Z77 OC replacement fan source - chipset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 OC replacement fan source - chipset

I am looking to find and buy a replacement fan for the Z77 OC motherboard. The current fan while working is starting to make a bit of noise.

I have tried cleaning out the fan with compressed air, but due to the noise I figure the bearing has issues.

I was not able to search this forum for Z77 or fan, so if the answer is hidden in the archives please provide a link to the correct page.

A link to a site that sells the fan would be very nice, thanks for any support I can get on this issue.

Brad

Note: This is not the CPU fan, but the chipset fan built onto the motherboard.

Re: Z77 OC replacement fan source - chipset

Are there any manuf's markings or specs on the reverse side of that 40mm fan?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Not that it matters, but that fan is used to cool the CPU VRM heatsink, not the chipset.

The good news is given the way that fan is mounted, you have more flexibility replacing the fan with other 40mm fans you can find. The only problem would be the length of the screws used to mount the fan, since 40mm fans are available in several "thickness". The stock fan is likely 10mm thick, with replacements running from 10mm - 40mm thick. High RPM 40mm fans will be loud, and any fan speed control for that fan will be important to reduce noise. Finding the identical fan will be difficult, since the original is an OEM fan that is most likely not sold at the retail level.

A few examples of 40mm fans can be found here: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Fans & PC Cooling, Case Fans, Case Fan, 40mm

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        Not that it matters, but that fan is used to cool the CPU VRM heatsink, not the chipset.

The good news is given the way that fan is mounted, you have more flexibility replacing the fan with other 40mm fans you can find. The only problem would be the length of the screws used to mount the fan, since 40mm fans are available in several "thickness". The stock fan is likely 10mm thick, with replacements running from 10mm - 40mm thick. High RPM 40mm fans will be loud, and any fan speed control for that fan will be important to reduce noise. Finding the identical fan will be difficult, since the original is an OEM fan that is most likely not sold at the retail level.

A few examples of 40mm fans can be found here: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Fans & PC Cooling, Case Fans, Case Fan, 40mm
        the 10mm (or smaller) seems to fit quite well; I did have to clip the old power cable to remove the old hardware.

Thanks for the size info, the new fan seems to be running fine. I used the Noctua fan and it was a bit "over kill" with all the support connectors, but the quality seems to be very good.

Comment

Working...
        X