Machine_Exception_Error while Windows 8.1 booting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine_Exception_Error while Windows 8.1 booting

I read that Machine Exception Errors are hardware related, so I'll start here. What happened: I shut down my computer, turned off the power conditioner at the receptacle and changed power distributors; i.e., disconnecting power cords from the old and reconnecting to the new. However, the power line from the conditioner to the computer wasn't affected - or did it move. Then I restarted and about 5 seconds after Windows began its startup process it froze. At this time, the blue four square (or rectangle) was on the screen and the dotted circle underneath was rotating. It was the latter that stopped. I shut down with the power button and after a minute restarted. Same thing. The third time, after about 1-2 seconds of the circle a message came up underneath, "Preparing Automatic Repair." Then after a bit, the screen switched to the powder blue one with the message, "Your PC ran into a problem...collecting some error info...we'll restart for you (0% complete)." But it doesn't change from that (I've never seen it change from 0% on the very occasional times that message has come up - not recently). Underneath that message is the reference to look up Machine_Check_Exception, but no codes along with it. I've tried several more times, but one or the other of these scenarios occurs. I haven't done anything inside the computer, but did reconnect all external cables. One other thing I notice since this started is that the keyboard light is remaining on when I shut down manually (until I disconnect and reconnect its PS/2 connector).

Any ideas about what might have happened or how to approach the problem? I've got system and software backups on internal HDDs, but if I understand correctly, this is a hardware problem. Thanks,
    Last edited by genegold; 07-26-2014, 01:51 AM.
    ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Intel i7-4790K
    32 GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 RAM (Ares 4x8gb)
    EVGA GTX950 SC
    Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C cooler w/ Nexus Silent Fan
    Seasonic X650 PSU
    Samsung Pro 850 256GB SSD (system drive)
    SanDisk ExtremePro 480, Seagate 1TB, 2TB and 2x 3TB SATA 6Gb/s
    Plextor PX-891SA CD/DVD Writer/Player
    Dell U2412M Monitor (1920x1200)
    IBM Model M keyboard / Bornd M120 wireless mouse
    Thermaltake F31 Case
    Canon MP640 / Brother HL-2270DW printers
    Audio system: Dac + Powered speakers + USB card + LPS + power cond./distrib.
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: Machine_Exception_Error while Windows 8.1 booting

did you move or bump your pc at all?

sometimes a knock can disturn the ram or cpu cooler/graphics card ect and cause boot issues

does it boot ok now? if not try re seating the memory/gpu an or do a clear but make a note of all your bios/oc settings as it will reset them all
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

No, I didn't move or bump it, and resetting RAM and other internal cables, and then resetting the BIOS didn't solve it. But I was thinking overnight that this sort of reminds me of a boot problem I (and some others) had with another USB sound card, where boot hung on the BIOS screen. So I unhooked the LPS power connector to the USB card and reconnected the line from the PSU and here I am, this time with the desktop instead of laptop. So I just need to explore the LPS issue. Thanks.

Update: Turned out apparently to be the power cord for the LPS slightly unseated.
      Last edited by genegold; 07-26-2014, 12:22 PM.
      EVGA GTX950 SC
      Seasonic X650 PSU
      Thermaltake F31 Case
      Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

Question: Why does the computer not boot when an add-on USB card is not working properly? As I noted in my previous post, this happened before with a PCI-Express card, where it got stuck on the Post screen, while this time it was a PCI card.
        EVGA GTX950 SC
        Seasonic X650 PSU
        Thermaltake F31 Case
        Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

Working...
        X