Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error! System cannot get FW version. A3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error! System cannot get FW version. A3.

Hello,

First off, My Specs:

ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
    i5 2500K (Sandy)
    Gskill 8GB DDR3 1600
    Windows 8.1 Pro

Recently updated my bios to 2.20 downloaded from my mobo page. ASRock website says "Supports Intel's 3rd Generation CPU". It DOES NOT say that Sandy Bridge CPU's are NOT supported. So after the flash, I started to have boot problems. In rare occasions it would boot normally, but most of the time it failed booting around 5-10 times before finally booting up. Failed boot was like this: motherboard gets power, fans start to spin, but USB devices won't start and my monitor stays black. It froze there for about 10 seconds, then rebooted itself until the boot was finally successful.

Yesterday, after opening a support ticket with ASRock, ASRock emailed me and told me that the latest BIOS should not be flashed on systems with Sandy Bridge CPU, so based on his recommendation I flashed an earlier version (1.10). Again ASRock website says "After updating this BIOS, please flash newer versions only", but I googled a bit (apparently not hard enough) and I came to conclusion that as long as you are going from and UEFI BIOS to UEFI BIOS, flashing older version would work (plus ASRock support told me to flash a lower version). I couldn't have been more wrong.
    Flashing was successful in Windows until my PC rebooted after it. I didn't get BIOS splash screen, just a black screen saying "Error! System cannot get FW version!" and code A3 at the corner.

Now I cannot get past this screen or even into the BIOS.

Any assistance or recommendation would be appreciated.

Thank you

Re: Error! System cannot get FW version. A3.

Originally posted by kswizzlez View Post
    Hello,

First off, My Specs:

ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
    i5 2500K (Sandy)
    Gskill 8GB DDR3 1600
    Windows 8.1 Pro

Recently updated my bios to 2.20 downloaded from my mobo page. ASRock website says "Supports Intel's 3rd Generation CPU". It DOES NOT say that Sandy Bridge CPU's are NOT supported. So after the flash, I started to have boot problems. In rare occasions it would boot normally, but most of the time it failed booting around 5-10 times before finally booting up. Failed boot was like this: motherboard gets power, fans start to spin, but USB devices won't start and my monitor stays black. It froze there for about 10 seconds, then rebooted itself until the boot was finally successful.

Yesterday, after opening a support ticket with ASRock, ASRock emailed me and told me that the latest BIOS should not be flashed on systems with Sandy Bridge CPU, so based on his recommendation I flashed an earlier version (1.10). Again ASRock website says "After updating this BIOS, please flash newer versions only", but I googled a bit (apparently not hard enough) and I came to conclusion that as long as you are going from and UEFI BIOS to UEFI BIOS, flashing older version would work (plus ASRock support told me to flash a lower version). I couldn't have been more wrong.
    Flashing was successful in Windows until my PC rebooted after it. I didn't get BIOS splash screen, just a black screen saying "Error! System cannot get FW version!" and code A3 at the corner.

Now I cannot get past this screen or even into the BIOS.

Any assistance or recommendation would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Haven't seen one of these problems for a while now, fortunately, but it was bound to happen.

Please see the following thread for basic information about this situation: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...er-boards.html

It is unusual to have ASRock support tell someone "... that the latest BIOS should not be flashed on systems with Sandy Bridge CPU".

Did they tell you anything else about solving your problem?

There are users of some ASRock boards like yours that have flashed to the BIOS/UEFI that supports Ivy Bridge processors, while using Sandy Bridge CPUs, and their PC's work fine. That outcome seems to depend on the update method they used, and if it was done correctly. That is the Instant Flash method with the BIOS file on a USB flash drive, that is left in the PC until it completely reboots after the BIOS update.

The Windows update method (all your board has) is questionable IMO regarding its result given your situation. The Windows BIOS update method must be executed as "Run as Administrator" in Windows, right click on the file and choose that option. Also, the Intel IME software must be updated after the BIOS and IME firmware update, you did not mention doing that.

The main problem is the Sandy to Ivy processor support update changes the Intel IME firmware (part of the BIOS file), which interacts with the CPU and BIOS. Normally the problem with this update is the IME firmware fails to be updated, or updated correctly. That is an unknown, or mystery about what actually happens. The error message you get, System cannot get FW version, fits this scenario perfectly, although the reference to "FW" could be about the BIOS itself.

