problems with dual boot; xp & 98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with dual boot; xp & 98

I have 2 harddrives in one computer. the 40 gig has 4 partitons with xp on C:

the 30 gig has 3 partitions with 98 on C: and xp on D:

the 40 gig harddrive with xp by itself runs fine.
    the 30 gig harddrive with dual boot (and the 40 gig disconnected) loads 98 fine but when xp loads, there are no user accounts displayed for me to click on.

I have to reboot in debugging mode in order for xp to load properly.

does anyone else have issues with xp and dual boot; if so what are your problems and how have you resolved them.

:afro:

For the purpose of clearing things up for those who may have some real input;

Is that XP Home, or Pro?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Here's a link to MS site that lists the recommended proceedure for setting up dual boot with 98 and xp. Perhaps you can spot where your proceedure was different and led to problems.

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Comment

I guess the point I was trying to get at - though I claim no amount of authority on the XP OS;

Isn't it true that Windows XP Home Edition cannot be run on 2 different partitions/drives on the same PC - While XP Pro can be used in parralel installations????

Confirmation, anyone?
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

You maybe right there Mr.C. :?:

lexsis if you want to keep the setup you have then I'd suggest that you use a boot loader like System Commander which will hide the other os partitions from the one that you want to use. You should be able to then repair your XP installs. ;)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

The knowlegebase article I lined to earlier makes no distinction between home and pro in the instructions.

Comment

I've not heard of any problems with the Home version, but I've not used it so can't say from experience. I can, however, say that I have had multiple hard drives installed with bootable systems on their respective C:\ drives and have had no problems under the Professional version of WinXP.
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

here's what I did;

I took out the 40 gig harddrive and put in a blank (formated & unpartitioned) 8gig harddrive and now the dual boot with 98' and xp home works fine.

but still I wonder why it wont work with the other harddrive with xp home installed on it.

I was on the phone with MS support for over an hour and they couldnt figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                  For the purpose of clearing things up for those who may have some real input;

Is that XP Home, or Pro?

sorry, xp home. :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by bigjackusa
                    The knowlegebase article I lined to earlier makes no distinction between home and pro in the instructions.
                    That's true, it also makes no reference to installations of any OS twice on a system.
                    I was searching the MSKB last weekend regarding a question a forum member posted when I stumbled across a KB article referring to the Home vs Pro issue I mentioned. (at this time I am unable to duplicate this experience - sorry)

Near the bottom of the page you linked is a link to http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...t/mltiboot.asp

Is it possible that the issue of requiring seperate computer names for each installation is a factor here:?:

again, I claim no authority --- just trying to contribute with some constructive surfing

Comment

Originally posted by lexsis
                      does anyone else have issues with xp and dual boot; if so what are your problems and how have you resolved them.

:afro:
                      : party ha ...HAHAHA. I could write a small novel on how many issues have had over the last two days.However,my installation is a bit different from the norm though.....

Comment

Working...
                      X