Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 990FX Extreme9 and32GB HyperX Fury 1866 giving C5 BIOS Error

Hello,
    I just purchased an ASRock 990FX Extreme9 and used Kingston's RAM Configurator on their site to determine the memory compatible with their board as I ordered all through Micro Center and wanted to get parts all at one time, and it showed the 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury BLUE kit was compatible with the board, so I purchased 2 sets of that to get 32GB (4 sticks) as I am configuring a home ESXi server.

When I put in 2 sticks it Dual Mode (Dim 1 and 3) it boots fine, when I try to add the other 2 it gives me a C5 error. I know it isn't the memory sticks themselves, as I have swapped them out and get the same result. I also updated the BIOS from 1.50 to latest 1.70. Finally, I was able to go into the BIOS and force the memory speed from AUTO to DDR3-1600, then I was able to get all 4 sticks to configure and the system worked... well I thought it did.

It was working fine on my workbench, I had it going for 2 days, turned it off at night and turned off the surge protector so no power was getting to system and it booted fine today, then I moved the system into place down in my storage area where I have my other servers, and it did the same thing even though the memory speed was forced. To correct it, I had to remove sticks 2 and 4, start it into bios, verify it still said DDR3-1600, just hit save and exit, then shutdown, re-install the 2 sticks and it booted fine again...

I was originally going to get an AMD-FX9590 processor, but prices went up so I opted with an FX-8350 instead which works for what I am doing, but I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by doing that with memory capabilities.

Has anyone run into this before? ASRock's memory site is not that inclusive and I went with Kingston since that was available at Micro Center and at a good deal with good reviews.

Since I just got it, if it is a memory compatibility issue, I can take it back. Otherwise, if it is a setting, or voltage setting, I can try I will do that instead.

Thanks.

Re: 990FX Extreme9 and32GB HyperX Fury 1866 giving C5 BIOS Error

Push an additional +0.05 to +0.10 into the CPU/NB(mem controller) and retry. Also watch your temps while doing this!

AMD CPU + G.Skill DDR3-1866 - G.SKILL TECH FORUM and scrool to "[FX or A Series CPU]"

Four sticks @ 32GB will stress the mem controller and doing the above usually corrects/cures this. That 8350 is natively rated for two sticks at 1866. I'm thinking the Fury BLUE is 1866?
    Last edited by - wardog -; 07-19-2014, 09:15 PM. Reason: add "natively"
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Also.

Check that across both these 2x8GB kits that you have that their SPD/XMP tables match, exactly, across ALL four sticks.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
        I'm thinking the Fury BLUE is 1866?
        Duh! My bad. It's posted right there in the Topic, 1866

Comment

Working...
        X