contributors whose reputations indicate they know their stuff and wouldn't settle for a cop-out like that themselves. :-)

2) On/Off Charge 2 just doesn't work as advertised - never has, at least for me.

I wired my rig up with a 5.25" front panel card reader/4-port USB 3.0 hub plugged in to the mobo's On/Off Charge header. When I plug an Apple device into one of the 4 ports, I get the Windows "connect" tone and can access the device via O/S or iTunes. The device will charge while the system is powered on, but not after it goes to sleep or is shut down. Also, the On/Off Charge App never indicates I plugged anything in; i.e., the App GUI just shows "No device" and neither the "Fast Charge" nor the "Fast Charge/No Sync" options are selectable.

After researching number 1) above, I understood that the 2 rear panel "upper" USB ports share a Renesas hub with that header. (My keyboard uses both of those rear panel ports.) I wondered if providing constant power to all the additional front panel ports connected to that header might just not be possible, so I disconnected the 5.25" panel and connected the 3.5" 2-port USB 3.0/2.0 front panel that Gigabyte includes with the mobo.

Again, Windows acknowledged (via "connect" tone) I had plugged something in to one of the ports, and the device showed it was receiving charge. And although the App GUI still showed "No Device," I could now select the "Fast Charge" option. (But not "Fast Charge / No Sync.) I tried with an iPad, and with iPhones 4S and 5, and it always said "No device." And again, the devices would charge while the system was powered on, but not in sleep or power-off. And yes, I've updated to the latest versions of drivers/BIOS/AppCenter/On-Off Charge 2.

Is the front panel Gigabyte supplies with the mobo wired differently than a standard 19-pin USB header cable, to provide the On/Off Charge feature? If it is, there's nothing in the manual, or their marketing, to indicate that On/Off Charge won't work with anything other than their supplied 2-port panel.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I understand these issues may not be entirely with the board, but with Windows 8 and its driver implementation. It's just frustrating when something simple that has worked for decades (keyboard availability at POST) starts failing intermittently, and when something proprietary (On/Off Charge 2) doesn't work as advertised.

Thanks for reading this long-winded first post. Appreciate any input!
    - Phil
    Mobo USB Config w Periphs.pdf

Re: GA-Z87X-UD5H USB and On/Off Charge (yet again)

I haven't had any USB problems, specifically with my Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse that use the RF dongle plugged into USB.....nor do I have any problems with my generic keyboard or mouse. All of these work fine for me while booting, the only exception being is booting into a linux environment (recovery disks, etc) where I have no luck at all.

I can only suggest that you contact Gigabyte support and tell them which keyboard you have, they should be able to fix you up.

As to On/Off charge, I don't use it.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

1. Sorry .... put a couple of links here but then reviewed and saw it was Win8.1 you're using, not 8.0.

2. Seeings it won't hurt anything, connect a SATA power plug to the ATX4P connector and see if you have the issues with On/Off Charge. The closeup pics I can find of this port appear to also have traces leading to the caps at the On/Off Charge port F_USB30_1. And depending where ATX4P might or might not supply its auxiliary PCIe power, and what else is hung off the PCIe lanes as far as USB controllers go, it may help the boot time keyboard recognition also.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

And if you have the time and patience there's an abundance of tech related articles and info offered at the below MSDN Blog.

MSDN Blogs > Microsoft Windows USB Core Team Blog
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Boondocks & wardog, many thanks for reading and for your input. I'll definitely review the MSDN site and play around over the weekend. This is my first build, and I've been pleasantly surprised these two issues have been my only real headaches. I'll post any findings that may be of use to others.

Comment

Well, to keep it short, I downloaded the F9a BIOS and that appears to have solved the keyboard issue so far. It's been available during boot since Saturday, with several shutdowns/startups since. F9a provides a new, separate line item for "Enable USB 3.0 Support" which I didn't see in previous versions; with it enabled, the problem hasn't resurfaced yet. (F9a also enabled the full HD UEFI GUI, which I'd not been able to get running, but that was a low priority since I could still access all the settings...)
            On/Off Charge still doesn't work, but I think it must be an issue with trying to power all 4 USB 3.0 ports in the expansion bay via the one onboard header. The bay uses its own card to provide a hub the 4 ports share, so that may be the problem.

Comment

Working...
            X