ASRock Z87 Pro4 Ram Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z87 Pro4 Ram Issue

New to the board (I am an old MaxPC, Anandtech, Delphi, etc. board user and look forward to a new crowd. My immersion in geekdom and tech has waned due to work and family, but I still enjoy digging into hardware (MS, not so much). I sent a message to ASRock's tech support 3/29, but no response yet.

I've seen this issue before here:

as well as in some searches at Tom's and other sites. Here are the specs:

ASRock Z87 Pro4 Mobo (BIOS 1.90)
    i5-4570 (disclosure: 1st Intel build)
    2x4GB GSkill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (GSkill site says it works in this board)
    Corsair CX 750M
    Zalman CNPS9500AT
    MSI 7870 Video
    Seagate HDD
    Win 7 64bit
    (in my old Antec 1030 case. I love that thing)

First issue; when I first set it up, I received four beeps and "The following channel memory did not pass the CPU memory test. Please remove the meory then plug again. Channel A." I could get to the BIOS screens, but only to Windows repair/restore screen, and those didn't work (so no memtest). Only 4GB of memory registered, no dual channel

I've removed everything and reseated all. I have put the RAM sticks in every possible configuration, swapping sticks in positions.

Fair disclosure: This is an upgrade from an AMD board and proc. I was hoping to cheat the system and install this, knowing the AMD drivers wouldn't work with the Intel hardware. I'd hoped to get it up to the point where I could clean off the AMD drivers and install the Intel drivers. However, I have seem the above error with those doing clean builds, so go figure. I have HDD's sitting around, and failing my ability to cheat, I'll throw one in and reload Win 7.

I've cleared the CMOS, no luck. Last night I pulled the battery for 30 sec and replaced. Today, I did the RAM swapping game, and got the error beeps and 8GB RAM recognized, single channel.

If you guys (that includes gals) don't have a solution/ideas, I'll try the clean HDD and see what I can do. Thank god I hoard parts and have multiple systems.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
    Last edited by Armygrognard; 04-02-2014, 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: ASRock Z87 Pro4 Ram Issue

You are a glutton for punishment if you think you can use an AMD platform Windows installation on any Intel platform, even worse the newest Intel platform!! Given your recent return to the PC hardware world, and your aversion to fooling with MS products, you are not doing yourself any favors. I wouldn't think of trying that, why do people hate installing Windows, it's really not that bad.

Next your memory. The number of G.SKILL "RL" memory models in the Memory Support List for you board is exactly zero. G.SKILL states it is compatible? We've seen the contrary over and over again. You can't use just any memory with the latest hardware, the memory controller is on the CPU, and it is nothing like the DDR2 days. If your stock of memory is not very old, start trying different models. But if it doesn't work, and it is not in the support list, you're on your own. BTW, use DIMM slots A2 and B2 when using two DIMMs for the best compatibility with the board.

Your memory issue is not solved IMO, and will be back to haunt you. The commonality between your old AMD board and the new Intel board is again exactly zero. You could try going into Windows safe mode and removing every AMD driver you can find, but if it was only that easy.

Comment

Your GSkill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL memory goes back to 2010 and older memory kits probably will give you problems.
      G.Skill states that your memory is compatible with the following ASRock sockets:
      • 890FX/870, 890GX/880G, 990FX/990X/970, A55 for Socket FM1, A75 for Socket FM1, A75/A55 for Socket FM2+,
      • A85X for Socket FM2, B85, H77, H77/Q77/Q75/B75 x2 DIMM Slots, H87, H87/Q87/Q85/B85/H81 x2 DIMM Slots,
      • P55, P67, Q77/Q75/B75. Q87, Z68, Z77/Z75, Z77/Z75 x2 DIMM Slots, Z87, Z87 x2 DIMM Slots

and the following ASRock Z87 motherboards:
      • Fatal1ty Z87 Killer, Fatal1ty Z87 Professional,
      • Z87 Extreme3, Z87 Extreme4, Z87 Extreme4/TB4,
      • Z87 Extreme6, Z87 Extreme6/ac,
      • Z87 Extreme9, Z87 Extreme9/ac,
      • Z87 OC Formula, Z87 OC Formula/ac,
      • Z87 Pro3, Z87 Pro4,
      • Z87iCafe4, Z87M Extreme4, Z87M OC Formula, Z87M Pro4

I believe in the memory vendor's compatibility lists but this list is too good to be true.
      My advice: sell your memory and buy a newer Haswell memory kit that is compatible with your board.

