Denied access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denied access

:cry: Pleeeze help! I havent got a clue whats happened but I keep getting access denied on all my audio and video files, make sure disk is available for all txt etc files.
    I am running xp pro, athlon 2000xp,512 ddr, Maxtor 60gb 7200 (system files), and west digital 80gb (files etc) both unpartitioned.
    I have tried a reformat and reinstallation of os and before doing any program, drivers installs or os mods have tried accessing files on d: using media basic microsoft programs like mediaplayer, notepad,wordpad etc, which usually open these files without any probs.
    I cant even move or copy any of the files to back them up.

i had this problem too... man did it take a while to fix it..

try this
    go to folder options
    under the "view" tab find the check box that says "Use simple file sharing (recommended)", uncheck it, and apply

now you have more control over the permissions of each file
    considering that only certain files are affected, do a search for *.avi (or other files that the extensions arent working)

when the list appears, right click on one of the files and choose properties. You should see a security tab, click on it. My guess is you'll see an empty white box. Below it, you'll see 2 buttons, Add and remove, click on Add.

A window will pop up, Click on advance, another window will pop up. now click on Find now. A list of groups/users will appear, select those groups/users you would allow to open the files, then click ok. Click ok on all the other boxes.

Now that you are done with that file, ctrl+a(including the file you fixed earlier), and go to properties -> security. They will say that the permissions are different and wether you want to reset it, click yes. Now the white box will show the users you added earlier. Congrats your file permissions have been fixed :p

Repeat the process with other file types. You could just select all from the start, but that normally takes a longer load time

I dunno if there's a simpler method behind it, but i know this works :)

Comment

Thanx for that. Tried it but no joy. Bearing in mind that I only have the basic os (xp pro) installed, and only one account set up ie:Administrator Rights. I get this error message, "You do not have permission to view or edit current permission settings for"...." but you can take ownership or change auditing settings" Is it at all possible that an undetected virus has taken over rights to view or edit these files. The properties of each file show the correct program in the open with box.
      PS If I try to change over ownership or audit I get the following when I click ok.
      "A disk error occurred during a write operation"
      I dont want to end up losing everything if I can avoid it.

Comment

could it be possible that your harddisk is getting screwy?(is that even a word? :p)

well, i think there's one way you can back up your files, install another OS like win98se(if you're not using the NTFS file system), boot up with the other OS, and back up all your files

Comment

Working...
        X