Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAM not working on Z87 Extreme6 AC - Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM not working on Z87 Extreme6 AC - Any suggestions?

Hi,

Yesterday I took delivery of a ASRock Z87 Extreme6 AC with a 4770k. I built the system last night and I am very happy with it. There is however 1 problem. I have 2x 4gb Cruscial RAM (BLS4G3D1609DS1S00 - 4GB, Ballistix 240-pin DIMM , DDR3 PC3-12800 from Crucial.com) When I put either stick in B Dimms they work no problem. When I put either stick in A Dimms I get error 55.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be? It takes such a long time to put these together that to take it all apart again to send back is daunting to say the least.

Re: RAM not working on Z87 Extreme6 AC - Any suggestions?

Dimms?

What happens with the two installed into either DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1 ___ or ___ DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2 ?

You might also reset the BIOS too as that sometimes aids after the BIOS seemingly choking after memory moves/swaps between slots.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I had a bit of a worrying time getting my Extreme6 1150 regular motherboard without error 55. I am using 2x4gb of g.skill Ripjaws X DDR 2400 (PC3 19200) F3-2400c11D-8GXM. At first I thought I had bad memory, but if I remember:

I did have to tell it that it was 2400, and not 1600.
      I Left most other settings at 'auto'.

What I was using only the A2 and B2 slots (2nd and 4th slot from CPU). I tired booting up with only one stick at a time in each socket before trying both. Even then I think I had to switch them around sometimes. Once I booted up without error I used the USB boot of memtest+ for a couple cycles (successfully without errors). Since then its been a few weeks with lots of restarts and I haven't had any issues with memory errors.
      Early on I did clear the CMOS, but I think the above is what did it.
      Also be sure that the memory is fully seated into the dimm sockets. I think the first couple times I booted up they were not fully seated.

Overall it felt more like I was having to 'train', condition or otherwise 'break in' the MB and memory combo to work well together. Not something I would expect from modern electronics, but I don't have another way to explain it.

Edit: Corrected description to the actual memory slots (A2 and B2 for dual channel) used. NOT A1 and A2 (same channel, not dual channel)
      Last edited by tiggers97; 04-09-2014, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chavo View Post
        Hi,

Yesterday I took delivery of a ASRock Z87 Extreme6 AC with a 4770k. I built the system last night and I am very happy with it. There is however 1 problem. I have 2x 4gb Cruscial RAM (BLS4G3D1609DS1S00 - 4GB, Ballistix 240-pin DIMM , DDR3 PC3-12800 from Crucial.com) When I put either stick in B Dimms they work no problem. When I put either stick in A Dimms I get error 55.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be? It takes such a long time to put these together that to take it all apart again to send back is daunting to say the least.
        Your Crucial memory is not listed in your board's memory support list, or any Crucial memory, sorry to say. So it will be just luck if it works, and the usual result is memory not in the list will not work.

The correct way to use two DIMMs on your board is one in slot A2, and one in slot B2. Putting two DIMMs in either both A or B slots results in single channel operation, not dual channel.

Comment

Working...
        X