RAM/XMP issue with Extreme3 Gen3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM/XMP issue with Extreme3 Gen3

I recently updated my BIOS drivers to the latest one, after reading specifically on the asrock that my sandy bridge processor will work fine on it. After updating, I found that I lost the option to load my RAM's XMP profiles. I have 1866 sticks, but my UEFI only gives me the option to run 1333 at most. I tried updating my intel ME drivers as stated on the website, but still no luck. Still no xmp. This is unacceptable for me since i would to run my hardware the way they are intended to run. I even went as far as to swap out an ivy chip, but still no xmp. Help me out guys.

Re: RAM/XMP issue with Extreme3 Gen3

Did you enter all you hardware information when you registered? We cannot see what you are using, not sure even what board you have. Since I looked, it seems to be a Z68 EX 3 Gen 3.

What memory are you using (exact model number), and you can't set the speed to 1866 manually in the BIOS?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Did you enter all you hardware information when you registered? We cannot see what you are using, not sure even what board you have. Since I looked, it seems to be a Z68 EX 3 Gen 3.

What memory are you using (exact model number), and you can't set the speed to 1866 manually in the BIOS?
      Sorry abour that. Im using a 2500k on a z68 e3 gen3. My rams are F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL the 8gb gskill ripjawsx, that are supposedly 1866mhz.

And no, I can't seem to set it to 1866 from the BIOS. It only goes up to 1333 with no option for XMP

Comment

So your 1866 memory (which has an entry in your board's memory compatibility list) worked at that speed, and had an XMP profile entry in the BIOS before you updated to 2.10? Nothing changed when you tried an "ivy chip", an Ivy Bridge CPU, correct?

Sounds like a bad BIOS update. Did you apply 2.10 at any time, or did you skip that and try 2.20 or 2.30? If you did not flash to 2.10 at some point, you need to do that.

Also when flashing 2.10 you MUST leave the USB flash drive in the PC until AFTER Windows completely reboots after the BIOS flash, that is essential!!! Otherwise the Inte IME firmware that is part of the BIOS file will not be updated, and that can cause problems like you are describing.

Even if you did flash 2.10 earlier, do it again and do it as I described above.

Comment

So your 1866 memory (which has an entry in your board's memory compatibility list) worked at that speed, and had an XMP profile entry in the BIOS before you updated to 2.10? Nothing changed when you tried an "ivy chip", an Ivy Bridge CPU, correct?

Sounds like a bad BIOS update. Did you apply 2.10 at any time, or did you skip that and try 2.20 or 2.30? If you did not flash to 2.10 at some point, you need to do that.

Also when flashing 2.10 you MUST leave the USB flash drive in the PC until AFTER Windows completely reboots after the BIOS flash, that is essential!!! Otherwise the Inte IME firmware that is part of the BIOS file will not be updated, and that can cause problems like you are describing.

Even if you did flash 2.10 earlier, do it again and do it as I described above.
          Ive had quite a bit of luck with the beta bios that asrock has for this mobo. Xmp 1866 was working normally on this ivy chip. Im waiting for my friend to return with my 2500k, hopefully it's still working when I install it back on this motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Chriswhizptrp View Post
            Ive had quite a bit of luck with the beta bios that asrock has for this mobo. Xmp 1866 was working normally on this ivy chip. Im waiting for my friend to return with my 2500k, hopefully it's still working when I install it back on this motherboard.
            Doesn't the Sandybridge 2500K only support DDR3-1066/1333?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe-912 View Post
              Doesn't the Sandybridge 2500K only support DDR3-1066/1333?
              That's true, but that is the minimum memory speed guaranteed to work. Ivy Bridge i5 and i7 processors spec at DDR3-1333/1600 memory speed. Anything above those speeds are memory over clocks, but given compatible memory and a cooperative memory controller, those speeds can be surpassed. For example, my i7-2600K PC has 16GB at 1866, and my i5-3570K system has 16GB running at 2000.

Originally posted by Chriswhizptrp View Post
              Changing to a different processor won't fix your BIOS issue, a processor does not control what BIOS code exists in your system. You said you had a 2500K when the problem started, tried an Ivy chip, and now will try the 2500K again. How that will change anything does not make sense.

Your problem is most likely a corrupted BIOS flash, but if you are able to get it flashed correctly, then you should fix your problem. Now you said 1866 was working on the Ivy chip, first time you've said that, your first post said it didn't work, so this has become rather confused.

Comment

Your problem is most likely a corrupted BIOS flash, but if you are able to get it flashed correctly, then you should fix your problem. Now you said 1866 was working on the Ivy chip, first time you've said that, your first post said it didn't work, so this has become rather confused.
                I guess I was just a bit misunderstood. In my most recent post I've reported that I have luck by flashing the beta BIOS available on the website (2.31). If you read my post again I'm pretty sure I've written it there. I am aware that swapping out a processor will not change my pre-existing problem, but since the BIOS update (2.10) was geared towards accommodating the Ivy family, I figured that it just might be able to work. I was merely ruling out any BIOS to chip compatibility issues.

Anyway as I was saying, i flashed the latest beta version and had XMP 1866 working on the Ivy chip, which is why I want to try out the 2500k again. FYI, I just borrowed the Ivy chip for testing.

Am I making some sense now? :)

Thank you for all the replies, much appreciated. I will post updates when I slap on the 2500k after I get some sleep.

Comment

That's true, but that is the minimum memory speed guaranteed to work. Ivy Bridge i5 and i7 processors spec at DDR3-1333/1600 memory speed. Anything above those speeds are memory over clocks, but given compatible memory and a cooperative memory controller, those speeds can be surpassed. For example, my i7-2600K PC has 16GB at 1866, and my i5-3570K system has 16GB running at 2000.

Changing to a different processor won't fix your BIOS issue, a processor does not control what BIOS code exists in your system. You said you had a 2500K when the problem started, tried an Ivy chip, and now will try the 2500K again. How that will change anything does not make sense.

Oh I see, hope that works out then...

Comment

Blech. BETA BIOSes are for Gigabyte board Users.
                    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Working...
                    X