Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 + ASMedia 1061 Issues

Sorry for my bad english.

I bought this board a week ago and all of this week I try to fight with this board instead be happy with new mobo + CPU. I have unstable system with many random reboots/power off's. I changed only mobo + CPU, so problem was only something in new hardware.

Empirically, I found that problem is with this f*cking ASMedia 1061 SATA controller, but my main problem that I have 8 SATA(3 HDD + 4 SSD + 1 Acord ANS 9010) devices and I need this SATA slots.

What I was try to do:(all of this I did after I turned off "Aggressive SATA Link Power Management" in BIOS)

1) Move all SSD and Accord to Z87 controller. The system has become more stable in x5 times but still reboot 4-5 times per day.
    2) Install many versions of asmedia SATA drivers. I was try ver. 1.3.4.0(this version was stable with my previous mobo ASUS P8Z77-V), also was try 1.4.1. Unsuccessful.
    3) Was try to update firmware from here Firmwares but seems onboard controllers can't be upgraded I was try to boot with bootable flash + DOS, disconnect all sata devices, try AHCI and IDE mode and got error something like "error read version_Id". Also I was try new 2.0.2.0, 2.0.4.0, 2.0.8.0 but seems this drivers need to use after firmware upgrade. Unsuccessful.

All of this manipulations was accompanied with installing fresh Windows 7 x64 or uninstalling with controlling that all will be clean(with Revo uninstaller)

AND ONLY AFTER I TURNED OFF THIS CONTROLLER FROM BIOS - SYSTEM HAS BECOME STABLE!!!

But its not a solution for me because I need 8 sata slots and this feature(10 SATA slots) of Extreme 6 was decisive for me. Totally my SATA devices was rebooted/power off many times(may be 200-300) and now I don't know health of this devices.

ASRock - for what you produce your motherboards without good hardware testing? I bought unusable product and may be as result my sata devices significantly reduced his life.

And you not only one manufacturer who do like you. Before Extreme 6 I bought Asus Z87 Pro with same asmedia controller and with same problems!!! I already lost my money and many hours of my life. It's your main target?

So, how resolve my problem?
    Last edited by _Vetal_; 04-30-2014, 02:07 AM.

Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 + ASMedia 1061 Issues

Sorry to say, welcome to the ASMedia SATA chip issue club.

I have the same board as you do, but have never heard about issues with the ASMedia controllers in Windows 7. Windows 8, yes, I can't use them at all, the PC won't even boot if one drive is connected to the ASMedia controller when it is enabled. Now you say Windows 7 too? That is not good.

Did you try using the standard Windows 7 AHCI driver, msahci? You can change to that driver manually through Device Manager.

Keep Aggressive SATA Link Power Management disabled in the BIOS, it only causes problems when I have tried using it.

Question, are you using a "UEFI booting" Windows installation, if you are familiar with that?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Sorry to say, welcome to the ASMedia SATA chip issue club.

I have the same board as you do, but have never heard about issues with the ASMedia controllers in Windows 7. Windows 8, yes, I can't use them at all, the PC won't even boot if one drive is connected to the ASMedia controller when it is enabled. Now you say Windows 7 too? That is not good.

Did you try using the standard Windows 7 AHCI driver, msahci? You can change to that driver manually through Device Manager.

Keep Aggressive SATA Link Power Management disabled in the BIOS, it only causes problems when I have tried using it.

Question, are you using a "UEFI booting" Windows installation, if you are familiar with that?
      I was try just remove asmedia sata driver and windows used native drivers..but its didn't help.
      About "UEFI booting" Windows installation - it was not UEFI because in load menu..there was 2 lines with my bootable flash - when I choose UEFI there was nothing happend, and windows can install only when I choose not UEFI mode.

Luckily I found a way to solve the problem - I just put the motherboard back to the store. It was first and last asrock mobo that I bought.

Good luck all!

Comment

Originally posted by _Vetal_ View Post
        Sorry for my bad english.

I bought this board a week ago and all of this week I try to fight with this board instead be happy with new mobo + CPU. I have unstable system with many random reboots/power off's. I changed only mobo + CPU, so problem was only something in new hardware.

Empirically, I found that problem is with this f*cking ASMedia 1061 SATA controller, but my main problem that I have 8 SATA(3 HDD + 4 SSD + 1 Acord ANS 9010) devices and I need this SATA slots.

What I was try to do:(all of this I did after I turned off "Aggressive SATA Link Power Management" in BIOS)

1) Move all SSD and Accord to Z87 controller. The system has become more stable in x5 times but still reboot 4-5 times per day.
        2) Install many versions of asmedia SATA drivers. I was try ver. 1.3.4.0(this version was stable with my previous mobo ASUS P8Z77-V), also was try 1.4.1. Unsuccessful.
        3) Was try to update firmware from here Firmwares but seems onboard controllers can't be upgraded I was try to boot with bootable flash + DOS, disconnect all sata devices, try AHCI and IDE mode and got error something like "error read version_Id". Also I was try new 2.0.2.0, 2.0.4.0, 2.0.8.0 but seems this drivers need to use after firmware upgrade. Unsuccessful.

All of this manipulations was accompanied with installing fresh Windows 7 x64 or uninstalling with controlling that all will be clean(with Revo uninstaller)

AND ONLY AFTER I TURNED OFF THIS CONTROLLER FROM BIOS - SYSTEM HAS BECOME STABLE!!!

But its not a solution for me because I need 8 sata slots and this feature(10 SATA slots) of Extreme 6 was decisive for me. Totally my SATA devices was rebooted/power off many times(may be 200-300) and now I don't know health of this devices.

ASRock - for what you produce your motherboards without good hardware testing? I bought unusable product and may be as result my sata devices significantly reduced his life.

And you not only one manufacturer who do like you. Before Extreme 6 I bought Asus Z87 Pro with same asmedia controller and with same problems!!! I already lost my money and many hours of my life. It's your main target?

So, how resolve my problem?
        Originally posted by _Vetal_ View Post
        I was try just remove asmedia sata driver and windows used native drivers..but its didn't help.
        About "UEFI booting" Windows installation - it was not UEFI because in load menu..there was 2 lines with my bootable flash - when I choose UEFI there was nothing happend, and windows can install only when I choose not UEFI mode.

Luckily I found a way to solve the problem - I just put the motherboard back to the store. It was first and last asrock mobo that I bought.

Good luck all!
        So the ASUS and ASRock boards you had with the same ASMedia SATA controller, both had the same problem. IMO, that means the ASMedia controller itself has the problem, not the boards themselves.

I must agree that a board manufacture should verify that all the features of their product should work. I'm surprised that the ASMedia SATA chip does not work with Windows 7, mine have. Windows 8 is another story, which did not exist in its final form when these boards were designed.

Mother board manufactures do not create drivers for any of the I/O, audio, and video chips used on their products, they are dependent on the chip manufacture to provide the drivers. So they may find themselves in a situation where certain components of their products that they purchased don't work with new major software releases, like Windows 8.

I'm not trying to excuse the mother board manufactures, but there are certain realities of the situation that should not be ignored. I hope you find a board that works for you.

Comment

Working...
        X