Memtest86+ can be run from a bootable usb, floppy or cd/dvd even if you don't have any other drives installed..

Doing a clean win7 install is easy, the hard part it reinstalling all of the other programs that you had before.
      I have many programs from GiveAwayOfTheDay and BitsDuJour that can't be easily reinstalled.

Sysprep can be used to copy or transfer your current boot partition to a new bootable disk and partition, but it is meant to transfer your the boot partition to a similar setup. This does not mean that every program on your boot partition will automatically work in the new system. You will need to activate windows in the new system.

The following information should help:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...code-12-a.html <-- a recent TweakTown thread: AMD motherboard to a Gigabyte GA-Z87XM-DH3 motherboard

Web search using: sysprep

Youtube videos, such as: How to sysprep a computer

Web search using: move windows programs and settings

How does Windows Easy Transfer make setting up a computer easier?

Watch this video to learn how to transfer files and settings from another PC. (3:58)
      Video: Transferring files and settings from another PC - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

Have fun
      Last edited by profJim; 04-03-2014, 07:40 AM. Reason: typo
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

That reads like you might also consider pulling the CPU and inspecting the "pins' in the socket. ie:fail in dual, ok(??) in single

Also, MemTest86+ <-: Runs from a CD, DVD, or thumb drive. Not that I think it'll be much help until you determine and correct for the single/dual error.

Until then I'll stay/keep mum concerning memory compatibility.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I did the RAM swapping game, and got the error beeps and 8GB RAM recognized, single channel.
          We have no idea which memory slots were used where 8GB was recognized in single channel mode.

It might be easier to test one memory module at a time in each of the memory slots using Memtest86+ test #5 for 3 loops to see if there is a bad module or memory slot.

To run test #5 press the following keys after Memtest86+ starts:
          1. c
          2. 1
          3. 3
          4. 5
          5. ENTER
          6. 0 (zero)
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

For 8GB, the mem slots used were B1 and B2. I was laying in bed, thinking I'd forgotten that. I had.

As for the Win 7 install, you have to understand my internet. I am in the Texas hill country, outside a small town, and probably the last house that could get Uverse. I was on 1Mbps DSL, slower that a former member of the USSR. Then U verse was offered at 3Mbps. That would be tolerable after the DSL (which was so bad that I also installed Exede Satellite with 7.5GB download cap, stable if slow). The U verse, quite literally, cuts out every 5-10 minutes, with a 45-300 second reset. I'm on first-name basis with all the repair guys. So, downloading patches and updates while trying to re-install is NOT fun. Not to mention the games my son's play.

Therefore I'd hoped to cheat the PC gods and slip one by.

As for AMD, please don't misunderstand, I am no fan boy. Just a cheap-ass. For my needs, its been best bang for the buck. I finally decided to try Intel.

I re-looked the GSkill RAM list, and yeah, probably too good to be true. Since I have HDD's sitting around, I'll clear one our and install that and see what happens. I will also re-examine the pins. I'll be disappointed if that's the case, as I never have had an issue with the dozen or so AMD procs I've installed/re-installed. Then I'll spend the money as needed for RAM. Being a hoarder, I'll likely save the GSkill and re-use on some other Frankenstein build.

In the meantime, I'll look around for Haswell kits as recommended, and match against what ASRock recommends.

I apologize if I have not responded to each post completely. Rest assured, I have read each post and will re-read for clarity. I used to live and breath this stuff, and do miss it (ran out of free time). I blame the Army and my children (!) but I'm done with one and the kids are growing up. Of course, this civilian job stuff is for the birds. As Ray Stantz said, "I've worked in the private sector. They expect results!"

Thanks for the quick responses, and I'll let you know the results, out of courtesy and for entertainment purposes.

Haswell kit is big bucks. Methinks I was pranked. I see Gskill on the list at ASRock and here at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231416 Adequate?
            Last edited by Armygrognard; 04-03-2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

A Haswell memory kit is big bucks? Compared to what? Price some DDR2 memory if you want a surprise. Actually, if your hoarding of parts includes DDR2 and/or DDR memory (useless except on old, no longer sold boards) you can sell in on eBay for more than you paid for it.

