• Show
Clear All

• Asrock G41C-GS ddr3 memory problems

Good Day!

I have an Asrock G41C-GS motherboard + Q6600 Core2Quad

For upgrading my memory I have the following DDR3 2X4GB memory kits:
    • Kingston HyperX - KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G
    • Corsair XMS3 - CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

None of the above mentioned kits are booting. Screen remains black. Kits are not used in combination of course.

Any ideas??

Re: Asrock G41C-GS ddr3 memory problems

Does your board have a jumper on it to select between DDR2 and DDR3 memory? What type were you using previously? If DDR2, did you remove it?

What BIOS version are you using now? Did you clear the BIOS/CMOS after inserting the new memory? That is essential when using new memory.

Your board's specs state this regarding DDR3 memory: Supports DDR3 1333(OC)/1066/800

DDR3 memory at 1333 is considered an over clock of the memory. The default speed of the memory may be less, but that is unknown.

Part of your problem may be be matching memory to your older board. That is, recently available memory vs what was available when your board was first released, in late 2009 - early 2010. The memory support list (or QVL) is very limited in choices, particularly for 4GB DDR3 DIMMs, none at all are listed.

For example, this is from your board's specs: In order to maximize the system memory, please install two dual sided 4GB memory modules

The Kingston memory appears to be single sided. The Corsair memory info page does not provide that information.

Neither of the memory models you have are listed in the support list, so if they will work in your board is unknown. You cannot just use any memory you like in a board, that is a difference between DDR2 and DDR3 memory. The memory controller is much more picky about the construction and chips used in DDR3 DIMMs.

Comment

Previous memory was DDR2 and has been removed.

bios instaled is 1.40 and has been cleared.

Comment

Try to use this set of ram: CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 PC3-1333 or 1600MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT. I used the 1600mhz kit and it works just fine. The only drawback is that I cannot set the speed any higher than 1000. This is the actual limitation of this motherboard if you try to fit the maximum of memory that can be placed in there. It is also compatible with 1.40v of bios.

!Be careful though, obviously this choice is up to you. They have been reports that even this working kit (of Crucial) can cause some notorious blue-screens combined with this motherboard of Asrock G41C-GS.
        Last edited by CMR; 05-14-2014, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X