Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pc Won't Shutdown or Sleep

Hey guys, thanks for reading.

I have a problem with my new build and have had it since day one. (Feb 15th)
    It simply won't shutdown and I have no idea why, shutting the Pc down results in it turning off for around three seconds before it boots back up, same thing for putting it to sleep.

However, if I shut it down, boot into Bios and then click the power button, the Pc will stay off. Another way to shut it down is to turn the PSU off and on after shutting it down.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've seen people suggest faulty PSU cables, but I can see no physical fault with them. I've also seen two other people in all the searches I've made with the same motherboard and problem, but did not post a solution, so I assume it's the motherboard that's the issue.

Nothing has worked so far, here is a list of what I have tried.

Reset the bios via default settings, taking out battery and reset button on motherboard.
    Tried all motherboard buttons for resetting Bios.
    Unplugged all PSU cables, and replugged.

Tried unplugging all external devices.
    Went though whole bios looking for something that could be restarting the system.

Reinstalled Operating System.

I've been building and repairing Pc's for years as a hobby, and I've never come across something like this before. I assume it's a faulty motherboard, but I want to test everything before requesting a return, as I use this Pc for work and going without it for more than a couple of days is going to seriously halt my work.

-PC Specs-
    Mobo: AsRock Z87 Extreme4
    CPU: i7 4770k
    GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
    SSD: Samsung 840 Evo
    Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHZ
    PSU: Corsair CX600M
    Audio: Asus Xonar DGX
    Case: Fractal Define R4

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Pc Won't Shutdown or Sleep

I'VE GOD DAMN FIXED IT!

For anyone else wanting to know, it was that stupid "Hybrid Shutdown" thanks to Windows 8.1 that was starting the Pc back up. I'd never even heard of it until now.

You can find the article to fix this here.
    http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-8-restart-and-shutdown-problems-by-disabling-hybrid-shutdown-feature/

Comment

A quick list of thing to look at:

Dehumidifier settings
      Wiring from case to the System Panel Header
      Any Wake options in the BIOS

Two of those may or may not be available as options in A-Tuning also. I don't have this board so can but guess if they're in there or not.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Oopps. Copy the FIXED IT. Isn't 8.1 wonderful? NOT.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I use Windows 8.1 with an ASRock Z87 EX 6 board, and I have never had it restart on its own after a shutdown. So your issue is not a given with Windows 8.1.

I noticed you have a Samsung EVO SSD? Do you have the Magician 4.3 software installed?

If so, that software is known to wake PCs from Sleep (I have personally experienced this), and apparently start up a PC from a shutdown state. That is one bug among others in the Magician 4.3 software. The shutdown-start up could be related to the Deep Sleep setting in the UEFI. Do you still have the immediate wake from Sleep issue? Another PC I have with Windows 8.1 that does not have the Magician 4.3 software installed, Sleeps fine and has never had spontaneous start ups when it is shut down.

Windows 8 and 8.1 are fine. 8-haters focus on the Metro GUI, which is bypassed in Win 8 with one click, and not even shown in 8.1 unless you use it. It has new features like Fast Startup that is having some issues working with a few things. Fast Startup can be easily disabled in Windows 8 itself, just like Hibernate or any number of other Windows features.

Whose responsibility is it to test and insure that a new version of a very specific software utility is compatible with a standard OS, the creator of that software, or the OS creator?

Windows in general is a generic OS, and is configured for the non-PC enthusiast. Part of every new Windows installation is the time I spend configuring it differently from many default settings. Windows 8 is new and as with any new version has growing pains. We will all live.

Comment

I'm not a 8-hater. I'm waiting for it to mature in the wild some. Even today there are drivers that haven't been sorted.

Promise, I'll not repost "Isn't 8.1 wonderful? NOT." It was only my reference for a learning curve that is evident with any new Windows release, never mind one as shiny as 8/8.1.

Comment

I figured you'd say something after my post, you have nothing to worry about for several reasons:

I never called you an 8-hater.

You have every right to your opinion, and mine or whomever's differing opinion does not make yours wrong, invalid, or mine right.

Your point about Win 8 maturing in the wild is well taken, you should have seen it at its release, drivers, what drivers? Microsoft did not have a list of compatible drivers ready before Win 8 was released, in contrast to what they have done in the past. MS did have a... page, forum, whatever, where Win 8 users were encouraged to post their experiences with drivers and Win 8, either good or bad. Weird...

The only real reason I use Win 8 is because of its UEFI booting friendliness (my weird hobby as you know) and just to go against the grain of the 8-haters.

You should feel free to post things like, "Windows 8 is the worst, and anyone that uses it is a moronic PC noob deluxe", and not worry about it, besides what others might think about you in general...

Also, these problems are not bugs, they are learning experiences...

Comment

sigh. That's just it. I don't have an opinion on 8. You know my thoughts as we've spent a lot of time discussing it. I just don't/didn't want it out there that I'm an 8-hater and I felt your post neared pinning me as such.

Quite the contrary. Surprise Surprise. I have two OEMs of 8.1 Pro x64 here waiting for installation. Gotta love it when MS sets discounted pricing, and the reasons they did so in the first place. No. I'm in a hold pattern with installing them, patiently waiting.

Comment

Well what do you know, a Win 8 owner, if not a user.

I bought mine (two) when it was $40 each from MS for Win 8 Pro X64... did you think I'd pay full price for that lousy OS...

You make a good point about my implication about you, I'll remember that. I just did it to myself, FWIW...

Comment

Working...
                  X