One known fix for this problem is replacing the BIOS/CMOS chip on the board with one that has a Sandy Bridge support BIOS on it. Given your description of what the PC is doing now, replacing the BIOS/CMOS chip may be your only option.

In the future, don't use the Windows BIOS update methods, they tend to fail more than any other method.

Comment

Thank you very much for the informative reply. I went ahead and ordered a new BIOS chip with an earlier BIOS version, Hopefully this solves my issue.

The tech did not really tell me anything else other than the BIOS files out there for my board (2.10 and 2.20) are not for Sandy bridge processors, which is a little concerning since the download site does not really say that before downloading. The error I described in my original post only occurred after I tried to downgrade back to 1.10 through windows. The system after the 2.20 update was just unstable and there were odd cpu multiplier issues where it wouldn't go above 37, etc...maybe I did not update correctly based on the other steps with the IME firmware.

I did use the windows flash method for both updates, but I believe there is a method within the BIOS itself that I will definitely use in the future, and try and avoid the windows method.

I can report back once I receive my new BIOS chip and install it (hopefully that is a simple process).

Thank you again.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, glad I could help.

The new BIOS chip should work, others have replaced them in this situation with success. As you know, the chip is in a socket, so just carefully remove it, but FIRST carefully note the orientation of the chip, the text on the chip and usually a white dot on one corner of the chip indicates pin one. You must match the new chip with the other to put it in right.

When you start the PC the first time after inserting the new chip, and before you start the PC, follow this procedure:

Do NOT clear the BIOS/CMOS after inserting the new BIOS chip. Start the PC and go directly into the BIOS, don't let the PC boot into Windows. If the BIOS chip comes with instructions that contradict this, ignore me and use those instructions.

Go to the Exit menu, and click on Load Defaults. Don't change anything in the BIOS yet, just save and exit, and go right back into the BIOS.

Go through the BIOS screens and see how it looks. Check if the Main screen displays your CPU and memory info correctly. Check for incorrect values for BIOS options, most should be Auto. Fix anything that is obviously wrong. Save and Exit again, and go right back into the BIOS again.

Now set important options you use, but IMO leave the CPU and memory settings on Auto at first. Such as, if you used AHCI or RAID for the SATA mode, set that correctly. Set your graphics selection (PCIe or Onboard), boot order and whatever else you need. Save and Exit, and let it boot to Windows.

If you installed the Ivy Bridge compatible IME software, uninstall that and install the earlier version for your CPU.

The things you described about the CPU multipliers acting strange is exactly what happens when the IME firmware is not right.

I also strongly suggest to NOT update to the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS... just sayin'

Yes, please let us know how the new chip works out!

Comment

OK, reporting back after I installed the new bios chip...

Unfortunately I still cannot enter the bios for some reason. I mash DEL, F2, F11, all the keys to try and enter, yet it does not load. Then my USB keyboard locks up on the screenshot I posted to this reply. It looks like it is seeing my new chip 1.10, however for some reason it will not load me into the BIOS. I have unplugged everything but the keyboard and monitor/graphics card on boot. I have not tried to clear the CMOS or anything like that either.

I am at a loss as to what to try next, and any suggestions would be welcome.

Edit: just looked up the Dr. DeBug code on my motherboard: it was showing A3. The manual says this is "IDE Enable", which I am not sure what that is.

Thank you!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by kswizzlez; 09-13-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Oh great, but I'm not very surprised really. Your situation is similar to having a new board/system being used for the first time out of the box, if you know what I mean. Or at least I hope that is what is happening.

No idea what keyboard you use, but do you have a very basic wired USB keyboard, or even better a PS2 keyboard? Or one of those USB to PS2 adapters you can use with a wired USB keyboard? You want to try the most simple keyboard possible, that does not need driver support. Yes I know you have not booted into the OS, but it makes a difference.

Also be sure to use a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel, not through a USB hub, and not wireless. A PS2 keyboard would be the best in your situation. I actually keep one on hand for times like this.

This might not help, but try pressing the Reset button on your PC case. I've seen that fix new BIOS update boot loops, so might do something for you.

Comment

I am getting my hands on an old ps/2 keyboard tomorrow. I will report back. Thank you!

