Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z97 asrock MB issue windows 8.1 not seeing hard drive but bios does

Hi Guys,
    Well its been a long time since I built one but I finished up tonight and got the unit to post,installed windows 8.1 and drivers via cd.My shop doesn't have a hard line internet connection.

All seems to work well except windows doesn't see my other drives.I installed windows in a samsung evo 840 ssd 240 gig.Seems to work ...bios sees my other 2 drives but windows does not..Could this be an update issue? The MB sees them but I can't find a way to search for them in windows.

I am not very familiar with 8.1 and when I did my last build 680 boards were all the rage.So its been awhile...I did a quck search but didn't find anything about this ...

MB is an asrock z97 extreme6
    cpu is the lastest and greatest haswell
    windows 8.1

Re: z97 asrock MB issue windows 8.1 not seeing hard drive but bios does

Are the other two drives in that PC new out of the box?

If so, they need to be initialized and formatted in Disk Management before Windows will recognize them.

Did you mean a Nvidia 680 mother board chipset? OMG, while they may have been the rage, they were among the worst chipsets ever made.

Comment

Parsec,
      Yes the drives are new,I kept looking for disc management software in windows but I was tired and unfamiliar with 8.1.

It looks like maybe once I find that I can get them to work,thanks for your help.

Yes the 680i chipset was last build ...this one went together much easier and I like the way the bios works.....I am way behind in the learning curve on 8.1 but i think I will be able to learn it.

I wanted to make sure I got everything working so I can do some cable management inside the case,then I can bring it into the house and update it the rest of the way.

This sure is fast compared to my socket 775 board!!!!!

Edited...I was able to find one of the hardrives in windows however since I recognized and formatted I am nowgetting error 6f on the MB..My manual does not not show that code.The unit is cycling on and off like it is stuck in a loop.
      I tried to clear the cmos via button on the back and then the first cycle was slightly longer after but then it wnt back to the on/off.
      Last edited by Chuckus; 07-30-2014, 07:40 AM.

Comment

In Windows 8.1, move the mouse pointer to the lower left hand corner of the monitor, you'll then see the Windows 8 icon. Right click your mouse, find Disk Management in the list and click it.

Any idea what BIOS version you have? Have you adjusted any BIOS settings? How did you install drivers?

POST code 6F is, North Bridge DXE initialization, which tells you a lot of nothing.

Your board has two SATA controllers, the main Intel and the add on ASMedia. Use the Intel SATA ports first, the ASMedia are the top four in the stack of ports, with the board mounted in a case, check the manual if you're not sure.

You may need to disconnect one or both of the new HDDs to get the PC to boot, one may be bad causing that POST error.

Comment

Hi parsec.
          I tried unplugging both drives already. It didn't make any difference.i left the ssd connected but I will try that later today when I get home. Bios version p130.Drivers I installed off of the cd.i haven't connect to internet yet because I don't have hardwire connection in the shop more light in the shop than in the house where it will reside.

The other possibility is that the error code completely unrelated.

Comment

So you still have the start up problem? You can't get into the BIOS, right?

The Clr CMOS button on the IO panel should be used ONLY when the PSU is turned off and unplugged from power.

When you get the start and stop problem when you the start the PC, try pressing the Reset button on the PC case or board.

Any idea where the drives were connected, Intel or ASMedia ports?

Comment

I'm sure that they were connected on the bottom ports. So I think the Intel ports.i think is 1 esata then the ports directly above. One of the hard drives never did show up. I was able to see the ssd with os and the other Seagate drive in bios.

Correct I cannot enter bios. I did try the reset button on the mb as well as the power button. No change in the result.

Comment

Sorry if I wasn't clear last post ..nothing is connected to esata.just to the ports above

Comment

Just wanted to post up that I got an email from John asrock tech support with some instructions.

I'll report my findings after trying the troubleshooting methods I was given. I like the fact I got a same day response. I would much prefer to work through these things instead of rma...gives me an opportunity to learn more.

Comment

I think the solution has been found...after trying the suggested ideas from tech support and the folks here on the forum. Turns out the HD switch on the mb in position b and needs to be position a. I don't know what the switch is for...the manual shows location but not much more.its under sata ports.Anyway once I switched it I was able to post enter bios and os. I really appreciate the help and advice.Thanks guys. So far it seems to be working and it is downloading updates.

Comment

The only other issue I see at this time is that... it seems to download updates and other stuff normally but man its so slow loading Web pages... like almost 10 seconds. I tried installing Mozilla because I thought it might be an is thing. Mozilla is really slow too. Must be a setting somewhere in os or on network management. I dunno it's bad though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckus View Post
                        I think the solution has been found...after trying the suggested ideas from tech support and the folks here on the forum. Turns out the HD switch on the mb in position b and needs to be position a. I don't know what the switch is for...the manual shows location but not much more.its under sata ports.Anyway once I switched it I was able to post enter bios and os. I really appreciate the help and advice.Thanks guys. So far it seems to be working and it is downloading updates.
                        For those who stumble upon this thread at a later date:
                        http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...tml#post487145
                        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckus View Post
                          what is this "hd switch"? I have a z97 Pro4 but don't see any HD switch.... How do the manual named this switch? can you tell me where i can find it?
                          thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by iljoe View Post
                            what is this "hd switch"? I have a z97 Pro4 but don't see any HD switch.... How do the manual named this switch? can you tell me where i can find it?
                            thanks in advance
                            As the post you quoted said, "I don't know what the switch is for...".

That is true, it is not an "HD switch", it is the switch for the Z97 Extreme 6's dual BIOS chips, to select the standard or backup BIOS. The standard BIOS is active with the switch in the A position, the backup BIOS in the B position.

What confused him is this board's "HDD Saver" power connector, that is next to the BIOS selection switch. HDD Saver is an option that allows up to two HDDs to be turned on and off in the BIOS or with the A-Tuning program that runs in Windows.

The Z97 Pro 4 board does not have either of those options, no Dual BIOS or HDD Saver.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                              As the post you quoted said, "I don't know what the switch is for...".

That is true, it is not an "HD switch", it is the switch for the Z97 Extreme 6's dual BIOS chips, to select the standard or backup BIOS. The standard BIOS is active with the switch in the A position, the backup BIOS in the B position.

What confused him is this board's "HDD Saver" power connector, that is next to the BIOS selection switch. HDD Saver is an option that allows up to two HDDs to be turned on and off in the BIOS or with the A-Tuning program that runs in Windows.

The Z97 Pro 4 board does not have either of those options, no Dual BIOS or HDD Saver.
                              thanks for your explanation. Now it is clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X