Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Extreme9 z97 with SLI and Samsung XP941

Hi,
    I'm planning to upgrade my mobo to extreme9 z97 but got confused after reading a review online.
    The review said that if I use the Samsung ssd xp941 in the Ultra M.2 slot then my 2 geforce gtx in SLI speed will be reduce to x16/x8 or even x8/x8 when the original speed suppose to be x16/x16 on the extreme9.
    Is this info true?

Thanks.

Re: ASRock Extreme9 z97 with SLI and Samsung XP941

Originally posted by kenshinco View Post
    Hi,
    I'm planning to upgrade my mobo to extreme9 z97 but got confused after reading a review online.
    The review said that if I use the Samsung ssd xp941 in the Ultra M.2 slot then my 2 geforce gtx in SLI speed will be reduce to x16/x8 or even x8/x8 when the original speed suppose to be x16/x16 on the extreme9.
    Is this info true?

Thanks.
    The Ultra M.2 slot uses up to four PCIe 3.0 lanes from the CPU, and the XP941 is an x4 interface M.2 SSD. So it is quite possible for that SSD to affect the available lanes for video cards.

Actually, the Plex chip on this board (or any other board) does not really add 16 more PCIe lanes. The chip switches lanes between all the boards when the lanes are actually being used.

I can't predict the actual result on the PCIe lane distribution when an XP941 is used in this board, but it is likely to have as much affect as adding another video card to the board.

Comment

thank you for the reply

Comment

Originally posted by kenshinco View Post
        thank you for the reply
        From the Z97 Manual:

Using a Single Graphics card in the PCIE2 slot will run at x16.
        Using Two Two Graphics Cards PCIE2 PCIE4 in
        CrossFireX or SLI Mode reduces speed to x8

Comment

Working...
        X