Comment

OK...reporting back after getting a PS2 keyboard. All worked well after plugging in the PS2 keyboard. I was able to get into the BIOS, load UEFI defaults, reboot back into BIOS and reset a couple necessary settings like IDE to AHCI. Save and exit, and I am back in Windows, no problem.

Another issue cropped up once I unplugged the PS2 keyboard and plugged back in my USB devices: I still get the same locking up issue upon boot if I leave my keyboard plugged into a USB 2.0 port. It works in windows, however upon reboot, the system hangs and will not boot. I tried other USB 2.0 ports having the same result. I then plugged it into a USB 3.0 port and rebooted. Windows booted normally with no issues. All seemed well until I tried to get back into the BIOS.
                Now, neither keyboard will allow me into the BIOS upon reboot. The boot sequence seems to go straight through my F2 and DEL mashing and just boots straight into Windows. I tried both keyboards to no avail...one at a time, both plugged in at the same time, different USB ports...all to no avail.

I also tried booting without any USB devices plugged in except for keyboard, to no avail.

I should note I reinstalled the Intel ME software from their website just to make sure that is not an issue.

Any other ideas I could possibly try?

EDIT: was able to get back into the BIOS with the PS2 keyboard, however same issue as above with the USB keyboard...not sure what the deal is.

Thanks again!
                Last edited by kswizzlez; 09-14-2014, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Man, you are just having sooo much fun! Glad to see you are hanging in there despite all the problems you've had.

Your problem actually fits into my observations about USB devices, drivers, and their apparent connection to a board's BIOS. I should have predicted your current problems.

If what I suggest now fixes your problems, that will confirm what I have suspected for a while now. I did not go into this using you as my guinea pig, but it's turning out that way in a sense. Fortunately, we are both learning things here.

First, go into Device Manager and open the USB Controllers list, and then one at a time the Properties for every USB controller/hub. Yes there are many entries, try to find the ones that are the main controllers. You may be stuck doing the following to all of them, but at least it is simple and quick.

What I want you to do is install their drivers again. You don't need to find or download the drivers, just click on the Driver tab, and then click the Update Driver button. Select Browse my computer for driver software, and then the Let me pick from a list of device drivers.... You should get the same driver that is already installed at the top of the list, highlighted. Then just click on Next and let it install the driver.

When you are done with several or all of them, restart the PC.

If the USB keyboard that you usually use has any kind of software that you installed, even if it is a Microsoft keyboard, install the software again. You could uninstall the software first, but just run the installer again. As long as the installer actually runs and does not quit because the software is already installed, that may be enough.

Sounds a bit weird, I know, but I haven't given you bad advice yet, have I? Your keyboard should be recognized after this procedure and allow you to get into the BIOS.

Comment

Should I unplug the keyboard and any other USB devices prior to Updating the USB drivers? I just tried it with all my devices plugged in to no avail.

Comment

It should make no difference if the USB devices were connected or not. You can disconnect them now and plug them in again, but you've no doubt done that since trying the driver reloads.

BTW, what USB keyboard are you using? I've never seen a keyboard do that.

You mentioned you installed the IME software again, "... from their website.". Is that the ver:8.1.2.1318, or ver:8.0.2.1410? The first one is the Windows 8 beta version, the second a Windows 7 version. BOTH of these are for use with Ivy Bridge processors.

Try this version, directly from Intel: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...21764&lang=eng

Since you're using Windows 8.1, I imagine you're using the Windows Fast Start feature, enabled by default. A hibernate type file is used for this feature, that saves certain internal data that is used over rather than created. We can try the following but I don't know if it will change anything.

Open up Power Option by right clicking with the mouse pointer in the lower left corner of the screen and select Power Options. On the upper left hand side of that screen is "Choose what the power buttons do", click that.

In the next screen, find Shutdown settings, and clear the check from "Turn on fast startup". You can always reset that later. You may need to click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable", near the top of this screen, first. Click Save changes when done.

You'll need to shutdown completely, actually right click with the mouse pointer in the lower left corner of the screen and choose Shutdown, which does a normal, non-fast startup shutdown. If you don't turn off fast startup, the file it uses will likely not get removed or recreated, both of which I want to happen.