That memory should be fine, the quad channel/DIMM kit of the same model is listed in the compatibility list, so it should work fine. Adequate, why not? You don't need 2xxx speed memory for the PC to work just fine, the return on investment on faster memory is very low.

Now 'dawg, you know I suggest memory from the compatibility list because it is a sure thing. We all can't be independently wealthy enough like you are to have an unlimited supply of memory that we can dip into when necessary.

The more I think about it, the more I believe the Samsung "Green" memory proves that other memory manufactures configure memory in such a way that it won't work with all boards and CPUs.

Sorry Army, can't buy the Samsung memory anymore. It worked in virtually any system you could put it into with your eyes closed.

Comment

Independently wealthy? Heh. You must, no do, have me confused with some other person. Though, work starts back up in two or three weeks. Pulled an all-nighter after the Wife got plum flustered in doing our taxes and at 12:30 this morn flung the whole f'ing mess in my lap. Five and a half hrs later they're finally finished. The sun ain't awful far from peeking over the horizon so I'm thinking I'll just stay up. Maybe cue up Grumpy Old Men off the server. Seems fitting.

My money's still on his pulling the processor, inspecting the sockets pins/contacts, and re-seating the processor. That is, so long as he doesn't find any askew. Hoping he comes back and has good news to report after re-seating the proc anyways.
                #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Damn that Mika Brzezinski is a hot little minx.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                    Independently wealthy? Heh. You must, no do, have me confused with some other person. Though, work starts back up in two or three weeks. Pulled an all-nighter after the Wife got plum flustered in doing our taxes and at 12:30 this morn flung the whole f'ing mess in my lap. Five and a half hrs later they're finally finished. The sun ain't awful far from peeking over the horizon so I'm thinking I'll just stay up. Maybe cue up Grumpy Old Men off the server. Seems fitting.

My money's still on his pulling the processor, inspecting the sockets pins/contacts, and re-seating the processor. That is, so long as he doesn't find any askew. Hoping he comes back and has good news to report after re-seating the proc anyways.
                    I'll keep you guys in the loop. I never liked those fly-by-night posters who never check back in.

I re-examined it last night and didn't see any amiss. I did get an email from Asrock asking me to install the 2.0 BIOS, so I'll try that tonight or tomorrow.

I searched Haswell kits at Newegg, and there were only two, and they were pricey. Like nowhere near $100 for 2x4GB pricey, hence my comments. I'll let you guys fight the rest out. And, as a pack-rat, I may need to go through my old RAM and see what I have. I've never thrown it out, so I may have a mini goldmine.

Comment

Originally posted by Armygrognard View Post
                      I'll keep you guys in the loop. I never liked those fly-by-night posters who never check back in.

I re-examined it last night and didn't see any amiss. I did get an email from Asrock asking me to install the 2.0 BIOS, so I'll try that tonight or tomorrow.

I searched Haswell kits at Newegg, and there were only two, and they were pricey. Like nowhere near $100 for 2x4GB pricey, hence my comments. I'll let you guys fight the rest out. And, as a pack-rat, I may need to go through my old RAM and see what I have. I've never thrown it out, so I may have a mini goldmine.
                      DON'T do it that way. Use the memory compatibility list for your board, that list is loooooong. Newegg probably has half of them. The G.SKILL kit you listed is fine, you're done.

I beat on the Google servers, and it seems the best you'll do for an 8GB kit is ~$75 at Newegg. Welcome to our world.

Thanks for the reply, so many of my replies go unanswered, or I write a mini-novel and the guy comes back with, "Fixed, my Windows disk was scratched...". Just happened today.

Or here's one in response to someone else, just today:

All good Joe. But I couldn't remember doing that in 1994 when I built my last PC. Everything is going to plan. Famous last words? :)
                      Last edited by parsec; 04-04-2014, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Been exchanging emails with Asrock tech support. He determined, by virtue of neither stick working Channel A, that the motherboard was defective. So I'll exchange the board, and return the RAM for some F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 by GSkill, just to be safe. I have the 2.0 BIOS standing by on a stick, just in case.

Comment

Working...
                        X