I'm really not impressed by the way ASRock organizes things (??) regarding the Sandy to Ivy processor update. Very little is described about which files are for what usage. Plus everything pre-Ivy Bridge has been removed, as if everyone using this board now uses an Ivy Bridge processor. Plus the version of AXTU is the Ivy Bridge compatible version. Are all these things compatible with Sandy Bridge processors too?

I'd like you to use a later BIOS besides the one you have, but not an Ivy Bridge version. I can never remember the FTP address that might get you to a different BIOS version, if we even knew what version numbers existed.

Comment

Thank you again for your suggestions and I will try them when I get home from work today.

To answer a couple of your questions:

I am using the Corsair Vengeance K90. It does have 2 usb plugs, one for the keyboard and another for a usb port on the actual keyboard itself (I made sure I was plugging in the keyboard USB plug...I've made that mistake before.)

I did install the "latest" version of the IME software which was version IME 10 (10.0.1.1000). Of course based on your post, I'm sure this was incorrect and will have to downgrade to the link you posted. Question: is there a proper way to uninstall IME 10 before installed the one you posted? The reason I ask is because I did not see anything related to IME in my uninstall programs list when I checked initially. Hopefully this wrong version is the culprit, and I can just reinstall over the top of my existing version.

I actually am not using the Fast Start feature. I disabled that when I first started using 8.1, just because I like a "true" shutdown, and don't really care about boot speeds.

I do agree with you about the Sandy support, I was miffed that there were no links to previous BIOS versions on their site (especially if these 2.x versions don't support Sandy's). For what it's worth they sent me a BIOS chip with 1.10 on it, so at least that seems stable enough. If there was an FTP site with previous versions I would be curious to see how many 1.x versions they had prior to the 2.0 (Ivy versions).

Thanks again, and I will report back in a few hours. The fun continues! :)

Comment

Still with me, that's great. Thanks for the "like" too.

You should be seeing something like "Management Engine Components" in the Programs and Features list. If you don't see anything with "Management Engine" or just "ME", or "IME Firmware Recovery Agent", then nothing may have installed from the IME version 10 installer.

The thing with IME is it has changed with each new Intel processor generation and corresponding chipsets. The earlier versions such as those for the 6 series chipsets are different than the versions for the latest chipsets. With each new processor/chipset generation, what IME does has evolved and changed. The version that you said you installed, 10.0.1.1000, has this description from Intel:

I recall someone else trying that version with a standard desktop board (not NUC), and it did nothing IIRC.

Note that Intel maintains multiple versions of the IME installation program, depending on the platform, so the current IME installers don't seem to be general, any processor/chipset. This is what Intel currently has for downloading, notice the different versions:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...agement+engine

If the latest or any IME installer was generic, why maintain the earlier versions?

So try the version I suggested for your board from Intel, since we don't have access to the original version for your board when using a Sandy Bridge processor, from ASRock.

I ask about the keyboard since some models must have their software/driver installed to work correctly. LogiTech keyboard are a main example of this. I'm not sure about your Corsair keyboard, you can confirm that for me.

Comment

It does look like there is a firmware/software update out there for my keyboard. In the ZIP file I downloaded from Corsair it looks like it adds some sort of standard/BIOS mode for the keyboard so that it is easily recognizable or something along those lines (enabled via a shortcut key). I will try that as well.

Comment

OK, reporting back once again. I uninstalled the version 10 of IME and installed the one linked in the previous post. I also updated my keyboard FW just for kicks, and now if I do a little trick (there is a Windows Lock key + F1) it will go into "standard mode". This allows me to enter into the BIOS, however now my mouse is all inverted (I move mouse to the right, pointer goes up; move pointer up it goes left, all weird like). I've never seen this happen before.

Also, when I try and enter in values for CPU multiplier etc, the keyboard does not enter the proper number, and instead enters in some other values, so there is definitely still something "off".

EDIT: plugged in my PS2 keyboard and was able to edit values properly, the mouse was still all wonky however with the inverted movements.

EDIT: another thing I noticed is that if I plug my usb keyboard into another USB port, the computer will not boot and hangs on the screenshot from my earlier post. At the top it says the current version of the Intel ME firmware is 7.0.4.1197.

EDIT: tried updating the drivers for the USB hosts/controllers again as you instructed earlier to no avail.
                              Last edited by kswizzlez; 09-15-2014, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X